Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Are You SURE you want to keep your BMW 800GS?????  (Read 5774 times)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Re: Are You SURE you want to keep your BMW 800GS?????
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2009, 09:05:51 pm »
okay it's late and the whiskey is talking, so the moral of the story is 90% of 800 riders can't ride bike and that is why Blazes set them up for fall every time he heads to Swartwater or Vlakwater or Rinderpeswater or where ever he rides?

Or not, is it more complicated?

:biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:06:44 pm by michnus »

Offline popipants

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2009, 09:06:08 pm »

Can we please hear from some-one who has sold his 800 and why!!!

+1

It seems that all the 800 riders are out riding..not sitting in from of their pc's  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline DeonDj

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Bethlehem
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2009, 09:09:58 pm »
Arrest my case, ja Cappie ek het die pad tyres gesien. Is the question sand here? Give me a Vuka/Ktm/BSA/Harley/Pasola with Ds tyres and I would ride it in sand,it is a question of ability/agility and how much you do sand riding and then it is no mean feat.
The bike is just a blank page, the rider is the writer, the road is the ink....

Offline Smithey

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Njam Njam Njam
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2009, 09:20:10 pm »
Well i have come to a serious conclusion regarding the BMW 800GS. IF you Plan to KEEP it--That's your choice--stay to the bitumen. BUT if you decide to Sell OR you are NOT sure if you want to. I have the remedy for you :mwink: Join me on a Trip to the Waterberg and by the end of the ride ----BMW 800 GS--For Sale Guaranteed ::)
Just seems that every 800 GS that has been with me to the Waterberg has been sold after that---NO Exceptions so far.

So if you want to keep your 800 do Not--I repeat --Do Not join me for a trip to the Waterberg :pot:

Fantastic marketing  :thumleft:

Offline fixit

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2009, 09:35:50 pm »
Just so everyone knows which bike were're on about............ ok, back to my hole :biggrin:
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline Smithey

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Njam Njam Njam
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2009, 09:36:02 pm »
Blazes, you only ride with noobs and gurls,,, so the 800 would look inferior  :deal:

Offline Smithey

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Njam Njam Njam
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2009, 09:43:17 pm »
En daar gaan die fret vir n bol kak

Wat laat jou so dink?

Ek het dit al met die eerste post gesien :)

Strue - dit lyk soos kak, ruik soos kak, so wat anders kan dit wees - lewensgevaarlike kak?

Pasop net vir die ouens wat langs die pad in die bosse wegkruip.... binne kort is jy kniediep in die kak..

Only happens when your KLR falls over  :imaposer:

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2009, 09:44:35 pm »
hey leave the KLR's out of this  :biggrin:

Offline Smithey

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Njam Njam Njam
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2009, 10:09:40 pm »
The 800 is a gurls bike though, seriously.... its just too puuuurrrrttyyy.... not as puuuuurrrrty as the new Tenere....

But everyone to there own and there riding styles, the bike will fit the rider  :peepwall:

Offline Ball and Chain

• Formerly Die Hoof Ouderling. Now back to his old self
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Honda xpress
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2009, 10:20:32 pm »
My opinie van die thread,  as ek vir " The Bobnob" mag aanhaal!

Honda Xpress

Offline PeterO

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Ultimate Pickup Line
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2009, 10:56:07 pm »
Weird post this.  I don't own one but I've ridden one offroad including in thick sand.  Felt fine to me.  Certainly not dangerous! 

My only criticism has been the R kkkk that has to be paid for bash plates and handlebar guards etc before it's ready for offroad, and the suspect radiator hose that tends to pop off.

After spending the money on getting the bike up to South African spec (offroad) as opposed to German spec (off Autobahn), I personally wouldn't get rid of it, at least not because it's dangerous or doesn't ride well offroad.

Most of the time with offroad riding, the bike isn't the problem anyway, whatever the make.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2009, 08:11:19 am »
Blazes, you only ride with noobs and gurls,,, so the 800 would look inferior  :deal:
Actually Smithey i ride with a lot of Hard Core Non Forum Mmebers ive ridden with for the past 30 years.
Never post those rides as they are not Forum related and we are just having fun and no need to take pics. The only ones you see is of the noobs and girls.
Hell and i must say that many of the girls on this Forum as well as the others i belong to will kick many a guy on this forums Arse.
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2009, 08:13:05 am »
Actually Smithey i ride with a lot of Hard Core Non Forum Mmebers ive ridden with for the past 30 years.
Never post those rides as they are not Forum related and we are just having fun and no need to take pics. The only ones you see is of the noobs and girls.
Hell and i must say that many of the girls on this Forum as well as the others i belong to will kick many a guy on this forums Arse.

And at least one of them (not mentioning any names, Panga) will do it on an 800 as well.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2009, 08:17:59 am »
I notice my name being bandied about, so I'll slam in my 6c worth...

Bit of history for your guys:
I rode my first bike at 12 and have been on and off bikes since... always plastics, and I've eaten dirt plenty.  I certainly would not clasify myself as any sort of "wonder" rider, but I hold my own with the boys!  I started riding bigger bikes on dirt May last year, on the 800.  And I've done some amazing trips, through some pretty heavy conditions and have not slammed her down!  I can't say I love deep sand, probably only because I don't get to ride it often.

I made the fatal mistake of doing the ride down to the Coast from Pretoria on the Dakkie, and I have to say I had more fun than I've had in ages.  I was not concerned about anything, and basically just launched the bike at everything, something I did not have the confidence to do on the 800.  The following weekends I used my re-buildt KLR for some fun stuff around here, and again, the bike was fun to ride.   

So, my decision is based on 2 things, I realized I have way more fun on smaller bikes, and either my skills are up to maggots on the bigger bike in deep sand or the bike is no great lover of it... and I will be doing a lot more of that type of riding in the future.

so.... there you have it! 
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2009, 08:30:48 am »

I rode my first bike at 12 and have been on and off bikes since... always plastics, and I've eaten dirt plenty.  I certainly would not clasify myself as any sort of "wonder" rider, but I hold my own with the boys!  I started riding bigger bikes on dirt May last year, on the 800.  And I've done some amazing trips, through some pretty heavy conditions and have not slammed her down!  I can't say I love deep sand, probably only because I don't get to ride it often.

I made the fatal mistake of doing the ride down to the Coast from Pretoria on the Dakkie, and I have to say I had more fun than I've had in ages.  I was not concerned about anything, and basically just launched the bike at everything, something I did not have the confidence to do on the 800.  The following weekends I used my re-buildt KLR for some fun stuff around here, and again, the bike was fun to ride.   

So, my decision is based on 2 things, I realized I have way more fun on smaller bikes, and either my skills are up to maggots on the bigger bike in deep sand or the bike is no great lover of it... and I will be doing a lot more of that type of riding in the future.

Your skills are just fine sweety :thumleft: One has to feel confident on a bike and That makes the difference as far as i am concerned.
Now let me go and stir with the KTM's or maybe the HP2's or evn the XR's. I am NOT brand loyal as i also ride a BMW :peepwall:
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2009, 08:36:27 am »
My opinie van die thread,  as ek vir " The Bobnob" mag aanhaal!

Eish whats up with the Capies ??? Showing zap signs and wearing Knee Guards on the outside of their brooks ::) Or are they used when they are grovelling at home on their knees to go on a ride :dousing:
Current Scooters --

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2009, 08:43:13 am »

Admit it, you just think the KLR is a better bike, and does not fall over in sand so easy, kom nou M?  :biggrin:

Eish whats up with the Capies Huh? Showing zap signs and wearing Knee Guards on the outside of their brooks Roll Eyes Or are they used when they are grovelling at home on their knees to go on a ri

They don't pose they ride.  :biggrin:  Except for the zap signs that's a lekker pose.  :thumleft: :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:44:26 am by michnus »

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2009, 08:44:26 am »
Let me as a Honda rider gives you my opinion .................................. you can have the best bike on the market and if you cannot put it through it's paces what it's made for, you cannot blame the bike. Then also ......................... if you are the best rider and you cannot do 160 km/h on the dirt with a Vuka, you also cannot blame the bike. Every rider and each bike has it's own capabilities and you cannot put the blame on the bike or rider if he cannot do something above of what he is capable of.

And something I pick up ....................... many times a rookie blames a very capable bike as k@rk and then when you see him riding it, you can see why the "bike" is k@rk.

Maybe the real 800 guys who quit riding their 800 can give us the reason why he did so  :thumleft:

Ai jai jai .................... my Vara is k@rk because I cannot do trials with it  :ricky:

Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2009, 08:45:50 am »
Let me as a Honda rider gives you my opinion .................................. you can have the best bike on the market and if you cannot put it through it's paces what it's made for, you cannot blame the bike. Then also ......................... if you are the best rider and you cannot do 160 km/h on the dirt with a Vuka, you also cannot blame the bike. Every rider and each bike has it's own capabilities and you cannot put the blame on the bike or rider if he cannot do something above of what he is capable of.

And something I pick up ....................... many times a rookie blames a very capable bike as k@rk and then when you see him riding it, you can see why the "bike" is k@rk.

Maybe the real 800 guys who quit riding their 800 can give us the reason why he did so  :thumleft:

Ai jai jai .................... my Vara is k@rk because I cannot do trials with it  :ricky:

oom- F for president.  :headbang:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:46:20 am by michnus »

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2009, 08:49:30 am »
Mr. Blazes really knows how to :pot: :thumleft: give em the spoon!