Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: nama bike camp  (Read 4488 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: nama bike camp
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2020, 06:09:52 pm »
Also finding this quite entertaining . Find myself jumping from one side to the other . On one hand if you are in this kind of industry in these hard times you should be stepping up . On the other hand a little bit of an over reaction , and not to accept a free night as an apology , mmmmm a bit childish.

My feeling too.

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2020, 07:46:41 pm »
By the way Sam is going on here you would swear he rides a GS 1250 Adventure and feels entitled to be treated like said Bike rider, ....Sam!! , toughen up cup cake , or is that a muffin. >:D
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

The following users thanked this post: Epilot

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2020, 07:54:58 pm »
By the way Sam is going on here you would swear he rides a GS 1250 Adventure and feels entitled to be treated like said Bike rider, ....Sam!! , toughen up cup cake , or is that a muffin. >:D

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2020, 08:43:32 pm »
Ek soek ook n vuil boodskap van Sam.

My vrou stuur nie meer vir my vuil boodskappe nie.

Ek mis dit nogals.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Online Blikkies1

« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2020, 08:51:46 pm »
Ek het myne ontvang, die ou vir 'n bier genooi om 'n bietjie te destress maar verder is hy tjoepstil.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline McKracken

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2020, 08:28:30 am »
A personal experience to try to balance the thread:

Wednesday evening I arrived at Nama bike camp, and after wondering if I was at the right place because I missed the signage, a worker came out and opened a gate and just waved me in.
In I rode and the worker told me, he doesn't know about accommodation, but he's called the boss and he's on his way.
I went to the shade of a tree and 5 mins later Wayne arrived.
He wasn't expecting anyone (because booking is to hard for me) but welcomed me in.
Not only did he give me accommodation, he asked what my food plan was, and then immediately called his wife at work to change dinner plans solely to accommodate my braai request.
After setting up my camp he insisted that my bike gets a night in the garage, and we spent the evening with his wife around the fire, taking routes and plans and trials and bikes. It was a lekka evening, one of the best of my trip.
The next day he got on his katoom and showed me some roads we had talked about, and where his 800gs went swimming. He had some flyers to deliver so tweaked his plan so we could ride together for most of the way.

The point of sharing this is not to change Sam's , or anyone's mind. Only to say that a man's character shouldn't be judged by one interaction.  If people heard what went on inside my helmet in morning traffic they'd  think I was a raging lunatic, while I think most would only consider me crazy
Yamaha PW 80,  '92 Fantic Key Roo 249, 98' Suzuki XF650 Freewind, 95' BMW R1100GS, 17' Triumph Tiger XCX, '16 Husqvana 501

The following users thanked this post: MellowJo

Online pwt

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2020, 09:58:38 am »

Wednesday evening I arrived at Nama bike camp, and after wondering if I was at the right place because I missed the signage, a worker came out and opened a gate and just waved me in.
In I rode and the worker told me, he doesn't know about accommodation, but he's called the boss and he's on his way.
He wasn't expecting anyone (because booking is to hard for me) but welcomed me in.
Not only did he give me accommodation, he asked what my food plan was, and then immediately called his wife at work to change dinner plans solely to accommodate my braai request.
After setting up my camp he insisted that my bike gets a night in the garage, and we spent the evening with his wife around the fire, taking routes and plans and trials and bikes. It was a lekka evening, one of the best of my trip.
The next day he got on his katoom and showed me some roads we had talked about, and where his 800gs went swimming. He had some flyers to deliver so tweaked his plan so we could ride together for most of the way.

The point of sharing this is not to change Sam's , or anyone's mind. Only to say that a man's character shouldn't be judged by one interaction.  If people heard what went on inside my helmet in morning traffic they'd  think I was a raging lunatic, while I think most would only consider me crazy

Youíre not saying whether your experience was pre or post Samís. In the event of being post, then I would consider this as an excellent outcome, then I would say that Wayne clearly learned from Samís outburst and that is a clear win for all future patrons at his establishment
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:00:05 am by pwt »

Offline McKracken

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2020, 10:38:00 am »

Youíre not saying whether your experience was pre or post Samís. In the event of being post, then I would consider this as an excellent outcome, then I would say that Wayne clearly learned from Samís outburst and that is a clear win for all future patrons at his establishment
Ah. No this was 2years or so back. Although, I don't think Wayne would do anything differently tomorrow in the same circumstances
Yamaha PW 80,  '92 Fantic Key Roo 249, 98' Suzuki XF650 Freewind, 95' BMW R1100GS, 17' Triumph Tiger XCX, '16 Husqvana 501

Offline Crankshaft

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2020, 10:57:25 am »
Also finding this quite entertaining . Find myself jumping from one side to the other . On one hand if you are in this kind of industry in these hard times you should be stepping up . On the other hand a little bit of an over reaction , and not to accept a free night as an apology , mmmmm a bit childish.

Kyk, as jy "a free night as an apology" afstaan net omdat jy nie jou sin gekry het nie, dan is jy 'n d@@$, want die ou vra onverskoning deur dit vir jou verniet aan te bied en jy weier nog altyd. 
KDX 200, YFZ 450, YZ 250F, YZ 450F, WR 450F, R1200GS LC, R1200GS ADV LC, 2nd R1200GS ADV LC
Current: WR 450F & KTM 1290 Sup Adv R

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2020, 11:18:32 am »

Kyk, as jy "a free night as an apology" afstaan net omdat jy nie jou sin gekry het nie, dan is jy 'n d@@$, want die ou vra onverskoning deur dit vir jou verniet aan te bied en jy weier nog altyd.

Moontlik het ou Sam so n scene gemaak, hy is nou skaam om gesig te wys.

Offline Flowers

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Happiness is
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2020, 09:04:53 pm »
I will not camp at this place.

Why ?  Care to elaborate?   You also had a "bad" experience there or are you just jumping on the bandwagon
and being a keyboard warrior ?

Do you now want to force me to camp there
Adventure bikers are mostly great passionate people. But then there are the entitled exceptions. This thread highlights 2. Pray tell Sam and Jan where else will you not stay? I would like to support and avoid bumping into 2 miserable entitled  gits. Get a life.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2020, 09:22:54 pm »
I will not camp at this place.

Why ?  Care to elaborate?   You also had a "bad" experience there or are you just jumping on the bandwagon
and being a keyboard warrior ?

Do you now want to force me to camp there
Adventure bikers are mostly great passionate people. But then there are the entitled exceptions. This thread highlights 2. Pray tell Sam and Jan where else will you not stay? I would like to support and avoid bumping into 2 miserable entitled  gits. Get a life.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have met Jan personally, and a nicer person you'll search for far and wide. To deduct from a single post on a thread on an internet forum that Jan is a "entitled exception" simply shows up your own "entitlement".

The following users thanked this post: BullFrog, BikerJan

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2020, 11:19:06 am »
Whether the oke came out of the rabbit hole or not is not important to me in any way at all, BUT, to close up a camp because you hosted a party last night is quite pathetic.

Let me tell you a story.

Years ago I managed a prestigious wine estate.
We held a big outdoor festival one Saturday evening. It went on until midnight.
Weeks before, I closed the estate for breakfast the Sunday, because I knew we would have to do a thorough clean-up before we could allow guests in.
We posted this on our website, our Facebook page and everywhere else.

Well, what happened, was that 7 o clock the Sunday morning, an entitled guest drove past the gate guard who explained to him that the estate was closed. Because he wanted to have breakfast in the restaurant. He saw the staff busy cleaning the premises, arrived at the restaurant, where the staff told him again the place was closed.

He ended up leaving in a blind fury and posted on Twitter, Facebook and Tripadvisor that we were the filthiest wine estate in the Cape and that we refused him service.

So: I FULLY understand why someone would close their establishment the day after a party.

You just cant please some people.

In Sam's case, he could hear the manager speak with the worker, so the manager could have come to speak to Sam himself. I suspect he was a bit "out of it" due to the bush-pub name his establishment seems to be gaining.

And most of you taking sides for bad service is the first to complain about Honda/Suzuki/KTM, etc not having good service. 8)

This is like following teh Trump campaign

Assumptions flying.. The OP wasnt even sure if the manager was there. .. read his post again

"I asked him who the boss was, and he responded that his name was Wayne, so I assume that it was you."

So now you making his assumption fact..  a lot of people are responding with the assumption that his assumption was just an assumption.  :imaposer:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline masehare

« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2020, 12:55:33 pm »
In situations like these, I always refer to WWDD (What Would Deon Do?). If you can't get hold of the camp director, you give one of the staff a 500ml Coke which will then permit you to start pitching your tent at a spot of your liking. In Africa all problems are solved by Coke or KFC.
Profile for wepenerc100

take me down to the Salt Lake City where thereís salt and lakes and the lakes are salty

Offline Grunder

« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2020, 12:57:34 pm »
In situations like these, I always refer to WWDD (What Would Deon Do?). If you can't get hold of the camp director, you give one of the staff a 500ml Coke which will then permit you to start pitching your tent at a spot of your liking. In Africa all problems are solved by Coke or KFC.

Ma se hare that is a cheeky move
NC700 F800GS

Offline Dux

« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2020, 02:28:41 pm »

Ma se hare that is a cheeky move

Well if you canít be good looking or charming then cheeky works 🤣
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2020, 02:45:10 pm »
I was contacted by Wayne Viljoen (owner of Nama Bike Camp) and asked to post the email he sent to SAM.

From my side, I suggested we don't post the mail, as the thread has run its course, but he asked I do.

-----------quote----------------
Sent: 05 November 2020 05:04 PM
To: .................' <.............@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: 2nd November

Dear S...........

Thank you for your email even though it doesnít put me or my camp in a good light.
I sincerely apologise for the way we made you feel, and making excuses isnít in my fibre.
We had a big party on Saturday and too much cleaning for the weekend staff to cope with and on top of that we had a complete electrical fase failure at the camp so we had no power until Tuesday afternoon and on top of that came down with a tummy bug Monday from I can only presume kfc the previous day but as I said no excuse.
We have a really good reputation thus far, also started the business from scratch 3 years ago so it is important to me to always be on top of our game, slipped this..
We have a great clientele from the adventure scene and guys bringing their families back time after time and that warms my heart to see the kind of trust they put in us, I cherish every customer coming through our doors. I really do hope that you give our place a chance in future to show you the hospitality that so many other had and your stay would be for my expense if you let me. It is every clients right to scrutinize a place so I will not ask otherwise. We do have great ratings thus far so I am really sorry for your disdain towards us as I say I would love to make it up to you, Iím not chasing clients to make money, satisfying experiences is what makes me tick.

I sincerely hope you can accept my apology and offer to reconcile.

Regards Wayne Viljoen, owner of Camp Nama.

-----------unquote------------

Wayne also mention that he suggested SAM go to Oasis Country Lodge (which is 7km away in Klawer). This might have been understood to be Cederberg Oasis as the message was relayed by his worker --- Likely this is the reason SAM hit the road back there.

----------------

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

The following users thanked this post: OomD, Grunder

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2020, 03:06:56 pm »
Well there you have it, both sides of the coin. I wonder if Sam has actually read the email, or if he still has his fingers in his ears screaming "lalalalalala".

Offline Grunder

« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2020, 03:17:39 pm »
Problem with a thread like this is...

People's views of each other are changed when all is said and done  :(
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 03:40:37 pm by Grunder »
NC700 F800GS

Offline Spectaitor

« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2020, 03:39:11 pm »
But, just because someone is a grumpy shite,
Doesn't mean you couldn't get along well with them when riding bikes...as long as you book 1st. :pot:
So much to do, so little time. Better get going then!