Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Youtube's Fortnine channel.....  (Read 1475 times)

Offline WildWood

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
Re: Youtube's Fortnine channel.....
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 04:51:48 pm »
2StrokeDan[/member] you should actually be thanking BMW.  If it was not for BMW I believe the adventure/dual sport bike options would be a lot smaller than it is today.  Many of the bikes you find out there today is to compete with BMW in the market segment.  If BMW did not make the adventure segment so attractive I'm sure many of the other producers would not blink and eye at adventure bikes.

I'm not convinced of this.

In fact I think the big GS has stifled the options for adventure bikes. Instead it set a trend of large road tourers that are capable of rougher roads(not off-road). Great bikes like the XT 600 Tènère , DR big, XR650, KLR600 and 640 Adventure, were there before and still the top adventure machines. More emphasis on speed and comfort and less on actual get there ability and fixability in remote areas.

The following users thanked this post: roxenz

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 04:57:00 pm »
And, and, that Boxer motor should be fitted free, as it comes from 1923, and there could have been no development cost for decades, just bigger pots every few years.

Jou kar se binnebrand enjin is nog presies dieselfde as die eerstes, net kleiner pistons hoekom pla dit jou nie? ;) :peepwall:

Dis al waterverkoeld van 1905 af. :peepwall:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 04:59:36 pm »
And, and, that Boxer motor should be fitted free, as it comes from 1923, and there could have been no development cost for decades, just bigger pots every few years.

Jou kar se binnebrand enjin is nog presies dieselfde as die eerstes, net kleiner pistons hoekom pla dit jou nie? ;) :peepwall:

en die beste enjin nl Deutz was lug verkoel tot noudie dag en toe loop karring hulle aan hom nous dit nie wat dit was nie. :deal: ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2020, 05:00:22 pm »
2StrokeDan[/member] you should actually be thanking BMW.  If it was not for BMW I believe the adventure/dual sport bike options would be a lot smaller than it is today.  Many of the bikes you find out there today is to compete with BMW in the market segment.  If BMW did not make the adventure segment so attractive I'm sure many of the other producers would not blink and eye at adventure bikes.

In fact I think the big GS has stifled the options for adventure bikes. Instead it set a trend of large road tourers that are capable of rougher roads(not off-road). Great bikes like the XT 600 Tènère , DR big, XR650, KLR600 and 640 Adventure, were there before and still the top adventure machines. More emphasis on speed and comfort and less on actual get there ability and fixability in remote areas.

Amen broer. :thumleft:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2020, 05:02:08 pm »

en die beste enjin nl Deutz was lug verkoel tot noudie dag en toe loop karring hulle aan hom nous dit nie wat dit was nie. :deal: ;)

Net soos die BMW Boxers. Beste was die 1150's, toe kom die Turkes 1200 en nou die Chinese 1250. Al hoe treuriger.

Offline Ri

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2020, 05:17:46 pm »
I love Fortnine - good videos, good production, etc.

The only real valid point in that entire video is the price.

Sure the variable valve tech is old but so is a boxer motor.

@2StrokeDan you should actually be thanking BMW.  If it was not for BMW I believe the adventure/dual sport bike options would be a lot smaller than it is today.  Many of the bikes you find out there today is to compete with BMW in the market segment.  If BMW did not make the adventure segment so attractive I'm sure many of the other producers would not blink and eye at adventure bikes.

Indeed Bob, it's all about the price, and this answers Ghostfoursix's post too, as the GS1250 is ludicrously expensive for something that staggers under the weight of ancient technology.

Similar situation to the GS310, where buyers have proven that they are not willing to pay double for an Indian creature.

Oooo. Is that the point we are debating. Yeah, look, if I had my pick of the new bikes I wouldn't buy a GS1250 nor a 850. Not the biggest fan of the new bikes looks. My money would probably go towards an Africa Twin or a Tiger 900.
Of all the F9 videos though, this one seems the most biased though.

Fortnine rides an F800GSA, why would he be biased against BMW or the 1250?

He almost convinced me to go take a look at this off road Gomma Gomma and I'm certainly not a BMW fan.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 05:22:17 pm by Ri »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 09:12:31 pm »
I love Fortnine - good videos, good production, etc.

The only real valid point in that entire video is the price.

Sure the variable valve tech is old but so is a boxer motor.

@2StrokeDan you should actually be thanking BMW.  If it was not for BMW I believe the adventure/dual sport bike options would be a lot smaller than it is today.  Many of the bikes you find out there today is to compete with BMW in the market segment.  If BMW did not make the adventure segment so attractive I'm sure many of the other producers would not blink and eye at adventure bikes.

Indeed Bob, it's all about the price, and this answers Ghostfoursix's post too, as the GS1250 is ludicrously expensive for something that staggers under the weight of ancient technology.

Similar situation to the GS310, where buyers have proven that they are not willing to pay double for an Indian creature.

Oooo. Is that the point we are debating. Yeah, look, if I had my pick of the new bikes I wouldn't buy a GS1250 nor a 850. Not the biggest fan of the new bikes looks. My money would probably go towards an Africa Twin or a Tiger 900.
Of all the F9 videos though, this one seems the most biased though.

Fortnine rides an F800GSA, why would he be biased against BMW or the 1250?

He almost convinced me to go take a look at this off road Gomma Gomma and I'm certainly not a BMW fan.

Good one Ri, tell them fanboys! :ricky: :pot:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2020, 07:41:13 am »
Danie, ek gaan daai 1250 bou om daai ambulance karretjie te trek.  Volgende keer as jy ooit weer n valve bounce kry kom haal ek jou met een.  Dan meerkat ek hom Tygerberg hospitaal toe voor jou klok kans het om te gaat staan.  Ry hom sommer by die teater deur in tot straight langs die operasie tafel. 

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2020, 08:54:21 am »

Very true. I also think the need to carry a pillion necessitated the need for the bigger bikes.
On many occasions we have had riders with the big bikes commenting that they would immediately swop their big machines for something smaller (and much cheaper) on our tours.
It is actually a shame that these mid-size bikes mentioned by John is not for sale in SA anymore.
I went for a ride with a  local farmer in our area last weekend. Jaco is an ex motocross rider and can do things with a YZ that you will not believe.
Their farm is 20000ha and it is typical Karoo with a lot of ridges, canyons, koppies and narrow riverbeds.
He rode a very famous big adv bike with an engine capacity of just under 1000cc O0 and I was riding the XR650.
I, of course made sure we did a fair bit of rough stuff on our 6 hour ride.
After the ride he asked me to help him sell his bike and get him a smaller bike that he could maintain himself.
The buyer for the bike is on his way to Loxton as we speak.
Even though this big adv bike is a fantastic machine, all the power just does not mean anything in the rough stuff.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2020, 08:56:48 pm »
Danie, ek gaan daai 1250 bou om daai ambulance karretjie te trek.  Volgende keer as jy ooit weer n valve bounce kry kom haal ek jou met een.  Dan meerkat ek hom Tygerberg hospitaal toe voor jou klok kans het om te gaat staan.  Ry hom sommer by die teater deur in tot straight langs die operasie tafel.

Ek sl geld opsit dat ons by die hospitaal gaan uitkom in die "ASSIST" Hi-Lux. :biggrin: Of n seixed FD, of n ontkrimpte steering neck.

Offline GhostSixFour

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2020, 01:14:21 pm »
Found another honest review. Albeit a bit old.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2020, 05:31:25 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4:

Justin sent me this a few days ago, funny and true.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2020, 11:42:12 am »

:imaposer: Pretty good review
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2020, 01:13:19 pm »

:imaposer:
Long live the Underdog.........