Which small bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vilaishima

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
I need some advice from some of the guys with experience with some of the smaller bikes.
I am currently in the process of selling my Aprilia Caponord  :'(

I am in need of a small DS bike that I can use as my daily commuter and runabout in and around Centurion and Pretoria. I do however want the bike to be very capable offroad as I would like to do more regular offroad trips to get my mind away from the power of the Capo that I am going to miss.

I have looked at the following Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DR200 SE or Djebel. I  really like the Honda CRF230F with road kit but according to Honda even with the road kit it cannot be road registered  :mad: - anyone know of a way (a legal way  ;)) to get past this? I am looking at a price range of around R15 000 - R25 000.

Now here are the questions:

How do these bikes perform in traffic? Do they have enough pull to pull away from most cars at traffic lights?
Which one of these bikes would you guys recommend bearing in mind that I am mechanically inclined and don't mind getting my hands dirty?
Are there any other bikes in this class that I should be looking at or will all of these be to underpower to have fun with after the Caponord? Should I rather look for something like an XR400 and would somthing like this at all be available for around R25k?

When answering bear in my that I've had an 200cc chinese scrambler, an Aprilia Pegaso 650iE and an Aprilia Caponord so any comparison that can be made would help with my decision.

Any advice would be much appreciated.