Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Hi - from Sydney OZ .. to the Isle of Man TT and return  (Read 660 times)

Offline Frank Warner

• Bike: BMW R80GS
    • http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/
Hi - from Sydney OZ .. to the Isle of Man TT and return
« on: September 14, 2006, 02:20:06 am »
Hi guys,
My name is Frank Warner, I?m a motorcyclist in Australia. I'm thinking of a trip next year going to the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy race ? it is the centenary next year. I'm not much of a race goer but I figure it is a street circuit and most people there will be motorcyclist so it won't be too bad and it is a good excuse for a ride.

My present thoughts are to fly me and the bike to Johannesburg ? ride from there up the west coast of Africa, through Spain to England, then the Isle of Man, and return by riding back to India.

Some of you have seen my emails around the web over time ..  in arious locations...

I've posted a long email on
http://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34288#34288

That should I think be the better place for talk on my plans ?

As for me.. well I've travelled, ridden here is Australia of course, New Zealand, China, Europe .. this will be my first time in Africa. I've been reading yoiur stuff here and gotten a few clues .. may have missed some stuff though.
Frank Warner - Austarlia
http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/

Offline X Banana Boy

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 03:38:56 am »
Hi Frank,

You should be able to get some great info from the guys and ladies on this side.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 08:10:31 am »
Hi Frank,
Seen your posts on ADV Rider etc, welcome to the site, the boys and girls should be able to help.

For the rest of you, Frank is very knowledgeable on the mechanical issues and always a good source of info.

I will check your other post.

Welsh  8)
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 08:35:56 am »
Hi Frank!

The West Coast of Africa is generally considered to be the toughest route (sometimes going up the middle is tougher).
The officials are very corrupt and the northern nations are frequently at war.

From what I hear the trip can be done in about three months if you are lucky or in as little as one month if you race up the East Coast

visit HorizonsUnlimited for more overland orientated advice
or contact Martin at www.martin-wellein.de
he is a German who arrived in Cape Town this very week after riding down the West Coast.

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 08:54:07 am »
Welcome Frank

Good luck with the planning and feel free to ask as many questions and get local advice from this forum and people like Martin as possible.

Cheers
Hein

Offline Frank Warner

• Bike: BMW R80GS
    • http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 12:56:02 am »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
The West Coast of Africa is generally considered to be the toughest route

Not into tough. Unusual yes. Scenic even better..  
From what I hear the trip can be done in about three months if you are lucky or in as little as one month if you race up the East Coast

Not into racing, more of a stop and look type .. will take 20 minutes watching an eagle soar. .. Jan to April/May should be enough time.. well .. I'd like longer but money ..
visit HorizonsUnlimited for more overland orientated advice
or contact Martin at www.martin-wellein.de

YYou have not sighted my posts over on HU? I've seen yours. Take a look at the organisation of 2007 HU meeting in the UK .. I stirred them up about the date .. it is now just after the TT races finish .. I'll be there (fingers crossed!)  Booked in, T-shirt and subs paid...

Martins a bit behind on this web site .. don't blame him .. travelling is much nicer than webbing .. and my site is also lacking some up dates ... will have to get another site ..yahoo limits to 15MB and I'm running 14.7 so no africa notes there .. did you know that a Xd card weighs 1 gram but a CF card weights over ten ties as much? And REI pants are 100 grams heavier than Columbus pants?

Also talking to Lois on the loose .. she is comeing down as I go up.. will havce to refer her to here too. Thanks for the advice so far - keep 'em coming .. I'm soaking them up ..
Frank Warner - Austarlia
http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/