Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is this worth to fix?  (Read 549 times)

Online Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Is this worth to fix?
« on: May 23, 2020, 12:33:54 pm »
I bought a bike at a very good price, about a year ago. It was "in excellent condition" with just a minor "burnt wiring issue", causing it not to start and a "new top end with 0 hours", etc.  :deal:

Long story short, I eventually had it transported to the bike shop I always use, earlier this year and around R7k later, they got the bike started and sorted out many other issues. The mechanic warned me, however, that although running, the bike wasn't sound. ???

Got it to the farm on Thursday and decided to take it for a test ride this morning. I started it up and immediately saw that it smoked way too much, in my humble opinion, to have a healthy engine with a 0 hour top end.
It was quite cold, so I putted along slowly in third gear. After less than 1 km, the back wheel locked and we came to an abrupt stop. The bike is now completely dead and the starter doesn't even make a noise. I hate small bikes without a kick starter... ::)
I pushed it, in gear, and the engine turns, so it didn't seize - which was my conclusion after I initially thought that the chain or rear brake locked, for some or other reason.

What would be most satisfactory at this stage, is to throw the f@cking thing in the river and forget about it, but that would set a bad example to my kids and I'm already around R16k into this lemon. So, I either have to sell it for like R5k, or make a project out of it. Strip it down completely and rebuild it from the ground up, overhaul the engine, properly, basically rebuild it to new condition.
But is this route worth the effort and would parts be readily available? It will probably be cheaper and much wiser to just buy a used XR125/150 to use on the farm.

The bike is a 1994 Suzuki DR250SE...

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
Re: Is this worth to fix?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 01:00:35 pm »

What would be most satisfactory at this stage, is to throw the f@cking thing in the river and forget about it, ...

Advice from a fool who has been there and done that. Follow your heart and toss it. Good example to your kids not to throw good money after bad.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 01:42:03 pm »
My thoughts exactly!
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Online roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 01:45:06 pm »
Give it to your kids to strip, so they can learn how things are put together and how tools work. They'll enjoy taking it apart (kids are naturally inquisitive).  Some parts (like electrics and light) you may use for little projects for them to learn from. When the kids are done with it, toss it.

Offline alphadog

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 02:26:53 pm »
its certainly not a classic, dont throw any money at it, drain the oil and mount it on the garage wall.

Offline 73 Peanut

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 02:57:22 pm »
If its a mechanical issue you have to try break it by trying to repair it .  :imaposer: :imaposer: cut your losses and enjoy hearing    (  I told you its a piece of crap )

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 04:01:32 pm »
Luckily my 3rd dibs did not materialize  :pot: Sorry to hear Tampan.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 05:20:50 pm »
At the very least, strip the engine and try and ascertain what happened. Except for labour, you own time, this will cost you nothing, and perhaps the repair need not be that extensive.

You can do this stripdown with your kid and they can learn.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 05:34:37 pm »
Is this a single overhead cam or double overhead cam motor?

The 250 Djebels had the DOHC motor with around 28 horses and good suspension.

Regardless of the type of motor I agree to strip and check. Nothing to loose...experience to gain!

If the motor is beyond economical repair, and depending on the frame and suspension condition, one could transplant a different motor in the frame.

You can also put it up for sale her.

Strip and sell parts is another option.

The suspension could be a nice upgrade for a DR or TW 200 farm bike.

Pse gooi some pics here!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:35:54 pm by chopperpilot »
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 01:08:18 pm »

What would be most satisfactory at this stage, is to throw the f@cking thing in the river and forget about it, ...

Advice from a fool who has been there and done that. Follow your heart and toss it. Good example to your kids not to throw good money after bad.

If you are going to loose money to it quick and get it over with so the healing can start  ;D
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
DT 175
Vrou se NC700.