Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Areas in South Africa  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
Areas in South Africa
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:17:49 pm »
So I feel a bit ashamed to ask this, but thankfully I am discovering this for myself which means I will apreciate it more, than it being shuffed down my throat.

So there are many areas in South Africa (or districts, not sure how you describe them) that I have heard the names of, but most of the time, I have no idea where they are situated, or where to go look for them to learn more about them and the surrounding areas. I'm talking about words like: Die Swartland, Magaliesburg, Namakwaland, Boesmanland, Matzikamma (I think), Richterveld etc etc. So, where do I find out more about these areas and how they look and what they offer? I want to learn more. I want to know more. I want to make a trip exploring say the Richtersveld, then the Swartland, then the this and that.

So, please help. I only did geography till standard 7, then I had to choose what subjects (which I personally felt was stupid). So, cover me in inforation about our Beautiful country.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:31:34 pm by Inprogress »
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
Re: Areas in South Africa
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:20:11 pm »
http://www.google.co.za/           :lamer:
How can I be lost when I have got nowhere to go?

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:59:50 pm »
Where TF is Gordonia?

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:00:58 pm »
Besides a punch in your eye buy some detailed maps of the different areas you looking for. Some even have gps points :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline SlowPoke

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Can't stop staring at Manic's avatar...
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:10:40 pm »
Where TF is Gordonia?

Gordonia is the area along the orange river in the Northern cape. Upington, keimoes, kakamas, groot drink etc. Some of the most beautifull scenic areas in SA. Love that area - plus it gets freakishly hot  :mwink: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in a large group...
There are only 10 kinds of people who understand binary, those who do and those who don't

Offline Plaashaas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:42:01 pm »
So I feel a bit ashamed to ask this, but thank fully I am discovering this for myself which means I will apreciate it more, than it being shuffed down my throat.

So there are many areas in South Africa (or districts, not sure how you describe them) that I have heard the names of, but most of the time, I have no idea where they are situated, or where to go look for them to learn more about them and the surrounding areas. I'm talking about words like: Die Swartland, Magaliesburg, Namakwaland, Boesmanland, Matzikamma (I think), Richterveld etc etc. So, where do I find out more about these areas and how they look and what they offer? I want to learn more. I want to know more. I want to make a trip exploring say the Richtersveld, then the Swartland, then the this and that.

So, please help. I only did geography till standard 7, then I had to choose what subjects (which I personally felt was stupid). So, cover me in inforation about our Beautiful country.

I think a book titled "flat roads and twistys" will help

good luck with school :)
Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 02:43:28 pm »
I am still looking for "Elders"... that place that always get's the rain?

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 03:22:25 pm »
I found Hot - As - Hell, or rather Hotazel. Wow, I thought it might be close to Tzaneen or Palaborwa.

Ok ok, banter aside you okes, a map is great, but what type of map will include names such as "Swartland" on it? And where do I ..... never mind I suppose the bookstore should have that, right?!

I love the Northen Cape and the northen parts of the Western Cape. Will continue my quest. Hey, what is the story with Travel South Africa, or no, wait...Detour South Africa, there should be a ton of places on that?

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:10:27 pm »
You need the book "Op Pad in Suid Afrika". It's a very informative guide about all of South Africa region by region.

ISBN: 1 868 42149 X

Link here.

Also available in English here.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:11:33 pm by Trailrider »

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 12:03:47 am »
I found Hot - As - Hell, or rather Hotazel. Wow, I thought it might be close to Tzaneen or Palaborwa.

Ok ok, banter aside you okes, a map is great, but what type of map will include names such as "Swartland" on it? And where do I ..... never mind I suppose the bookstore should have that, right?!

I love the Northen Cape and the northen parts of the Western Cape. Will continue my quest. Hey, what is the story with Travel South Africa, or no, wait...Detour South Africa, there should be a ton of places on that?
I have been from Hotazel to Poffadder and the latter is hotter. >:D
That used to be my area of responsibility when I worked for Frasers... wide open spaces and miles of nothing yet spectacular in it's own way. :thumleft:

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 08:03:17 am »
Maybe that is the real reason why those snakes are called Poffadder, cuase in the heat at Poffadder they all went....POFF! :biggrin:

Thanks for the name of that boek trailrider, I mean Book. Might get it in Afrikaans, just seem right, in a weird nonsense kinda way.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:05:37 am by Inprogress »

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 08:04:29 am »
Maybe that is the real reason why those snakes are called Poffadder, cuase in the heat at Poffadder they all went....POFF! :biggrin:
:laughing4: