PE to Steylerville via Grootrivier - a story about a little afternoon ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki Djebel 250XC
This is not a detailed Ride Report with lots of photo's ect, but just a little account that sometimes things do not always go as planned.

Acting on the invite posted by Gromit wanting to do the Elandriver/Grootrivier/Steylerville/Uitenhage round trip
posted at

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=29707.0,

I arrived at the meeting place @ 13h20, to be greeted by ECtrax and Gromit.  So we started off a small party of three.

I will endeavour, in point form, to highlight some of the encounters I experienced that made my hart miss a beat now and then.  The times given are approximates, and provided as a timeline of events.

13h25Depart
13h32Cape Road, at 80+ kph missed a pedestrian running over the road by millimetres - swerved to the right JIT.  I actually visualised hitting him and going for a serious tumble! 
14h05Elandsriver road, going into a sharp detour (road works), geared down to far, locked the back-wheel.  Dust and sliding all over the place, very nearly horizonal!
14h38Track to Grootrivier poort, while navigating a steep decline with lots of loosed stuff, nearly lost it when the front wheel lost traction and decide to go where I did not want to.
15h07After the Grootrivier water-crossing, another decline with lots of loose rocks and wash-a-ways.  My fault, going over the preceding rise to fast and hitting the sh!t at to high speed.  Fortunately I managed to stay up-right and bounced my way through.  Really scary moment.
15h47On the road to Steylerville, misfortune for Gomit - flat back tyre.  After lots of swearing and grunting, we could just not get the tyre back on again after fitting spare tube.
16h55Decide to take wheel and tyre into Steylerville and seek help.  ECTrax and myself unload topboxes, load the wheel and rode the 27 km to town asap.
16h56While turning, lost my footing and bike went horizontal - brushed shin.
17h25Arrive Steylerville.  Have tyre fixed.  Major problem now - it is getting dark, and fast!
18h37Returned to Gromit and his Fugly.  Completely dark now.  Umpteen hazzles get the wheel back on, blêrrie brake-pad keep falling out
19h25Eventually done, ready to continue.  ECTrax decided to overnight in Steylerville, while I and Gromit return to PE
19h28Again dropped the bike while turning it around - more character scratches to the plastics
20h25Very trying conditions riding in the dark and dust.  It was slow going - we were averaging about 55 - 60 kph at best, missing some holes just in the nick of time!
21h05Small antelope darted in front of me - a fistful of brakes and I just avoided hurting the local wildlife.  They really have beautiful eyes when viewed up closely.
21h10Charged through another washed-away drift - saw it to late and all I could do was to stand-up and gun it - lots of bouncing and praying.  Unfortunately in the process my right wrist was hurt/strained.
21h14On the gravel highway to Uitenhage, dust a real problem, making visibility even more difficult.
21h25In the low viz, went into a turn with the wrong line, and went off-road, dodging the pendorings and frantically looking for a way to get back on the road.   Thinking back now I shutter -  I just cannot believe how lucky I was not to have a serious off, I went wide at about 70 kph!  Pulled various leaves and twigs from the hand guards and frame the next morning.
21h55Tar - phew!
22h20Arrived home.  Missus more happy than me as I was due back way before dark, the marvels of cell phone technology saved the day - called earlier from Steylerville to inform about problems.

Only photo's I took, on the high track to the Grootrivier with Patensie in the background (only had cellphone).  Perhaps ECTrax will post more.

Thanx to Gomit and ECTrax for a little bit of additional adventure.  And who said that D/S motorcycling is boring?

Attachments

• Photo-0016.jpg
    Photo-0016.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 188
  • Photo-0017.jpg
    Photo-0017.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 191