Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Back to Honda - (This time with a CRF450L)  (Read 3476 times)

Offline teebag

Re: Back to Honda
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 04:13:07 pm »
Depends on riding conditions, but yes most owners are now pushing the oil changes out, several in the US have be doing detailed oil analysis with Blackstone for each oil change and made the decision after consistent results from repeated tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Tom van Brits

Re: Back to Honda
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 04:27:39 pm »
Depends on riding conditions, but yes most owners are now pushing the oil changes out, several in the US have be doing detailed oil analysis with Blackstone for each oil change and made the decision after consistent results from repeated tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats Tbag, gr8 choice

Interesting you mention the oil testing, I have serviced my pick up truck yesterday here in the US and they do a sample test and then give recommendations based on that. Some engines they advise to stop running like when they get antifreeze and some sort of metals in the sample. They also the recommend your oil service intervals based on the metals they find in the oil.

Offline teebag

Back to Honda - (This time with a CRF450L)
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2021, 04:48:25 pm »
1st world countries hey. 

Not one of the guys testing, noted higher than expected metals, but some recorded unburnt fuel when using a Vortex ECU - and the recommendation that comes with that is to lower the service intervals, as the oil is becoming diluted, and therefore less effective.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 08:08:49 am by teebag »

Offline teebag

Re: Back to Honda - (This time with a CRF450L)
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 01:27:02 pm »
As mentioned previously the decision to re-visit this bike was based on Honda ZA offering the option of having the US ECU fitted as part of the deal.  However it is not just the ECU that makes the difference between the 2 versions of this machine.  From what I have found out reading the various forums, both the US and AUS (which got the same version we did) the main differences are:

• ECU
  • Air intake boot
  • Air box lid

Honda SA replace the 1st 2 and most in the US remove the 3rd completely when fitting aftermarket tuners.

Before taking delivery the ECU and Air intake boot were replaced with the US equivalent.

In days past you could just remove or drill any restrictions in the intake airflow, but that is no longer an option as Honda use a completely different moulding.  The 1st 2 pictures are the EU/Asia/Africa intake and the last one is the US version.  No pics of the ECU because apart from the P/N they look identical.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:28:32 pm by teebag »

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 01:49:12 pm »
Lekker T

I've been eyeing out this bike as well.. very capable bike.

Congrats.. lets hook up for a ride in Parklands sometime
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline XRRX

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2021, 07:31:44 am »
Congrats and many smiles!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft:
These are awesome bikes!!!
Just open up that exhaust a bit - you'll be surprised... ;)

Offline WynandV

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2021, 08:58:25 am »
I bought a new CRF450L with US spec ecu.
I should have rather bought the Vortex ecu instead of US spec.
The stock US spec ecu has a really bad on - off throttle response. Not so much noticeable on the road, but terrible in slow technical riding.

Offline teebag

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2021, 09:12:38 am »
Yes, well documentedÖ but for me the Vortex is the last resort as it introduces other issues - if it could be tuned properly without having to buy the additional $700 software then it would be a no brainer.

Offline XRRX

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2021, 09:29:31 am »
Yes, well documentedÖ but for me the Vortex is the last resort as it introduces other issues - if it could be tuned properly without having to buy the additional $700 software then it would be a no brainer.
I don't know what the experts will say, but I fitted a Boosterplug to my son's 450, EU ECU, opened exhaust and a small increase in the inlet rubber - transformed the bike completely!! No more on-off throttle!!

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2021, 09:29:59 am »
What a nice bike, and definitely one I'd consider some point in the future. Many happy (s)miles!

A thought... you appear to have moved away from the 701 due to reliability, wondering how you would get it going again if it stopped out somewhere. How is this bike better, in that regard, it is all electronic as well? Or is it purely a reliability thing, Honda being known not to break down as much?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 09:35:00 am by OomD »

Offline teebag

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2021, 09:47:55 am »
Yes it has electronics, all modern bikes do, but looking at the wiring diagram tells me it is a whole lot simpler when compared to the 701.  The actual systems required to keep the bike running are less intricate, closer to a 500 but with a quality weather sealed wiring harness

And that perceived reliability thing you mentioned.

The 701 is the pinnacle of single cylinder engine development, with each generation refined to extract more power. The 450 is a proven competition engine, that has been de-tuned, adapted and strengthened for the intended use.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 09:54:09 am by teebag »

The following users thanked this post: OomD

Offline teebag

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2021, 06:24:09 pm »
I wonder how much money motorcycle manufacturers actually save using a small paintbrush to apply grease to bearings and shafts  ::) Maybe itís just they know they will make easy money with servicing and spares if they are frugal with the lubrication, and itís not just Honda before anyone starts pointing fingers.

With winter coming, I thought it may be a good idea to have a poke around and add a little quality grease of my own, too keep the wheels turning a little longer, so to speak - wheels, steering and suspension.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 09:32:17 am by teebag »

Offline teebag

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2021, 02:03:27 pm »
Fitted a set of Motoz Tractionator RallZ

Offline BullSmit

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Bullfrog
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2021, 04:40:32 pm »
Nice rubber!

That li'l 300 is gonna hook up nicely... On the dirt!!
ĎI just get up every morning and go out. And I donít let the old man in,í Clint Eastwood

Offline teebag

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2021, 05:05:06 pm »
itís a 450 at least I hope it is
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 06:04:32 pm by teebag »

Offline Mapog

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2021, 08:30:40 pm »
TB
So what did you pay?
Did they include all the goodies for R125k?

I believe this bike has been discontinued by Honda SA?

Offline teebag

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2021, 08:35:29 pm »
Lets just say I got a very good deal

The L is not being sold by Honda anywhere, it has been replaced by the RL (cosmetic updates) in the States, currently the only place it is available. Not sure of the plans for the rest of the World.

Offline teebag

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2021, 03:51:50 pm »
1st ride done, now the mods can begin

Offline teebag

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2021, 07:26:58 pm »
1st thing fit some FatBars

Offline BullSmit

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Bullfrog
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2021, 01:11:24 pm »
itís a 450 at least I hope it is

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Age is a bitch, hey!

Apologies.

ĎI just get up every morning and go out. And I donít let the old man in,í Clint Eastwood