Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: So which middleweight?.....  (Read 851 times)

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: So which middleweight?.....
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 01:42:56 pm »

[/quote]
The mention of pillion is the primary parameter to consider, most smaller bikes are not pillion friendly.

My advice would be to go ride the bikes on your shopping list with pillion, she will tell you real quick if it works or not. Factors not important for the rider can completely change the pillion experience. This would include seat comfort, seat height relative to rider, screen size etc.

[/quote]
Spot on :thumleft:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 01:57:46 pm »
I see the Sport is 238 kg wet, so anything lighter would be better if the weight is the problem.
I'd look at a KTM 1090.
1090 sits at around that weight too so then you're just looking at different ergonomics
207 I think the 1090 is dunno if it's wet or dry though.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Spectaitor

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 02:32:04 pm »
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 02:33:17 pm by Spectaitor »
So much to do, so little time. Better get going then!

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 04:00:45 pm »
I see the Sport is 238 kg wet, so anything lighter would be better if the weight is the problem.
I'd look at a KTM 1090.
1090 sits at around that weight too so then you're just looking at different ergonomics
207 I think the 1090 is dunno if it's wet or dry though.

That's Dry.

Hell the 1290 is 240 FULL of fuel :biggrin:

Offline Ventana

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2020, 06:55:47 pm »
So the 1090 is the one bike we have already tested (hence it's not an option in the OP) and Mrs felt like she was on the back of a superbike, ......on the other hand I absolutely LOVED it (but that counts for zilch anyway)

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Rom 1:16

Offline XRRX

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2020, 11:20:28 pm »
Also loved my 800 Adv, and it wasn't stolen...
Against all odds I eventually bought a F850GS - cause of "value for money"!
What a revelation - all I'm going to say... :pot:

Offline Grumpleton

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2020, 08:43:53 am »
difficult to give an answer , but the most important factor is size of rider and pillion , my wife fits perfectly on my 950 at 68 kg and me at 95kg but my sister in law at 102kg with my brother at 112 kg dont quite make it comfortable, just saying  :thumleft:
Bikes :  KTM 1190 Adventure R ,  KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline Ventana

• Race Dog
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2020, 09:30:13 am »
Thanks for the insights and one thing I really enjoy with this forum is that everyone has an opinion.  I really knew before I even started this thread that ultimately the answer is - go ride them all and let her decide.....(well, she needs to believe that....)  :peepwall:

However there are some lessons here....

1. Does Middle-Weight mean Mid-Capacity?  Probably not.  So moving to a lower capacity does not assume a lower weight.  If you are really looking for lower weight you need to move your focus from Adventure bikes to the Dual-Sport category....and I think this is where manufacturers are going to shift their focus over the next few years.
2. Hence, does the move to a lower capacity mean the bike is more manageable? Probably not?  I've heard that the 1200GS is arguably easier to handle offroad than the 850GS just because of where it carries its weight...
3. The size of rider and pillion is critical.  I have good friends of mine where both are, lets say, 'generous-of-girth'.  Their ideal Adventure bike is very different to mine...
4. What riding are you intending on doing?  Typically with a pillion you're doing comfortable tar and/or 'easy' dirt roads and maybe long hours in the saddle.  For playing in the technical stuff your focus changes and that's cool.
5.  Don't be in a rush.  There are a LOT of alternatives on offer...
6. Bottom line is go ride them all - our opinions of the 'best' bike are as varied as the number of bikes on offer.  Having different opinions, perspectives and points of view is what makes the Wilddog Forum such a great community....I'm not sure if we'll ever see the unicorn but that just means we keep conversations like this turning and turning.....
7. Maybe Kawasaki is about to unveil another option on 23 November......

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2020, 09:36:21 am »
I loved my F800 Adventure and after it was stolen I followed the herd and felt I needed a BIG bike so I got an Africa Twin Adventure Sport.  It's huge.  So now I have an itch to go back to the middleweights.  SWAMBO and I spend plenty time doing the pillion thing - so pillion comfort is essential - and by the looks of it this scratches the T7 and the KTM790 (or am I wrong?) which leaves the F850 Adventure, base Africa Twin, or maybe the Tiger 900?

Shopping paralysis.....

What is the weight difference between the AT Basic and Adventure Sports? Is the AT AS really to big for you and is your wife uncomfortable on it, the F850 adventure is not that small. Just asking maybe it is best to just use what you have for now and wait for your "perfect" pillion bike.

Offline Ventana

• Race Dog
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2020, 09:54:23 am »
I loved my F800 Adventure and after it was stolen I followed the herd and felt I needed a BIG bike so I got an Africa Twin Adventure Sport.  It's huge.  So now I have an itch to go back to the middleweights.  SWAMBO and I spend plenty time doing the pillion thing - so pillion comfort is essential - and by the looks of it this scratches the T7 and the KTM790 (or am I wrong?) which leaves the F850 Adventure, base Africa Twin, or maybe the Tiger 900?

Shopping paralysis.....

What is the weight difference between the AT Basic and Adventure Sports? Is the AT AS really to big for you and is your wife uncomfortable on it, the F850 adventure is not that small. Just asking maybe it is best to just use what you have for now and wait for your "perfect" pillion bike.

The challenge with the 2018/9 Adventure Sport is not actually the weight but rather the height.  Its a VERY tall bike.  For long distance travel its absolutely fantastic - very, very comfortable and enough power to bring a smile to your face.  Honda, to their credit, recognised that they were limiting their customer base to the taller segment of the population and have corrected this with the new 1100 which is quite a bit shorter.  So although I love the bike I own I am always looking for the unicorn....

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2020, 10:29:50 am »

Shopping paralysis.....

The challenge with the 2018/9 Adventure Sport is not actually the weight but rather the height.  Its a VERY tall bike.  For long distance travel its absolutely fantastic - very, very comfortable and enough power to bring a smile to your face.  Honda, to their credit, recognised that they were limiting their customer base to the taller segment of the population and have corrected this with the new 1100 which is quite a bit shorter.  So although I love the bike I own I am always looking for the unicorn....
Very good point. Tall bikes are generally not great pillion bikes. Not because of the bike’s ability but rather the additional strain on the rider to balance at low speed with luggage that moves...

Although I currently have the 1200GSA which is a little taller (I can only ground the balls of my feet) I found the 1200GS better for pillion because I could plant both feet firmly. The bigger bikes are also generally more stable with luggage and pillion and offer more comfortable seating and ergonomics for the passenger.

It remains a balancing act. I almost never ride solo anymore and am now  considering swopping the GSA for a GS.

PS: While in the UK I had the 800GSA and although it was OK most of the time I struggled at low speeds with pillion. It was just a fraction too tall for me.

Offline XRRX

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2020, 10:36:19 am »
I know some say the Boxers are better off road cause of the cog thing - but personally I don't agree....
What I can tell you definelately - it is way easier to man handle the Red 850 in this pic around the garage, than the 1250Adv!! :o

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2020, 10:37:48 am »
it is way easier to man handle the Red 850 in this pic around the garage, than the 1250Adv!!

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline HAMSTER

• Pack Dog
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2020, 10:56:58 am »
The standard AT seat fits perfectly on the ATAS.
It lowers the seat height to acceptable and still fits in the top seat slot on the bike.
Just a option  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Ventana