ATTAQUASKLOOF OX WAGON TRAIL BEATEN BUT NOT CONQUERED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat b

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
DSCF4222.jpg

I have had a love for Bonnidale Holiday Farm and the Attaquas Kloof ever since I worked there many years ago. I used to help out on the farm in my holidays guiding German tourists in the mountains on horse back , riding my 4x4 there , and I even hiked the very streneous circle route that starts and ends at the Robinson Pass and takes you to the limit of your fitness!{ They have subsequently made the hike from 2 days to 3 days }Much better !

Me on my trusty steed Desmond who is a legend in the area and although in his late twentys he is still ridden regularly on the farm.
BBP.jpg

Notice the lack of my boep and man boobs !!! :imaposer:

I have always wanted to ride the ox wagon trail on a motorcycle ,but it was one of those things I never got around to.This all changed when I read Trail-Riders RR on his blog and my enthusiasm returned! Only problem was I didn't have a suitable bike , that terrain is in my opinion not really suitable for a big DS bike but I decided to do it anyway ! I assembled my motly crew of riding buddies Grootvoet , Pieta , and Tagsy on 3 Africa twins and a KTM990 adv and we decided to do it ! Only thing is , as usual my meticilous planning went to shit when I got flu and could not go with ! So they did it alone and man did they have fun !!! But they all said that it was very tough going for the big bikes ! Pieta had the most spectacular crash I have ever seen , Tagsy went into shock after nearly falling off a mountain, Grootvoet fell in the river,and the heat made it even worse!

In the light of all their rantings and Tagsy telling me to stay well away and that I'll never make it I just had to go !
Some history first .

HISTORY OF  THE ATTAQUASKLOOF  OX  WAGON  PASS
The Attaquaskloof pass was the “N1” for ox wagons traveling North and East and was used by thousands of ox wagons from 1689 until 1869.  The first ox wagon to use this route was an expedition of 21 men and 2 wagons sent out by Simon van der Stel, under the leadership of ensign Isaac Schrijver in January 1689.  Gouriqua Khoi Khoi pointed out the old elephant route to them.  It took Schrijver 7 days to cross over the Attaquas mountains from the farm Hagelkraal on the Southern Side to Saffraansrivier on the Northern side.  A list of travelers passing through the Attaquas pass is a who’s who of celebrated early explorers and boasts names such as Thunberg (1772 – 1773), Sparrman (1775-1776), Swellengreber (1776), Van Plettenberg (1778), Patterson (1777-1779), Gordon (1786) and Van Reenen (1790).  In the early 1800’s came Barrow and a host of other travelers.  In 1842, the official toll of wagons passing through the Attaquas was 4280 that year alone.  It became known as “the gateway to the Karoo and Eastern Cape”.  Although other passes into the little Karoo were established before the end of the 18th century, eg. The Plattekloof pass and the Duiwelskop pass. They did not pose a serious threat to the Attaquas pass.  The establishment of George in the early 19th century and the Cradock (1812) and Montagu (1847) passes brought about the beginning of the end of the Attaquas pass, but finally the Ruiterbosch pass (1869) now known as the Robinson pass, provided a new and shorter route between Oudtshoorn and Mossel Bay, and this finally ended the 180 year reign of what must be one of the most attractive passes over either the Langeberg or the Outeniqua mountains.  In the late 1800’s Thomas Bain surveyed a railway line from Albertinia through the Gouritz gorge and over the Attaquas pass but this was never constructed due to the outbreak of the Anglo Boer War.  During the Anglo Boer War the Mossel Bay town guard built a series of block houses along the Outeniqua mountains to prevent the Boers from reaching the coastal towns.  One of this well-preserved block houses is situated near the top of the Attaquas pass overlooking that part of the old wagon road leading to Oudtshoorn.
For todays traveler, the Attaquas pass, which has been declared a national monument, offers spectacular scenery, pristine fynbos, natural rock pools, relics of block houses, an old hotel and toll houses, remains of ox wagons alongside the road and outspans with aloe kraals to hold the oxen.

Who wouldn't want to ride a trail like this ?
So here goes !
I assembled my crew once again sans Tagsy who has moved to Limpopo and replaced him with Pyp who's wife had grown up in this area.
The two of us decided to leave for Bonnidale Holiday farm on saturday afternoon stay over in a chalet and watch the rugby there , I was in no mood to have to get up at sparrows fart with one of my big babalases and still ride the 60 km to Bonnidale.
It really is a lovely scenic ride to Bonnidale.
DSC04707.jpg

DSC04708.jpg

DSC04711.jpg

DSC04712.jpg

DSCF4147.jpg

DSCF4148.jpg

The road winds through valleys ,over mountains and through pine plantations and there is a beautiful vista around every corner.
DSCF4149.jpg

We stopped near a forrestry station for a smoke break,these guys are really lucky to have this scenery around them to gase at every day!
DSCF4156.jpg

DSCF4158.jpg

DSCF4159.jpg

DSCF4160.jpg

DSCF4221.jpg

we eventually arrived at Bonniale and the weather was closing in !
DSC04716.jpg

DSC04715.jpg

We met up with the owners of Bonnidale, Nico and Danette Hesterman who are very dear old old friends of mine, these are real salt of the earth people who go out of their way to make you feel welcome ! Do yourself a favour ,go camp there in one of their permanent tents or in their chalets , I am sure you will return again and again !!The 4x4 routes on the farm are also rated in the top 10 in south Africa !
The chalets
DSC04714.jpg

DSCF4169.jpg

DSCF4170-1.jpg

DSCF4173.jpg

I packed a fire for when the rugby was finished .
DSCF4168.jpg

Pyp enjoying the game , and what a game it was... my bottle of Bells was evaporating fast !
DSC04717.jpg

The fruits of my labour!
DSC04722.jpg

DSCF4175.jpg

After a good nights sleep Grootvoet and Pieta arrived and the REAL RIDING could begin.
In the river at the beggining of the ox wagon trail.
PICT1985.jpg

After riding down the river the road makes a sharp turn right , then a nice little patch of sand , and then THIS!
DSCF4186.jpg

DSCF4187.jpg

DSC04729-1.jpg

We assembled at the bottom and discussed lines, actually lines are useless because you go ramping over the rocks and your wheel goes it's own way! The big secret here is just to give it the BERRIES ! Momentum will get you up !
Groot Voet
DSC04733.jpg

Pieta
DSC04730.jpg

PYP
DSC04734.jpg

ME
DSC04738.jpg

I was on my arse one meter later !!! Ha ha !!
This is the scene where poor Pieta fell all the way from the top to the bottom , and where Tagsy managed to make it look easy!"give the devil his due"The first time they came out.
This was the easy part of that hill!
DSC04741.jpg

Once on top it was a pleasant ride with some great views and some nice descents and ascents, till the nature reserve.
DSCF4200.jpg

DSCF4198.jpg

Now for some more challenging riding ! Momentum is the key !
DSCF4195.jpg

DSCF4196.jpg

If you lose momentum then you fall down , when I fell I rolled + - 20 meters down the side of the hill ! Broken brake lever and I really stuffed my ribs up as well !
DSC04743.jpg

DSC04742.jpg

Not only the uphills are interresting , this down hill had me eating fynbos as well !!
DSCF4201.jpg

DSCF4202.jpg

I eventually made it to the overnite hut for some well deserved rest!
DSCF4203.jpg

DSCF4205.jpg

DSCF4208.jpg

On the road again...
DSCF4210.jpg

DSCF4211.jpg

A nice slimy slippery surprise! Luckily no one fell over here!
DSCF4209.jpg

Well preserved English fort.
DSCF4218.jpg

PICT1994.jpg

PICT1995.jpg

DSCF4221.jpg

DSCF4216.jpg

End of the pass and the beginning of the marbles!
DSCF4222.jpg

DSCF4224.jpg

Ofcourse I fell off again and lost my screen !
PICT1991.jpg

DSCF4223.jpg

This trail was great , it has all the elements needed for adventure riding , it is a real pleasure to be able to do these things with good friends and as I sit here with my sore ribs I look back fondly at another challenge overcome ! But remember Attequas can bite back! Just ask me !