Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 choke cable options  (Read 349 times)

Offline Dunnes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Name: Dickie Talma
DR650 choke cable options
« on: April 28, 2020, 01:37:44 pm »
Dagse Dogs

I'm helping out my swaer with his DR during lockdown. The choke cable seems properly seized. No amount of Q20 will dislodge this thing. Even when using a cable oiler, the Q20 does not even force past the "blockage".
My swaer says the cable just all of a sudden stopped working, which makes me think some of the strands snapped and locked up inside. But why would the Q20 not flow passed this blockage. Ek krap al my kop vir 2 dae oor hierdie probleem.

Now we are thinking of ditching the choke cable and using a lever type thing on the carb, instead of the cable. Apparently the cable does seize easily from water ingress at the top when you don't maintain it often, so it might be better than getting a new cable and housing.

Is there such a lever thing available? Im trying to contact Suzuki as I believe the DRZ400 has such a lever. Will it fit on the stock DR650 carb?

Thanks

Offline madmax

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
Re: DR650 choke cable options
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 01:39:35 pm »
my drz has no choke cable but a button on the carb
fornicate the proletariat

Offline Dunnes

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 02:21:00 pm »
Thanks madmax. I saw this post (http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=72415.msg1496544#msg1496544) of Milddog's DRZ. Here is the specific photo:

Is that what your button looks like?

Do you think it might work on this carb? The stock carb of the DR650SE has a plastic nut thing (see my photo below) that screws into the carb. The cable then goes through a 90 degree bend (not in picture).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:22:56 pm by Dunnes »

Offline Crab

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 05:44:53 pm »
Just replace the cable. Or if your cheap, use a bicycle break cable cut to length and solder on the appropriate end piece.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline madmax

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 10:38:19 am »
mine same as milddog that i can see... certainly not like second pic . drz has button on carb and no cable
fornicate the proletariat

Offline Dunnes

• Race Dog
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 09:40:08 am »
Thanks Gents. After a moerse mission, I got the cable to move. In the end, the product that made the difference was Rost Off Plus from Wurth. Bleddie expensive, but it works.

I used a cable oiler to spray in the Rost Off and left the can in the oiler to keep it under pressure overnight.

After the lockdown, we will replace the cable or perhaps the whole assembly.