Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Namibia - bike licence?  (Read 160 times)

Offline tenereguy

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Namibia - bike licence?
« on: September 06, 2021, 08:04:24 pm »
Hi - I just did my intro post on the forum, now I have my first question. I have planned my first trip which is around Southern Namibia - about 3000km.

I only have a learners licence for my bike which is legal to ride with in SA, but I heard that you have to have a code A bike licence to cross the the border.

We are planning to cross at Vioolsdrift on 24 Sept and now I know I won’t be able to get a booking to do my licence before then.

My question: Do they actually ask to see your licence at the border or do they just check all the other documents you need? Is it a given that they will check or is it random “luck of the draw”

Worst case scenario is that I take a chance and if they stop me we will change the trip to a Northern Cape adventure trip!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated - cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mev Vis Arend

Re: Namibia - bike licence?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 06:35:57 am »
Hulle het nog altyd ons lisensies gekyk by die grens.  Bel die grens direk en hoor uit die perd se bek of hulle jou lisensie gaan aanvaar.  Dis wat ek doen as ek oor iets twyvel. 

Geniet jou trip.  Namibia is altyd 'n belewenis.   :thumleft:
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

The following users thanked this post: tenereguy

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 08:31:58 am »
My better half did Namibia twice on a learners license.OK that was in 2003 and 4 rules could have changed since. Best is to pm Dappermuis,Baches or Bordercollie and ask them.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 08:53:34 am »
Might not check at the border - I cannot remember ever being asked - but I have been through many roadblocks where they ask for it, albeit mainly in the North......

Face facts - you are not going to cancel your trip, are you?

What I would confirm is that your medical aid and insurance cover you on a learners in in Namibia.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline tenereguy

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 06:00:07 pm »
My better half did Namibia twice on a learners license.OK that was in 2003 and 4 rules could have changed since. Best is to pm Dappermuis,Baches or Bordercollie and ask them.

Thank you - I will pm them. Appreciate the heads up 👍🏻