Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tubeless puncture repairs  (Read 1504 times)

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
Re: Tubeless puncture repairs
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2021, 03:59:06 pm »
rema tip top sealastic tyre repair kit
https://www.gps4africa.co.za/tyre-care-products/789-rema-tip-top-tyre-repair-kit-tubeless-all-tubeless-motorcycles
works great

How do you insert these? I have/had a few but it seems like you are just going to push the whole thing inside the tyre.  Never tried though. Is there a trick to insert it only the correct depth?

You need a special tool for thus rubbers. The tool stretches them out and releases them again once inserted.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2021, 04:46:23 pm »
I use the brown worm plugs you get from Midas and garages as a temp fix. After fitment I make sure I don't exceed 110km/h and as soon as I am home I'll either replace the tyre if it's more than 50% worn or I'll get it patched with an inside proper patch we use on truck tires. The tire place in Brits does this for me at a good price. They are not rigged for bike tires so I need to take it off and refit which is ok.
I have done back in 2013 a fatal crash in Midrand on the highway where it was confirmed on the scene of the accident by his buddies that they have just plugged the tire at the Shell garage and tested for leaks...nothing. his accident was a mere 4 or 5 km on the Highway.
There are more info on a worm plug being a temp fix on a bike tyre.
Your choice.

on what type of bike doing what speed?
I cant see a worm coming out causing an accident, it has happened to me before. (The worm failing because I didnt use glue/lube, not the accident because of it)

Sorry buddy I cannot recall what bike nor do I know his speed but when back at the COC we played the video and had footage of how it happened. Remember not everyone is technically minded and may not dit the plug the correct way to start with. I have tried (practiced) on an old tyre having a look on the inside to see what happens when I twist and pull back etc.
Worm plugs sure are meant for temp fixes.
Like said; it's up to everyone to decide what he is comfortable with.
Net getting into a debate here.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2021, 05:30:23 pm »
https://www.gps4africa.co.za/tyre-care-products/789-rema-tip-top-tyre-repair-kit-tubeless-all-tubeless-motorcycles
works great
How do you insert these? I have/had a few but it seems like you are just going to push the whole thing inside the tyre.  Never tried though. Is there a trick to insert it only the correct depth?
You need a special tool for thus rubbers. The tool stretches them out and releases them again once inserted.

What is in the image is what the plug kit comes with. I have seen a video where they use that silver tool to insert the plug although they struggled. Could not see how he controlled the depth.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2021, 05:40:56 pm »
I use the brown worm plugs you get from Midas and garages as a temp fix. After fitment I make sure I don't exceed 110km/h and as soon as I am home I'll either replace the tyre if it's more than 50% worn or I'll get it patched with an inside proper patch we use on truck tires. The tire place in Brits does this for me at a good price. They are not rigged for bike tires so I need to take it off and refit which is ok.
I have done back in 2013 a fatal crash in Midrand on the highway where it was confirmed on the scene of the accident by his buddies that they have just plugged the tire at the Shell garage and tested for leaks...nothing. his accident was a mere 4 or 5 km on the Highway.
Your choice.

I cant see a worm coming out causing an accident, it has happened to me before. (The worm failing because I didnt use glue/lube, not the accident because of it)

Sorry buddy I cannot recall what bike nor do I know his speed but when back at the COC we played the video and had footage of how it happened. Remember not everyone is technically minded and may not dit the plug the correct way to start with. I have tried (practiced) on an old tyre having a look on the inside to see what happens when I twist and pull back etc.

No was just wondering if it was a sportbike. Or maybe a big cruiser or something. Just trying to figure out how it so suddenly lost its bead.

But I know you don't want to argue the point, and realise a perspective can change on a gruesome accident scene. But you have also been on the forum a while, and don't know if you are on other social media platforms but that's a ton of experiences shared and this is the first incident I ever heard of this happen.

I once plugged my BMW 330d on the rear run flat. Did another 20k km and then did a burnout on that tyre, still no issues with the plug.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2021, 10:59:00 am »
My Defender has run on worms with same tyres fitted for 7+ years no issue..... given moderate speeds but heavy loads.... never had any issues with loss/deflation etc! I think it depends where the penetration happened. On a sidewall I would fix temporarily and replace tyre, however, on tread no issue.

Same I have applied to my adventure bikes... giving the impression that they are unsafe in general is a misconception imo.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:59:42 am by Roxtar »
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2021, 02:58:06 pm »
works great

Here is the tool used.

https://www.safari4x4.co.za/product/inserting-tool-for-sealastic-plugs/

It is a bit expensive (well, in my opinion). I maneuvered my old repair tool to have a hole in it.  But yeah the idea is to stretch it before fitting it; when its "halfway" in you release it

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 03:02:32 pm by Grunder »
the Truth will offend at first

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2021, 03:22:05 pm »
Your choice.

Just a observation here. If the rider had a puncture and never died with the hole then how can the plug be the cause of his death assuming it came out creating the self same hole?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 03:46:20 pm by THROTTLE JOCKEY »
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline genie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2021, 03:32:53 pm »
This is the Rema tip top tool you use for inserting the rectangular plugs. It works well.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2021, 07:37:19 pm »
Your choice.

Just a observation here. If the rider had a puncture and never died with the hole then how can the plug be the cause of his death assuming it came out creating the self same hole?

Quite simple, I had a long conversation with his buddies on the scene of accident and the one guy blamed himself obviously since he was doing the plugging.

There was a nail in the tyre, the guys were having their coffee like they often do at that garage while standing at the bikes..the guys spotted the nail and decided to help out the man.
Never have plugged a hole but it can't be that hard right?
So the struggles to get the nail out and then could not get the plug in.
After a while realized what the reaming tool is there for and used it.
Then failed a couple of times by pushing the plug right through.
Then finally got it in and re inflate.
The video showed that he was going North bound just past the Grand central bridge when it looked like he hit a tank slapper.
The tyre was off the bead.
That sir is how it happened.

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2021, 09:23:34 am »
Your choice.

Quite simple, I had a long conversation with his buddies on the scene of accident and the one guy blamed himself obviously since he was doing the plugging.

There was a nail in the tyre, the guys were having their coffee like they often do at that garage while standing at the bikes..the guys spotted the nail and decided to help out the man.
Never have plugged a hole but it can't be that hard right?
So the struggles to get the nail out and then could not get the plug in.
After a while realized what the reaming tool is there for and used it.
Then failed a couple of times by pushing the plug right through.
Then finally got it in and re inflate.
The video showed that he was going North bound just past the Grand central bridge when it looked like he hit a tank slapper.
The tyre was off the bead.
That sir is how it happened.

Eish not cool! Makes sense and without looking at the tyre in question I can only go on what is said. Often failures are due to a number of things but building a true picture/report of what happened/cause requires all the proof/information. That I/we dont have so I have no choice but to express my condolences and hope this never happens to any one of us.

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2021, 02:50:22 pm »

Eish not cool! Makes sense and without looking at the tyre in question I can only go on what is said. Often failures are due to a number of things but building a true picture/report of what happened/cause requires all the proof/information. That I/we dont have so I have no choice but to express my condolences and hope this never happens to any one of us.

Yes, too many variables.
Tyre can come of the bead during a tank slapper without a puncture.
Puncture repair failure should not cause sudden deflation but rather a gradual loss in pressure similar to a puncture on a good tyre.
Unless it was one of those 10 worms in one hole repairs.
Deflation could cause tyre coming off the bead but that is true for puncture repair failure and a puncture on a good tyre.

Shame, I feel it is wrong that the one guy blames himself for the death of his friend.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 02:51:28 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2021, 03:02:53 pm »

Yes, too many variables.
Tyre can come of the bead during a tank slapper without a puncture.
Puncture repair failure should not cause sudden deflation but rather a gradual loss in pressure similar to a puncture on a good tyre.
Unless it was one of those 10 worms in one hole repairs.
Deflation could cause tyre coming off the bead but that is true for puncture repair failure and a puncture on a good tyre.

Shame, I feel it is wrong that the one guy blames himself for the death of his friend.

Tyres do not pop of the bead just sommer. On a tubeless rim it takes a fair amount of lateral force. Even on a tube rim this does not happen easy and is very unlikely to happen instantaneously catching a rider unawares unless there is a major instant fracture and lateral forces in place. There is more to this than what has been posted, not that anyone is hiding anything its just not posted and not really our place to diagnose. Leave that rather to those that know more than I.

Offline RyanI

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2021, 08:12:21 am »
On a related but different issue, I would like to understand how many guys with tubeless setups still carry tubes as spares. After being in the bush where a guy with tubeless hit something and dented his front wheel, we could not get it to reinflate. He only carried a tubeless repair kit and was stuffed. Luckily I had a 21" tube and fitted it for him. Now I have my first bike with tubeless and still carry tubes and levers etc. This is only for offroad trips. For commuting I have the tubeless repait kit and bombs under the seat.   
BMW850GS (2018)

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2021, 08:18:47 am »
On a related but different issue, I would like to understand how many guys with tubeless setups still carry tubes as spares. After being in the bush where a guy with tubeless hit something and dented his front wheel, we could not get it to reinflate. He only carried a tubeless repair kit and was stuffed. Luckily I had a 21" tube and fitted it for him. Now I have my first bike with tubeless and still carry tubes and levers etc. This is only for offroad trips. For commuting I have the tubeless repait kit and bombs under the seat.   

I think the wise carry spares. One has to be self supporting without that there is no confidence in a situation unless there is ignorance. Running tubeless has its positives, not having spare tubes and tools is not one of them.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2021, 08:33:43 am »
not having an extra tube is the same as not carying tools. Same kind of risk acceptance vs less weight.

But when I started out I did not know how to fit a tube, would have been equally screwed.

re 10 plugs in one hole, been there as well. Started off with 6 in the cut (was a wet day, cut a tyre easier then), continued with trip but it started leaking. fitted more and more. On that trip eventually ripped rear end of 1190 out (bottoming out can have tyre hit plastics) and then when addressing that saw both two fork seals busted, turned around then. did the 700km home from there but 10km before end wanted to inflate again but were distracted, using paintball air cannister I probably inflated to around 3.5 bar and popped all of those plugs out. I decided screw that and called for a bakkie pickup then.

I am not so sure a tube would have been better. Rocks would have been able to direct impact a tube and it would not have lasted.

Offline alive

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • BMW R100CS, K1, R1200GSA
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2021, 09:49:59 am »
I always carry one of these aerosol puncture repair cans on my road bikes, works 90% of the time and pump up the tire as well.  Only really works for simple nail puncture types.

Anyone used it offroad?

https://www.takealot.com/shield-tyre-jack-inflator-and-sealer-340ml/PLID38161263?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmIuDBhDXARIsAFITC_5yJ2KFxtqECBUBHbs9Pb54wHNMzUjHYk8dQTFdhgai3UAWriOC6bsaAktQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Alive

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2021, 09:54:27 am »
I always carry one of these aerosol puncture repair cans on my road bikes, works 90% of the time and pump up the tire as well.  Only really works for simple nail puncture types.

Anyone used it offroad?

https://www.takealot.com/shield-tyre-jack-inflator-and-sealer-340ml/PLID38161263?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmIuDBhDXARIsAFITC_5yJ2KFxtqECBUBHbs9Pb54wHNMzUjHYk8dQTFdhgai3UAWriOC6bsaAktQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

its been working well on my 300 2T with camelthorn punctures.

have a friend that used it successfully on his 1190 with tubeless. used two cans actually. did plenty kms thereafter not fixing it till bike eventually got stolen

Offline alive

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • BMW R100CS, K1, R1200GSA
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2021, 10:12:54 am »
I use slime/sealer in my tubeless mountain bike tires, this is bullet proof and often replace the tires without ever having to do puncture repairs but lots of weeping mini holes all over the tire.

I recall using this in my two stroke enduro bike, is this an option for large dual purpose bikes.

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/stans-no-tubes-sealant-437ml-16-oz?utm_campaign=12444251675&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=501737970148&utm_term=&adgroupid=117878761149&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmIuDBhDXARIsAFITC_4hRKhDjHrY0UzjaD8633HOMRYVWwQ1NZMObyuU_kJowwCs9DV7skcaAkTFEALw_wcB

Alive

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2021, 12:50:34 pm »

Anyone used it offroad?

Now that stuff will lube the rim and tyre making for a easy dismount of the tyre from the bead. Larry McGillewie will testify to this with proof of a hospital stay and a helicopter air lift. If any one rides with this in our group they are instructed of the risk and suggested to ride on on their own.

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2021, 12:51:25 pm »
I use slime/sealer in my tubeless mountain bike tires, this is bullet proof and often replace the tires without ever having to do puncture repairs but lots of weeping mini holes all over the tire.

I recall using this in my two stroke enduro bike, is this an option for large dual purpose bikes.

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/stans-no-tubes-sealant-437ml-16-oz?utm_campaign=12444251675&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=501737970148&utm_term=&adgroupid=117878761149&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmIuDBhDXARIsAFITC_4hRKhDjHrY0UzjaD8633HOMRYVWwQ1NZMObyuU_kJowwCs9DV7skcaAkTFEALw_wcB

Good way to go!