Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: @#$%^&*! Bike shop  (Read 610 times)

Offline Christian Kuun

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
@#$%^&*! Bike shop
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:07:25 pm »
A particular non brand specific bike shop in Stellies has me up to my bloody vaseline lubed nipples!

1 year and 5 months later I still dont have a bike. I call twice a week and there is always the "we are busy with it right now" story. I know I said it is an oldish bike and I dont want to spend big bucks but hell, November they were done with all the "fixing". I went to collect and all looked well, started fine and I paid R5500 which included two new needle/seats. Halfway home I felt the bike was flooding badly and it was leaking from the carbs. Took it back. Now let me teach you something- ASSUME means making an ASS out of U and ME. I ASSUMED a mechanic would test a bike before handing it back. It took from Nov till today to get 2 more needle/seats in and they told me they had tested it and all was hunky dory. Got there, collected bone dry bike and hoped to make a fuel station. I didnt make it and had to push that 240kg cast iron blok. Put in R50 and tried to start. Nada! It would start but wouldnt pick up revs. Called the mac and he sent one of his macs to me. Took a look and he said "maybe it sucked in dirt from being driven bone dry". I looked and they never put the inline fuel filter back again. I popped a gascket and told them to come and fetch it and I got a lift home with my nephew on a Vuka. Left it there and will here in another 5 months if they have sorted it out.

Return to this shop in my lifetime again- NEVER. Been very unhappy with the service.
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
Re: @#$%^&*! Bike shop
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 05:33:20 pm »
I got a lift home with my nephew on a Vuka

Damn! That's the worst man, sue the fuckers for contumelia.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 06:18:20 pm »
I got a lift home with my nephew on a Vuka

Damn! That's the worst man, sue the fuckers for contumelia.

Better yet sue them for a Vuka, seems they are more reliable.

Offline Doringboom

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:33:13 pm »
The state of craftsmanship on the SA bike scene nowadays is becoming more and more worrying by the day. The amateurish neglect I have witnessed on my bikes since I have started biking is a bloody disgrace! And that was from some prominent bikeshops here in Pretoria :xxbah: Once replacements on my bike go beyond ordinary service parts I am a complete "senuweebol". I can only hope that things turn out well for you!

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 08:41:59 pm »
I always try to make use of the forum sponsors, even if it's just a phone call to check if they agree with what I think the bike needs, and Groenie from KLR Central is always happy to let me fix my bike myself while he (very patiently) teaches me how bikes work.

Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline lecap

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 08:30:42 am »
Currently working on two KLR's
The first is a 07 with mere 22000 on the clock:
1 valve cover bolt thread stipped (and then "glued" into place with thread lock), steering head so grossly overtightened that the thing does not want to corner. Alternator cover bolts and various other fasteners fitted with thread lock.
As you might have guessed full authorised dealer service history and the valves were tight too.

The second one is an old bitch, but also sold by a dealer:
Engine never opened (claim) but there is still non OEM liquid sealing oozing out of the crankcase split, alternator cover and clutch cover gaskets as well as the foot & head gaskets :o :o :o
The bike vibrated very badly and a quick check revealed that someone lacking all knowledge of the function of balancer shafts had assembled the engine.

Bikes getting sold with RWC, leaking shocks and buggered steering head bearings don't get me excited any more.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Basset

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 05:52:58 pm »
Dealers want to pay peanuts so they get monkeys working for them.
They have a captive audience, no official service history, no guarantee.

Offline ta2bryan

• Puppy
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:10:43 pm »
Many years ago took my boney to a small bike shop in Kempton, phoned regularly and got same answer, "still busy, waiting for parts". After 6 months he moved from the shop to his house, still same answer, finally decided to go fetch bike, got there and the house was empty. Neighbour told me that they just packed and left one weekend, with my bike. :'( :dousing:

Lesson learned, I now buy a manual and fix my own bikes, if I can't, find a connection who can.
Become the change you want to see in the world - M.Ghandi