Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I don't understand the manufacturers....  (Read 902 times)

Offline Warren Ellwood

I don't understand the manufacturers....
« on: November 27, 2008, 04:47:32 pm »
Someone I know just bought a new 450 BMW, however now he needs to spend an extra 15 gorillas to make it "race ready". A bash plate, hand guards and some or other zorst pipe. There is also an article in one of the mags pretty much saying the same thing.

When I bought my Dakar, I never knew at the time that I would need a higher screen, centre stand, wide pegs, different tubes ...... the list goes on. I was parting with 76 gorillas already and really didn't expect to have to part with a lot more to make it "Adventure ready" or "comfortable".

Why can't these okes make a proper touring screen, or a bash plate for instance (just the basics) original equipment. I mean they are adventure or enduro bikes after all. What would it have cost to make the standard Dakar screen a little higher and a little more upright. Next to nothing I think. But afterwards you have to part with 1500 ront to get some decent wind protection. (Not me, thanks Pantsula).

And its not like they get revenue from the sale of aftermarket goodies either as these are usually sourced from other companies. Like I say, it seems strange that someone would design and produce a bike that would need 15K extra spent before it can really be used what it is designed for.

Or maybe that's it, it's designed for use in Europe or somewhere nice. Come to think of it, I remember some oke from Yamaha Japan was here visiting and came to one of our National jet ski races. He almost had a heart attack when he saw us jumping the things. "Ahh youh amad, you break it real soonah". He claimed any ski that was found to have been jumped would loose its warranty immediately back home.

No offence meant to any aftermarket vendors, I'm just having a rant cause I can't afford everything I need all at once, but I'll be buying the stuff anyway, as soon as I can.  ;)

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
Re: I don't understand the manufacturers....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 04:55:33 pm »
I'm in the same boat as you... or should I say the same Dakar as you.

When I got my bike, I didn't have a clue about screens, or footpegs or any of that shit.

It was only by talking to others, and looking at their setups did i realize a lot of customization is necessary.

Slowly byt surely i've been adding to my bike, screen, pegs, etc.

Still got a few things to do as i can't afford to do everything at once, so i need to determine what's the most important.

Eg; Do I get handlebar raisers first or a centre stand?

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 06:03:26 pm »
Now that you have decided to buy all the accessories for your bike. Give me a PM I can help.
Cheers.Chris.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline fixit

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 07:00:12 am »
Just think how boring it would have been, if every DS bike came out with all those goodies.
Nothing to farkle, nothing to tinkle with and worst of all, nothing to discuss on this forum other that who has the best brand >:D

Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline lecap

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 07:21:54 am »
The bikes are made as mainstream product to make let's say 90% of the owners 90% happy.
These 90% might live in another country on another continent. South Africa is not the centre of the universe nor is it a primary market for a motorcycle manufacturer (except Vuka maybe ??? ). The remaining 10% of unhappy customers and 10% of unhappiness are dealt with in the accessory market.

I can not remember a single bike I owned over the last 24 years which was left original. They were all modified, some of them quite drastically and they all were a lot of fun to build and to ride.

Another thought: Why would a manufacturer put a Yoshi pipe onto a bike when the user rips it off and stuffs it into the bin to replace it with the (he thinks much much better) Akra / Micron / V&H / Bakker ... ? Alu vs PE bashplate? Plain vs. reinforced handguards? Rubber vs. serrated steel footpegs?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 07:38:16 am »
The bikes are made as mainstream product to make let's say 90% of the owners 90% happy.
These 90% might live in another country on another continent. South Africa is not the centre of the universe nor is it a primary market for a motorcycle manufacturer (except Vuka maybe ??? ). The remaining 10% of unhappy customers and 10% of unhappiness are dealt with in the accessory market.

I can not remember a single bike I owned over the last 24 years which was left original. They were all modified, some of them quite drastically and they all were a lot of fun to build and to ride.

Another thought: Why would a manufacturer put a Yoshi pipe onto a bike when the user rips it off and stuffs it into the bin to replace it with the (he thinks much much better) Akra / Micron / V&H / Bakker ... ? Alu vs PE bashplate? Plain vs. reinforced handguards? Rubber vs. serrated steel footpegs?
Well said :thumleft:

That is what makes this Adventure riding so much Fun :o You set up your bike the way YOU want it. :mwink:
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline topbox

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 07:48:21 am »
styled, designed and setup for the average user in its largest target market, probably Europe
90% of bikes are not used for the intended purpose and are fine for 90% of riders

fitting all the bits would up the price, however it would be a lot cheaper than adding it later
[size=7.5pt]www.advrider.co.za [/size]

Kickstarting an XR is like a raindance, once you know the secret ritual you can make it rain on command.
 R1200GS, XR650R, XT500, WR450, XR250 BAJA, CT110

Offline Inprogress

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 09:30:05 am »
Warren,bike companies are only interested that you come back and buy more. If they sold you the whole package deal, there is no business left for them, and besides, if they sold the bike with all the extras as standard, no-one would buy it in the fist place cause they would see that its highly overpriced, and we South Africans don't take stuff back that we are unhappy with. It is the exact same tactic as selling the mirror for R981,95. Hey that is not so bad, less than a grand! It jsut looks cheaper, but it is still a grand.

My advice, but a DR650 or KLR650. They are dirt cheap but needs customisation. Same situation as the BM's, only they cost less and you fix them with a hammer, Ducttape and WD40. BMW, well they designed a component which you fit into your cellphone called "BMW Assist."
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Riebeek

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 10:46:30 am »
Back to the original post on the extra R15K on the BMW 450.  Either I am brainwashed with marketing junk, but all I had to get for my KTM 450 do participate in Enduro's was a Hyde bashplate.  Ready to race, I don not know - you decide.
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R
1980 Vespa P200E
2005 KTM 450 EXC (ex) 1984 Yamaha TT600 (ex) 1983 Yamaha TT600 (ex) 1986 Yamaha DT125 (ex) 1983 Honda MBX50 (ex)

Offline Mikedabike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 10:50:31 am »
Back to the original post on the extra R15K on the BMW 450.  Either I am brainwashed with marketing junk, but all I had to get for my KTM 450 do participate in Enduro's was a Hyde bashplate.  Ready to race, I don not know - you decide.

And by the way what did the Katie cost you race ready???....
"if your life were to flash before your eyes make sure it is worth watching"

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 11:34:34 am »
I think Lecap's answer takes the trophy.  :thumleft:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Jerrycan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • TW #2
    • Photogallery
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 11:58:14 am »
Just think how boring it would have been, if every DS bike came out with all those goodies.
Nothing to farkle, nothing to tinkle with and worst of all, nothing to discuss on this forum other that who has the best brand >:D

+1
No sympathy, we do this to ourselves willingly.  The amount of choices for the consumer bike-wise has more than doubled in a few years and still we buy to modify.  And then Warren, there's internet and a wealth of info/specs at the finger tips.  I mean, you did not know the Dakar came without center stand?
It sometimes gets worse, you get to a point where you scheme even the available after market options are shite, soon you find yourself shopping for welders, pop rivet guns, plasma cutters then compressors and so the list grows  :o
I've had a few hobbies through the years, biking is no exception here.  Every new semi auto I've ever bought, regardless the brand, had it's feeding ramp meticulously polished by Dremel tool, every bow I buy immediately gets a self-made bow string, the new one often sommer left behind at the shop..
We need to fiddle, only when buying a very expensive toy like a Ferrari mere respect and re-sale value would keep the toolbox closed >:D
Have petrol will move
RIDE REPORTS:
One dog and a bitch, on trip to Kommandodrift http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13086.0
One dog and a bitch, TW's to the sea http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13333.0

Offline Padvark (ex Gee-S-rider)

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 12:20:56 pm »
Getting a bike race ready is one thing and we all love tinkering, but surely a functional bashplate is not too much to ask on a purpose-built dirt bike like the 450?

On my 800gs the brake and clutch levers are cleverly designed with a notch so that it breaks off half-way so you can still use it with two fingers. So obviously they thought about it, but chose not to PROTECT the levers, rather break 'em and replace 'em ?? chick-ching!

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 07:44:25 pm »
I myself, and I think there are many like me, bought my KLR without realizing just how much riding I was going to do. As the riding got more and more, so the farkling got more and more. If I had never gone off tar, the bike in it's original condition would still have been perfect, it's only my own advances that caused the changes. Now, what's next...
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 09:27:49 pm »
I have a Dakar.  It is a top priced bike but comes without a center-stand, fuel gauge, functional hand guards and a single indicator light on the dash.  That would be fine if it was KLR priced but it isn't, it was about 50% more than a KLR.  Later on they didn't even come with any tools worth mentioning.  I have a very negative opinion of BMW bikes after that.