Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Project:21 inch GS adventure front - tested on the mud monster  (Read 6036 times)

Offline Paulsky

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If it's not Blue with a bit of Orange it's a Lemon
Re: Project:21 inch GS adventure front - the rim is here!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2009, 10:20:28 pm »
That is the shit, well done, it must make the bike a whole lot more user friendly
" TARRED ROADS , JUST ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS,  SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"

Offline sillystunt

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2009, 07:36:21 pm »
hey gg.
thats a great thread man, the bike looks fantastic and for 11 grand much better value than panniers !
i have just got a 19 inch front for my dakar for the road,it was worth every cent.
its like having two bikes isnt it .
well done for all the effort.
We miss 100% of the shots we never take.

Offline Chuck U Farley

• Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • What the Chuck, Farley?
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2009, 07:57:36 pm »
Well done, but damn you! You're making me want to cross back over from the "dark side"
go BIG or go home

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2009, 08:07:01 pm »
Where the hell am I going to get R11 000 >:(
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2009, 08:11:48 pm »
As I said would be surprised if you got away under 10K ... was 11k in the end. Lotsa moola - hope it is worth it? Must say does seem to be the beeznutzz  :ricky:

I wonder.............. who's next  ;D
Rallye

Offline GG

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
    • G Spot
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:04 am »
Thanks guys, it is great, each time I walk past the bike I surepticiously gently pat the tyre and get a little woody   :ricky:

My buddy Pierre R has an identical adventure and so I am keen to be sceintific this weekend at ride the same section of sand and dirt on both within a short time and get a real feel for the difference! Will report back on this.

AMA ride, if you can get your hands on an HP2 rim and spokes then thread these onto your existing hub!  Its the cheapest option and there are replies on this post who can do this.

Offline Plaashaas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Project:21 inch GS adventure front
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2009, 11:30:46 am »
I built a 21' wheel for Camojo on the forum for his camo 1150, but it is not tubeless and it cost about R5k.I can lace that wheel.

HI-JACK anyone know by now --if we can go tubeless on 800s??? not home made buit something proffesional?
Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2009, 11:35:30 am »
I built a 21' wheel for Camojo on the forum for his camo 1150, but it is not tubeless and it cost about R5k.I can lace that wheel.

HI-JACK anyone know by now --if we can go tubeless on 800s??? not home made buit something proffesional?

you should have bought the 1200 plaashaas

you keep saying that bigger is better so should have just gone all the way  >:D

Offline Plaashaas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2009, 12:13:37 pm »

you should have bought the 1200 plaashaas

you keep saying that bigger is better so should have just gone all the way  >:D

Bigger on boobs maybe ---Nee Man rather help me (money not a real concern here  :biggrin:)!!! dont want a tank wanted a lighter bike that can do far over 160km/h easily  and be picked  up easily as I know(not plan on moering over frequently)   and its everything i WANTED --just the farking tyres (had 2 flats on the rear within 50km in Jan and that was on 2 different tubes)   (DONT WANT A SINGLE EITHER Cause is still need to get there where I wanna be)

truly believe it is not an upgrade for what I want to use it

rather go 990 then but also getting too heavy for me

Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2009, 03:42:13 pm »
AMA ride, if you can get your hands on an HP2 rim and spokes then thread these onto your existing hub!  Its the cheapest option and there are replies on this post who can do this.

If you use your current hub:
Approximately:
R4,300 for the rim
R1,000 for the spokes
R2,000 for fitment

R7300 in Total

If you ad the hub it will be most likely more than R11,000

Hulle rook ons hier in SA

Offline GG

• G Spot
Re: Project:21 inch GS adventure front - tested on the mud monster
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2009, 05:01:57 pm »

I had my chance to test the new wheel on a trip towards the Koster area.  In the group, seamus on his dakar with knobblies, Pierre on his GSA (same as mine) with anakees and normal front.

It had rained in the night and we hit the mud soon on the ride...

Gooie sticky and normally a nightmare of slipping and sliding, instead the new wheel floated along, moving easily wherever I directed it, giving me huge confidence. 

Pierre meanwhile was cursing us, not least cause I went down the wrong muddy road but he was all over the place on his standard front!Thats him in the far distance struggling along.

A short while later Seamus got a puncture and we headed home pumping his front every 20 or so k's.

On the way back Pierre and I swopped, to get an immediate impression.  I also gunned it on tar doing some fast 150k twisties. Verdict..
1.  On gravel and loose sand its fantastic, Pierre got on my bike and imeadiatelly flew along where he had been taking strain.  His comment - this rim makes you too confident you could get yourself into kak!
2.  On mud and dirt the wheel is solid, confident with crisp turns and seems to float, but with added traction.
3.  On tar (I am not a peg scraper by a long shot) it feels very good, if anything a more positive action (more counter steer) is needed on sharp corners.
4.  I rode with no mud flap , on dirt this is fine but on mud the wheel throws the mud forward and the wind lifts and sprays this into your face!

I came back ecstatic about my new aquisition and pierre immediatelly started searching for a new one to put on his rim!
Next posting my Macgyver style mudflap holder!!!!!!!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009, 05:15:56 pm »
Cool conversion there GG, I see you have some decent discs at last, far better than the standard kark.
The rear tyre, million zim dollar question, As soon as I know I will let you know. :thumleft:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2009, 05:26:42 pm »

I had my chance to test the new wheel on a trip towards the Koster area.  In the group, seamus on his dakar with knobblies, Pierre on his GSA (same as mine) with anakees and normal front.

Hey GG

Would the selection of tyre not have a bigger influence in mud than the size of the rim ??

TKC vs Anakee ??

Offline GG

• G Spot
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2009, 08:56:24 pm »
slainte?.. WTF did youy lose a bet or is your real name worse than your forum name!!

The selection of tyre did make a difference but I had TKC's in Nam with Seamus and I shat off - check Namibian Sand Monsters on this forum - this time I was smiling! 

No question that size matters... got so say tho if you do less than 40% offroad don't waste your time the 1200 GSA is capable enough... more than that it becomes a KTM chewer and spitter outer!!!!!!!!  :pot: Eish pass the wooden spoon!

Offline GG

• G Spot
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2009, 09:24:41 pm »
OK Pierre is driving me dilly.. the mygyver plan!

First of all, I decided to attach the mudflap to the bolt thingy on the suspension.  So I go to BM and they nearly faint!

The bike will rip in two they gasp!  Eish so another solution is needed!

I am busy so I call Harry the House Boy my faithfull handlanger.... I explain what i need.  A bracket which will attach to the underneath bolts from the old mudflap position and go over the cradle with holes for the same mudflap on top.

So Harry finds some gutter brackets, bends and bangs with a bobejaan spanner and leaves them in the garage for me!  German engineering se moer!  Look away Beemerman this is ugly!

I fit them, I hammer, I use a tyre lever, I wince at the thought of anyone seeing these!  One is higher than the other but marginally, so i tell myself its an experiment!

Then I cut the mudflap in two and a groove on either side to fit around the main JC bearing (that BM told me not to touch) and around the oil and abs cable!  Now I think - bolts will work loose, and its a bitch to get under there for tightening so I shoot off to the hardware and get long rivets and washers. I practically lick Harry the Handlangers armpit as we wrestler seemingly arm in arm to make the rivets vas. I emerge smelling of Boxer tobacco but with a grin like Charlize has given me a good rogering!

The two cut off pieces take a while to fit but come out great, much more clearance than standard and solid

It works and I would recommend proper brackets but for now this is my B & B plan and it looks good.  Total cost almost R 14 k cheaper than wunderlich / cytech conversion.

MY KTM CHEWER AND SPITTER OUTER
IS READY TO GO TO MOERTOE AGAIN!  :ricky:

Offline sob89

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2009, 09:46:10 pm »
Somw video guys

Offline JO GSA

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • XT660R Wheeeeeeeee......
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2009, 09:21:27 am »
This is a very intresting thread, thanks. I was just wondering if you have tried adjusting youre front suspention to compensate for the hight that you have gained with the 21 inch rim???
a Great man is known by how he treats people that can't do anything for him.
Curry Blake

It's all good, all of the time.
Johan Smith

Offline GG

• G Spot
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2009, 09:26:10 am »
This is a very intresting thread, thanks. I was just wondering if you have tried adjusting youre front suspention to compensate for the hight that you have gained with the 21 inch rim???

NO, I assume you mean the front adjuster on the shock.  I assume this makes the front softer but does not really drop it?  I am happy with the height tho just interested in what adjustment you are talking about?

Offline JO GSA

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • XT660R Wheeeeeeeee......
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 09:37:37 am »

NO, I assume you mean the front adjuster on the shock.  I assume this makes the front softer but does not really drop it?  I am happy with the height tho just interested in what adjustment you are talking about?

Yes I was talking about the adjustment of the front shock.
And yes it would make the shock shorter, but I learned that you must aim to keem the bike as level as posible. Cause if you are to high in front, it would make the bike very stable at speed on straight roads but you lose stability on slow technical stuff. And please correct me if I am wrong about this, but it is wat Jan @ Country trax taught us.
a Great man is known by how he treats people that can't do anything for him.
Curry Blake

It's all good, all of the time.
Johan Smith

Offline @VT

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2009, 02:07:01 pm »
Sprocketbek, the guys you rode with is Claus. He (and his son) is based in Paarl and they manufacture the 21' front wheel set-up for a 1200GS. He is busy developing one for a 1150 as well. He use the front rim of a R80, which can be purchased seperately from BMW (Not so in the case of a HP2, according to him) The rim of a R80 is apparently very strong. It is a tubeless rim.
I someone is interested, I can find his contact detail.

Hi Jaco

As regards your comments above - I'm really keen to do a 21" conversion my my 1200GSA, looking to do it as cost effectively as possible, and not too worried about having both options available, so it would work for me to have my current hub laced to a 21" rim, so it would only require spokes a rim and someone to do it - if Claus above is the right person to talk to about this, can you put me on to him.

Regards
David
Biking history excluding project bikes - Yamaha's: DT50LC, DT250, XT500 & 1200 Super Tenere. BMW's: F650, R80G/S, K75, R100RS, 1200GS & 1200GSA, Triumph Tiger 885. Honda's: Africa Twin's x 3 & Varadero 1000. Now back to BMW 1200 GSA