Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How to get working permit for Malawian gardener  (Read 468 times)

Offline Messier87

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
How to get working permit for Malawian gardener
« on: April 15, 2021, 08:34:01 am »
My gardener needs to get his working permit renewed. (apparently expired some time ago already.)

He has been working for us for about three years now. A good, trustworthy guy - we can leave him alone in the house without any worries. Recently got an old china scooter from his wife's boss (mahala  :ricky:  :thumleft:) and I want to assist him getting his drivers license since he has been riding many years in Malawi. The scooter opens transport and extra income options with deliveries etc.

Apparently he can't get the working permit on his own. Is there ways of assisting? (I do not want to go and spend a day at home affairs if it can be avoided...)

Any tips and guidance will be appreciated...

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Health and Safetitty matters

The following users thanked this post: Messier87

Offline Messier87

• Pack Dog
Re: How to get working permit for Malawian gardener
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 09:00:19 am »
Perhaps start online : http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/immigration-services/temporary-residency

I could not find an online option he could use as a Malawian. They have a site (https://ehome.dha.gov.za) but that seems to be for South Africans.

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Health and Safetitty matters
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 10:56:00 am »
Then your worst fear has come to fruition - a lovely wasted day or six at a DHA hellhole.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 04:50:18 pm »
I'm afraid its very unlikely.

My brother in law has been striving to get his residency since 2005, and even though he has a kid in the country, is living in Natal and is obviously married to a South African, it has been impossible despite many, many trips to Pretoria.

When I was getting my EU visa in 2014 I joined a queue at the VCF alongside another line of Zimbos and Mozzies queuing for residency that went around the block. This was just to apply.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 04:51:15 pm »
My advice would be to just let him travel in and out on a regular basis, or operate beneath the radar.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

The following users thanked this post: Messier87

Offline Messier87

• Pack Dog
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 10:13:27 am »
My advice would be to just let him travel in and out on a regular basis, or operate beneath the radar.
Yip - sounds like this is what he has been doing last couple of years. There seems to be very little control and he comes and goes as he needs.

But he is quite clever and very honest. His attitude is also quite refreshing. Would like to help if I can, but the more I look into it, the more I get the idea his odds are stacked.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 11:41:56 am »
Yip - sounds like this is what he has been doing last couple of years. There seems to be very little control and he comes and goes as he needs.

But he is quite clever and very honest. His attitude is also quite refreshing. Would like to help if I can, but the more I look into it, the more I get the idea his odds are stacked.

We had a worker from Malawi who has since left us

He applied for asylum and that was the way he got around the residency