Heidenau K60 - owner's report.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
After having had TKC80s and Karoo IIs on the HP2's back wheel (and forking out a lot of money on rear tyres in the process) I fitted a Heidenau K60 to the rear. I still have a perfectly good TKC 80 on the front and it too will last more than 10 000 km.

The tyre in the photo has now done 2000km. I think it is incredible, considering that I've don 40-plus degree heat on tar (from Lambert's Bay to Cape Town recently), rocky tweespoorpaadjies, a bit of sand and some dirt highways. Not forgetting the steeking in town, what with the HP2's much cleaner air filter having loosened up quite a few ponies (wonder why ...  :biggrin:).

I can't honestly tell you there's a noticeable difference i.t.o. stability on dirt between the K60 and a TKC 80. Maybe I'm too doff or just not good enough. Dunno. Traction going up a very loose, rocky mountain track on a recent Naa!ers trip also proved to be very adequate. Plus, like most people know, the right tyre pressure (ie, a bit lower) greatly increases traction.

So, in summary, in terms of the price/performance X/Y axes I just can't see myself using any other tyre at the back from now onwards. As far as I'm concerned this is a true 'adventure riding' tyre, as the far away places I visit now and then are unfortunately well, far away, and unfortunately necessitate some tar riding to get there.

hk60yj6.jpg