Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200GS electrical problem  (Read 278 times)

Offline GS12

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
1200GS electrical problem
« on: March 23, 2009, 07:46:29 am »
Fitted a Touratech cockpit cover 2, the one with the socket dohickey, the weekend. Had to remove the tank, not to much of an effort, only the wiring etc on the left that had to be done carefully. This socket has a wire running directly to the battery now.

Once finished and re-assembled I tried starting her..........no go :( the dash lights would come on and go off intermitantley but if you hit the starter but there is just a click, the engine warning light also comes on with the ABS light flashing, thinking low battery power. The current battery is about 3 years old, permanently linked to one of this CTek type mili amp chargers, but I must assume that even with this the battery can only last so long....any thoughts from experience?

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: 1200GS electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 07:51:23 am »
Silly question, but are the battery terminals tight?
The 1200 GS battery is also known to die 'suddenly', no warning. A client of mine had the same problem on a BMW K1200S, just packed up all of a sudden. Can you get your battery to a battery dealer for him to check the battery condition?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 07:55:55 am »
Agree with Adventurer.

3 years is a fair milage for any battery.
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline lecap

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 08:57:52 am »
Trickle charger for storage battery (as in caravan, & boat, UPS...) yes.
Trickle charger for starter battery (as in bike & car) no.

Starter batteries are not designed to be float (trickle) charged, suffer from sulfation and die prematurely as a result.
Either fork out for an "intelligent" charger which monitors battery condition and recharges periodically when the self discharge exceeds a certain limit or just ride your bike more often.

And yes, after three years the battery might just have died. Measure voltage. A healthy and charged battery should be between 12.6V and 12.8V open circuit and not drop below 12V closed circuit with some lighs switched on.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:13:09 am »
Sorry but battery fickleness aside ... IMHO the evidence here suggests that some thing has been dislodged, shorted, poor earth etc while tank off and bike essentially dissasembled... I would retrace my steps, even if shlep taking tank off again.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky: