Advice with MAX LOAD (and other issues)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBig

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 955 Tiger
Hallo all!
Here?s my soppy story and I shall greatly appreciate any advice.
I?ve got a Yamaha 660 XTZ Ten�©r�©. (It?s in a brilliant condition.)
As it was an import it?s tough to find certain parts off the shelf here. The engine is not really an issue as the Raptor 660 has exactly the same one. (And the engine is anyway virtually bulletproof.)

For a thumper this bike is wonderfully comfortable. I have done numerous trips both on and off road and it provides pretty much everything I want from it. It?s reliable as well as economical (I did 3500km in 9 days last month ? a third of which was on dirt - 2 up with luggage ? and stil got 19km/L). It?s extremely smooth and (unlike most big singles) there?s virtually no vibration on the handles at cruising speeds. Comfortable pillion seat and more than enough power.

It can do with some improvement. Maybe a slightly taller touring screen, a centre stand and definitely some crash bars for protection of the (oh so pretty) fairings and tank.

The biggest problem I have though, is load capacity.
On the standard shock it?s max recommended load is 180kg and that doesn?t leave much room with 2 up. On my last trip I was about 15-20kg over and it showed. The rear shock (stock) has already done 40k so it?s not exactly in good shape. It bottomed out here and there. Completely ate the top chain roller and generally brutalised the chain and sprockets when the terrain got rough.

So ? the question begs. What are my options?

Aftermarket shock? What?s available for this model? It?s a helluva expensive exercise I believe.

Rebuild the current shock? Who does this kind of work in my area? (I?m in Stellenbosch).
Is this going to make any difference? Will it be possible to increase the max load in some way and maybe also increase the height at the same time?

Or should I say screw it and get rid of the bike? But then what? I don?t want a GS.
Too big. Too complicated.
The AT ?s an option but it only really offers an extra 15kg extra load capacity. (In exchange for being a 20kg heavier bike). The AT is probably the better overlander and will provide more power and a better top end. But what else will it offer in exchange for the rather hefty premium required.

My head is spinning. :dontknow:
PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!