Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why Do We Wear Peaked Helmets?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline KiLRoy

• Kaptein Duiwel
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kaptein Duiwel - vriend van Beau Brummel
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Re: Why Do We Wear Peaked Helmets?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 09:35:20 am »
I have a peaked  Airoh for more dedicated gravel use.

For most riding i use a normal full face.  Buy those with bigger visor areas than racing helmets. Think its called cruising helmets..much better imo.  Also look for ones with better ventilation and either build in sunglasses or dedicated sunglasses or the old insolation tape trick.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 09:47:17 am »
Ag, bullshit. It's just a fashion statement.  :pot: :peepwall: :lol8:

I prefer a normal full face, but I'd also like to have a good open face. Got a cheap one, but I don't like it and hardly use it. Money, always money.  :-\
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

The following users thanked this post: Hingsding

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 09:50:30 am »
Honestly, I cannot go more than 40km/h before I have to close my visor anyway. Plus these helmets have a normal visor so it functions just like a normal Adv helmet in all respects. If you are crawling along a single spoor or more technical terrain you have the extra feature of opening it up totally. I think it is a win win.

Each to their own. We all know that people flip those helmets up even when they are on a highway, I've seen guys with their helmets flipped up with sunglasses visor down.. its a personal thing..  If you see benefit in it then go for it, personally I would'nt buy a flip up helmet nor would I recommend one. If its only a feature you going to use when crawling along a tweespoor then I cant justify the extra cost for using the feature so seldomly.

I've seen one accident with those helmets, it was enough to convince me , I suppose if you are dedicated to keeping it down when the situation allows then it will work for you.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2021, 09:52:37 am »
Seems to be some confusion re enduro/mx helmets which are open faced needing goggles and dual sport helmets with visor here.  I use a road helmet if there is plenty tar to ride at higher speeds and a peaked visor helmet for normal gravel, also have a helmet that I can use goggles with.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2021, 10:00:12 am »
I used to use an Arai TX4 with goggles until highway speeds. then I'd close the visor over the goggles.  That worked really well, and the peak was great but it did get a bit tiring on long highway stretches.

Now I use a Shoei Hornet X2 and while it's much better on the highway, can't use the visor over goggles, and the peak is much more out of the way and not as useful for dusty conditions.  But on balance, for me it's better.
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2021, 10:06:19 am »
I've seen one accident with those helmets, it was enough to convince me , I suppose if you are dedicated to keeping it down when the situation allows then it will work for you.

What you need to do, prior to making a decision between a full face and a flip face, is check the British DOT's helmet rating website.  You may well be riding with a full face that received a terrible rating, say 1 or 2 star while a flip face is rated 5 star and under tests the latch remained closed 100% of the time.

Examples:

Arai Condor Full Face:  2 star
Shark Evoline Flip Face: 5 star

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:06:54 am by TheBear »
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline BuRP

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2021, 10:09:54 am »
Depends on your riding

you will suffer with breathing and ventilation if you ride proper offroad route with a road helmet.
The peak is used for sun, roost and branch protection.

Nicely summarized - you do offroad stuff?
Peaked then, with or without a visor, but if with then one which opens easily (NK, I have one now, loads better, I can see things now  :peepwall: )
You do lotsa tar at a decent clip?
Get an integral or closed lid, a removable peak an option.
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2021, 10:16:22 am »
Thanks for the input all, I have a rather long highway commute so gonna do some shopping for a full-face lid and keep the adventure lid for its intended purpose only. On a side note, took my Harley for a 1st spin yesterday arvie, Harleys are only slow because pisspot helmets are horrendous things over 60km/h, seriously, the wind noise moers you with plugs in and buff over.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2021, 10:16:34 am »
One thing that may not have been mentioned is that flip-up helmets are also an excellent prophylactic.   100% effective.
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline BuRP

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2021, 10:35:46 am »
One thing that may not have been mentioned is that flip-up helmets are also an excellent prophylactic.   100% effective.

You're saying your lid flips up when you see something female and attractive?  :o
Hell, that may just be inconvenient on the highway when passing an open cabrio!
Dangerous Boet  ;D
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2021, 10:46:49 am »

You're saying your lid flips up when you see something female and attractive?  :o
Hell, that may just be inconvenient on the highway when passing an open cabrio!
Dangerous Boet  ;D

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Nah I mean no female will ever want to get near you if you're rocking a flip up helmet. :imaposer:
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2021, 11:20:29 am »
Where's @BiG DoM, he's been using flip ups for a long time.   Schuberth E3 I think but they cost about 5 year's gross salary. Would like some input from him as I'm also looking at a flip up.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:21:18 am by Dorsland »
Truth is treason in the empire of lies

Tom Luongo

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2021, 11:23:55 am »

With all the ugly bastids riding bikes, I think the opposite is true. :peepwall: :pot: :lol8:  Keep those unshaven mugs hidden, chicks think you are cool until you remove your helmet.

Tom Luongo

Offline Lem

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2021, 11:34:12 am »
want dit lyk cool  :thumleft:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2021, 12:02:11 pm »
If you have ears like mine then a flip-up makes it a pleasure to put the helmet on and take it off.

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2021, 12:03:18 pm »
Where's @BiG DoM, he's been using flip ups for a long time.   Schuberth E3 I think but they cost about 5 year's gross salary. Would like some input from him as I'm also looking at a flip up.

Not sure if they still imported, but I use Zeus. Good helmet at medium price and fits my pip very nicely. Would love one of those Sharks that flip open and looks like open face helmet, but eish, the price.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2021, 12:17:16 pm »
What is the price on the Zeus?  Noisy?

Tom Luongo

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2021, 12:23:22 pm »
What is the price on the Zeus?  Noisy?

Least noisy helmet I've had. You want jet engine in your ears, try a Spirit. I've had three Zeus helmets so far. All bout on the forum for under R1k each. I reckon new about R2.5k

We are of course looking at the wrong cause of the problem. Most guys who complain will find that their wind screens cause the wind to hit them in the face. You never going to solve the problem with the helmet. Wind must either hit you on the chest or go right over your helmet.

Speed is a factor.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2021, 12:37:49 pm »
I also had a Zeus DS helmet and it was remarkably good, especially for the price!
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2021, 12:39:29 pm »
These are my Flip Up Helmets Roof Boxer & Desmo, had a BMW Helmet with Peak did not like it then bought a Shark Evo which my Son took over.
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"