Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Digital temperature gauges  (Read 250 times)

Offline Neo_za

Digital temperature gauges
« on: July 20, 2021, 10:47:32 am »
I bought a bike with such a meter fitted, but which does not work.

Doing some research it seems it is similiar to the radiator fin type guage made by Trail Tech as in the pic below. Normally fitted on dirt bikes, so i dont know much about them.

Both the one on my bike, as well as the Trail Tech are sealed units with internal batteries and no external power supply. At the price these things go for, throwing it away every few years because the battery died seems like a waste to me.

Are there any alternatives with replaceable batteries or external power available that you know about?

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
Re: Digital temperature gauges
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 01:33:45 pm »
I bought a bike with such a meter fitted, but which does not work.

Doing some research it seems it is similiar to the radiator fin type guage made by Trail Tech as in the pic below. Normally fitted on dirt bikes, so i dont know much about them.

Both the one on my bike, as well as the Trail Tech are sealed units with internal batteries and no external power supply. At the price these things go for, throwing it away every few years because the battery died seems like a waste to me.

Are there any alternatives with replaceable batteries or external power available that you know about?

Yes there are. I bought a couple of them from BidorBuy and installed one on my previous Dakar.

They either work with a replaceable battery or you can wire them to your bike. They are accurate and not expensive.

The following users thanked this post: Neo_za

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 04:34:44 pm »
Is this what you are referring to? R504

Offline ultraflight

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 390 Adventure
  • Always keen to ride.
    • Xplorer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 10:49:44 pm »
Runleader which is widely available, makes a range of gauges with replaceable battery.
They are very much less expensive than Trailtech.

However, they chomp through batteries at a ridiculous pace.
I spent more on replacing batteries over the same lifetime of a Trailtech instrument, than the cost of a new Trailtech instrument.

I now have several Trailtech guages, on different machines including tacho-hour meters and temperature meters. When the battery eventually runs out (5 to 7 years), I simply force the back cover off with a surgical scalpel, dig out the resin, solder in a new battery, then fill it with fresh resin and glue the rear cover back on, making it ready for several more years of service..
The Trailtech products are very well designed. Robust, reliable, long battery life, and more compact casing than any other brand.