Battery advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Hi dogs, I please need some advice re battery for my KTM 890 Adv R, a few months back I replaced the stock Yuasa YTZ12S battery with a Poweroad - PLFP-14BR lithium battery, which after some research I see is the replacement for the YTZ10S. Since then my bike has been cranking lazily (if that's even a word) seems the lithium battery is a 4amp battery and the Yuasa was a 5.5amp battery. The bike does fire up, but it's a lazy start. Mark at KTM Centurion says its not the valve clearances.

I've been doing some research for a bigger battery and am keen on the Motobatt MHTZ14S (7.1 amp) or the Poweroad 18BAT-PLFP-18R (5 amp), both come up as the alternative for the YTZ12S.

So my question is, besides the dimensions being right to fit in the battery box, can I buy something bigger, such as the 18BAT-PLFP-20L (6amps and 360cca) and not cause any electrical wires being fried problems? The added benefit is then the CCA increases as well.

I have absolutely no knowledge about batteries and what impact they have, thanking you for your inputs and advice.

Take care
Mark

Last edited: