Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Feedback - Brits Beestekraal Railway Exploring  (Read 2119 times)

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
Feedback - Brits Beestekraal Railway Exploring
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:53:18 am »
If the objective was to find a nice rideable track along the rail line from Brits to Beestekraal, then I am afraid the ride was a bit of a failure.

But if the objective was just to get out there on a public holiday and have some fun riding about then we did not do too bad, and a big thanks to Malgat, Jules, Li and Silverwolf for coming along for the exploration. 

The short news is that I don’t believe there is a railway service road all the way; something I should have suspected from my Google Earth eyeballing. We would be riding along a nice bit of road and then suddenly it would morph into a footpath, and in some parts it was pretty “white knuckle” stuff.

One place in particular was one of the scariest riding experiences of my life. The path had narrowed down to not much wider than a tyre width, a steep unclimable wall of railway ballast to the left, and a steep dropoff into the bushes to the right, with no way to turn the bike round and retreat. I stopped for quite a while wondering what to do; convinced my back tyre could not hold the camber, but there was no choice – I had to go on.  My major concern was to high-side down the slope and end op with a KLE on top of me, so I edged forward like a woosie with my left boot along the ballast. Scary stuff, but we all got through.

A few metres later however. Li decided to do a bit of diving down a slope. I think it was a forward somersault with a half twist in the tuck position – degree of difficulty 2.5 – I would have given her a good mark but her entry into the blackjacks was a little untidy, and her toes were not pointed.  A little after that Li and I decided to leave the others doing their footpath riding and head off to Beestekraal on tar. At the stasie it was lekka to meet up with Malibu and Dakota on their way back from their weekend in Madimole/Thabazimbi area.

From there we rode part of the North Canal route back, and then Malgat and I stopped for a drink at O’Hagans.   

The good news is I have some GPS tracks of the rideable bits, but the bad news is I cant tell from the tracks which were the bits that could be included in future social rides, and which bits can’t. Will have to go back and explore a bit more, but be prepared to do wider detours.   

I think there is nice riding to be had in that area – it is just to find the roads that are not on private farms. Malgat’s next mission is to find a route along the crocodile river – that could be fun.

Thanks to Malgat, Silverwolf, Jules and Li for coming along. 

A few pics, but not many I am afraid – we just seemed to be too darn busy.

Jusr beyond Brits

Found this camping spot along the way – think it is called Klein Paradys or something like that. 

Jules and Li returning from one of the many dead-end detours. 

Jules and Silverwolf checking the KLR after Li’s somersault – Li emerging from the blackjacks after having passed the “are you okay” test.

Malibu and Dakota after adding their names to WD section of the wall at Beestekraal.

Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
Re: Feedback - Brits Beestekraal Railway Exploring
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:39:40 am »
Hey GG, it's a shame to hear the route does not really exist, but at least you had some fun riding around.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Dakota

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:44:10 am »
Was nice meeting up with you guys …. The best of lunch company  :thumleft:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

BMW 650 Dakar - don't get to ride it much anymore - my son has claimed it
Aprilia Dosodura 750 - My new bike - I love it
Husqvarna 610 TE (Sponsored) :-)

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:47:25 am »
Riding along, minding my own business, I suddenly see Gunda riding towards me... "What the heng..." threw a U-turn and then saw the rest of the rabble down on the side of the railway line...

Was just thinking of lunch and here are my buddies...  what a pleasure!   :thumleft:
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Misty

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • BMW650GS - DR650 - Triumph Scrambler 900 - BMW650G
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:04:37 am »
Looks like you guys had a nice ride :thumleft: - eish those black jacks are a pain hey Li! ;)
... “There might be a few bumps ahead in the road, but luckily you are well trained in off road riding!” ... PS: for sure, I'm a lot tougher than I look!! ;)

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:16:30 am »
im glad i did it,,,

at least i did ride the whole track as planned without deviations,,,its defnitely a challenge of your biking abilities and state of mind,,,,my toughest ride ever and that included the parts of de wildt i have done,,,,although i've never done the "coconuts " at de wildt i would suppose riding the railway camber is equal,,,it just seems so senseless to take all those risks and to throw yourself into such a situation knowing if you mess it its gonna be huge,,,muito muito huge

when riding on footpaths with gravel cliffs its mind boggling not to quit,,,,but tell yourself its a white line on a tar road and forget about the what ifs,,,its always handy to be able to bullshirt yourself,,,talk to your common sense and believing that its do-able,,,

what i did like was theres nobody(including quads) except the odd pedestrians and nobody has been there before,,,what one does notice is every now and then you see the remains of plastic tubing after the copper wires have been stripped down,,,so the cable thieves come here to strip the copper out,,,,we also saw a few illegal connections running over the ground,,,viva africa,,,

so where you are riding is virgin roads,,,,this trip we had to find alternatives all the time,,,its dreary but then also challenging cause we send  out scouts and when they make a break through the rest must follow,,,this is defnitely xr country and silverwolfs xr650 just loved it,,,,,what a bike,,,,,the "moby dick whale" AT did extremely well basically  because of its torque and and my mind over matter attitude,,,

i liked seeing the farms from the backside and not from the front with the canal roads,,,we passed several ploughed lands and saw some great stop places,,,,that was really cool,,,boy and it was hot or maybe its just the tension,,,

highlights were finding the klein paradys resort and true to its name it did look like heaven with its cool trees and magic dam area,,,also the bloubull quadtrack had the perfect compnents for a bash,,,a nice mx track and lotsa shady areas with nobody for miles around you,,,i also loved the very speedy race back along the north canal,,,we had defnitely improved our riding skills and pushed ourselves that little bit harder,,,i did like the dust but then i was in front (a good trick i learnt from blazes),,,also i saw some great fishing spots,,,

lowlights was having to jump railway lines and getting stuck in a bottle neck and the only way back was backwards,,,try pushing your bike backwards with your one foot on a railway line and the other hanging over a gravel cliff,,,,at one stage near beestekraal we wanted to cross the rails at a chicane and jules wheel just got jammed,,,we had to pull it out and kinda pick up the bikes and make a 180 turn,,,,o and lets not forget the huge puffadder skin lying in the road,,,

will i do it again,,,yes i would but this time i know which parts of the railway line i would avoid and have some idea of private alternative roads we could ride ,,,

but i wouldnt want to ride it this week or soon,,,,the trip took us 6 hours

also i wouldnt recommend this as a social ride and for some reason i think gs bm's are defnitely not adaptable to this ride,,,,its defnitely a tour for de wildt fanatics

thanx to gg for the planning and research,,,the dynamic duo jules and li, and to silverwolf for a great day
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:21:03 am by malgat »
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • No matter what you ride, it’s all the same wind
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:39:23 am »
Sounds like you all had a great time.

I was really looking forward to this ride. It really is too bad that I had to mis it. At least I went up the canal on Saturday as some sort of compensation.
Nearly got me ran over by a tractor. Saw the wall at beestekraal, next time round, I'll add my name to the WD wall.

Thanks for the RR. Sounds like great fun!
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." Richard Dawkins

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 10:14:16 am »

will i do it again,,,yes i would but this time i know which parts of the railway line i would avoid and have some idea of private alternative roads we could ride ,,,
also i wouldnt recommend this as a social ride and for some reason i think gs bm's are defnitely not adaptable to this ride,,,,its defnitely a tour for de wildt fanatics

Yup - I am hapy to be your wingman on Version 2, but I think we should plan it as not finding a way through, but finding a route suitable for a social ride mixed pack.

Strange, I have been eyeballing the track in Google Earth and you see all sorts of ways round the obstacles that flumoxed us on the ground.

Next time I will print a number of sheets from GE to eyeball along the way.

Things look different out there. 

The "adrenaline poisoning" made me sleep well last night.

Never been so paralysed with fear as I was on that on bit with the slope just before Li got physical with the blackjacks.   :o Pleased I eventiually killed the Sh1t-Demons, but not again in a hurry please.  ::)

shark_za

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:17:51 am »
A TTR-250 would be the perfect bike for mapping new routes.
I want one for the area north of the Rock.

Offline RedWolf

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 02:48:29 pm »
GG and Malgat you make it sound if it was the most difficult route you have ever done. It was a walk in the park. I would give it 2.5 out of 5, maybe 3 out of 5. Are you two getting old and that's why you are complaining..?  :P  >:D

Thanks for the planning GG, it was nice riding with you. The worst thing for me was the riding in Malgat's dust for about 40km, that was crap. But thanks for leading that section Malgat, otherwise I would still be somewhere in the Brits area. O, the african twin sounds very nice with that pipe.

Jules and Li, it was nice meeting you. Sorry for your tumble Li, luckily you didn't get hurt. Next time when we are riding there again, you'll get it right  ;). Jules, you have very good skills around the fast "loose" corners.

Malibu and Dakota it was nice meeting you also, would like to do a ride with you someday.
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline malgat (RIP)

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 02:56:36 pm »
watchit boet,,,,we're not old,,,we are recycled hippie teenagers

but like i said,,,,,with your bike it was much easier,,,

im dik enough and now i must still cart a "white whale AT" around

im defnitely getting myself an enduro,,,,im gonna kick plottie's backside big time

maybe sharks as well,,,but then again a man can dream anything if he so pleases..
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 03:03:12 pm »
watchit boet,,,,we're not old,,,we are recycled hippie teenagers

but like i said,,,,,with your bike it was much easier,,,

im dik enough and now i must still cart a "white whale AT" around

im defnitely getting myself an enduro,,,,im gonna kick plottie's backside big time

maybe sharks as well,,,but then again a man can dream anything if he so pleases..

Jammer oom  ::)
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 03:11:03 pm »
SW... Hahahhahaaaaaaa - hope your medical aid is up to date!   :imaposer:

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 03:35:37 pm »

Are you two getting old and that's why you are complaining..? 

Have you no respect for the aged ?

I am not complaining - I am just owning up to a few times when I was sh1tting m'self, and they were:-
1. That narrow sloping shelf on the edge we had to ride along.
2. That coarse ballast stuff - didn't like them stones them stones them BIG stones much.
3. That trench I jammed on anchors for when I could not change course
4. Bits where is was so overgrown you just had to hope there was no big rock lurking in the grass.

Apart from those bits, yes you are right, not too bad - even for an old man on a KLE, and a bit of adrenalin is like drain-cleaner in an old man's plumbing  ;D

Offline malgat (RIP)

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 03:41:14 pm »
talking about plumbing,,,,i found some chillie this morning
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 03:44:51 pm »
talking about plumbing,,,,i found some chillie this morning

And the plumbing the adrenalin does not unblock, the Chinese massage parlor will - or so I hear.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 03:49:10 pm »
 :imaposer:

Malgat, how much of that Chilli did you eat?

Offline malgat (RIP)

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 03:51:42 pm »
:imaposer:

Malgat, how much of that Chilli did you eat?

all of it,,,minus one teaspoon for jules

second time round it is a scorcher,,,,

ok,,,lets get of this subject,,,im outa here
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline Jules

• Living with "LevenNinetyItis" and Loving it
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 04:23:56 pm »
Yip was a fun day out!

Some Interesting routes out there.

As always it was great to ride with old friends and make new ones.

Silverwolf that XR is awesome Thanks for the spin!

Jules
690R Lost but not forgotten
1190R

Offline RedWolf

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 05:42:23 pm »

Are you two getting old and that's why you are complaining..? 

Have you no respect for the aged ?

I am not complaining - I am just owning up to a few times when I was sh1tting m'self, and they were:-
1. That narrow sloping shelf on the edge we had to ride along.
2. That coarse ballast stuff - didn't like them stones them stones them BIG stones much.
3. That trench I jammed on anchors for when I could not change course
4. Bits where is was so overgrown you just had to hope there was no big rock lurking in the grass.

Apart from those bits, yes you are right, not too bad - even for an old man on a KLE, and a bit of adrenalin is like drain-cleaner in an old man's plumbing  ;D

I have alot of respect for the old, it is just that they are complaining the whole time... :bueller: But you are right, there was some technical area's that could have been scary... ;)

I am just joking a bit with the "ou omies", I wish I will still be a passionate biker with your skills when I reach your age. Not that either of you are actually old... :ricky: