DIY paddock stand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
I have a problem. To start at the beginning - I'm in central Scotland. I have a set of new Mitas E07s to fit onto a BMW F650GS Dakar - the place that can actually do the change is 50km away, and they'll only do it if I can bring the wheels in.

Whoever had the bike before me thought Karoo 3s would handle endless miles on tar alone. Didn't they get the word Karoo? Desert and sand? Now it has perfect outside knobblies with a completely smooth centre which last weekend threatened to slide me into a wee burn (stream).

The bike doesn't have a centre stand. There is no-one here to help "just pick up the rear end", and I can't figure out how to lift the bike onto anything stable enough to hold it vertical with both wheels off (it doesn't make sense to do them one at a time, given the distance to the tyre change place). I don't know if any trees strong enough to hang the bike from.

Somewhere in the past I remember seeing a single pole diy paddock stand that uses the bike's stand to lift the rear wheel off the ground enough to be able to remove the wheel...

Something to do with being an adventurer out in darkest Africa where there isn't a bike change place... Ha, ha, in Africa there is always a crowd to help. In Scotland there are people, but helpers very few and far between.

So, what's the question? Anyone seen anything like this ( single pole diy paddock stand that uses the bike's stand to lift the rear wheel off the ground enough to be able to remove the wheel)?

Alternatively, any ideas on how to remove both wheels, leaving the bike in such a way as to be able to refit the wheels?

Some eye candy to attract wisdom (and make you want to ride Scotland). Any blue sky days are an amazing fluke of being in the right place right time. In S'Africa, seeing blue sky and perky sea (ie with waves) is common, in Scotland this is the second time in 3 years I've seen this.

Attachments

• IMG_20230819_112733_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230819_112733_HDR.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230814_204549_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230814_204549_HDR.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230814_183630_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230814_183630_HDR.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230618212514_IMG_2118.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0