Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 'Lite'?  (Read 918 times)

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Dakar 'Lite'?
« on: August 30, 2009, 10:02:13 pm »
Rode in Atlantis Dunes on a course on Friday - HUGE fun!

Decided to take my center-stand off, as well as lower crash bars, and pannier 'mushrooms', saving weight and improving clearance (c-stand).

Question: if I wanted to further shave weight off of a Dakkie, long term, where would the best place to start?
Exhaust - lose the cat+cat-pipe - any idea on weight savings there?
other areas to think about? Ideally low-cost solutions ;D
Thinking about losing bar end weights, and replacing with BarkBusters. Rode 1000km at speed recently, with ONE bar-end weight, no head-shake up to 150, so feel that the risk of tank-slap is negligible?

Realised that since I bought the Dakar, i have added:
2 long-handled tire-levers, cable-tied to the frame
pannier racks and pannier 'mushrooms'
above-mentioned center-stand
upper crash bars
lower crash bars
beefed-up tool kit (that's a non-negotiable)
other bits and bobs, and the weight is going up - would like to cut back, if possible?

thanks, Dogs

Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
Re: Dakar 'Lite'?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 10:20:09 pm »
U wont get much lower then the stock weight.

Forget about the weight, it will never be the mx bike you want it to be... Learn to ride it properly, atlantis will be no trouble at all.

Dont compromise on the centre stand... could prove to be usefull should your battery run flat in the sand.

Offline Black Thunder

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 10:27:14 pm »
Best weight saving is the exhaust! At least decat it but best go for something aftermarket. What Tires you using? Probably benefit you more than less weight. And of course low tire pressure! I had a Bmw 650 and also thought about how to get the weight off her, but everything is necessary! Best option is to get lighter exhaust, good tires... air down and give lots of gas! Ive ridden my Ktm 950 adv in Atlantis lots of times just gotta get use to what your bike does in certain situations.  :ricky:  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:29:05 pm by Black Thunder »

Offline Marnus

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Yeeeeehaaaa!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 10:38:13 pm »
You can always go on a DIET!!!  The higher the weight, the less desirable it is.  >:D

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 11:05:11 pm »
not worth the effort if you ask me

say you can chop off 20kg - which is a lot - 20kg is so much it would almost be impossible - and then the dakar would still be big and fat compared to say a 400 or a some other play bike

Offline lecap

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 07:22:55 am »
Question: if I wanted to further shave weight off of a Dakkie, long term, where would the best place to start?

The nearest Suzuki dealer. Get a DR650SE. Instant weight saving 40kg. Or even a DRZ but it might be a bit too radical if you're used to a Dakar's creature comforts.

From there to the gym as Marnus suggests.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline BennNevis

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 02:45:58 pm »

The nearest Suzuki dealer. Get a DR650SE. Instant weight saving 40kg. Or even a DRZ but it might be a bit too radical if you're used to a Dakar's creature comforts.

From there to the gym as Marnus suggests.

But then you'll own a Suzuki, no?

Online Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:32:44 pm »
added bonus!
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 04:39:38 pm »
I owned a Dakar for a while. It's an awesome all round bike, but it's weight and lethargic throttle count against it in the rougher stuff. If I ever bought another Dakar, I would make (amongst others) the following modifications:

- aftermarket pipe. less weight (1 vs 2) as well as more responsiveness
- unifilter foam air filter

you can't really do anything else to bring the weight down, but the more responsive throttle should help handling.

alternatively, the KTM 640 is a good alternative, as is the XChallenge  :thumleft:

Offline Buller

• "Do not go North of the Tugela"
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 04:54:40 pm »
If you want to keep the badge, then the X-Challenge is your only solution.

Offline Dakarboy

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 05:35:13 pm »
Would say, fitting a scortch exhaust with dumy cannister on the RHS of the dakkie make any difference to the weight compared to the standard exhaust?? And would fitting an aftermarket filter REALLY have any effect?
What matters most to me would be the lekker sound >:D ----What pipe (reasonably cheap of course) sounds lekker on the dakkie (Scortch?)

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:21:04 pm »
to answer your questions

1. fitting any aftermarket pipe will make a weight difference since you will lose the heavy catalytic converter. fitting a dummy pipe would be counter-productive to the weight loss. in both instances the weight loss is marginal, but i guess every bit counts
2. the air filter and the pipe help the bike "breath" better. you will notice it - the throttle will seem less lazy.
3. any pipe sounds great on the Dakar over the standard pipe, but i would recommend 1. Leo Vince 2. van der linde, 3. Scorch. Those also happen to be in order of price (most expensive to cheapest)

you can really only shave off so much weight on a dakar. you want anything lighter and you should be looking at a different bike

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:22:11 pm by the_wes »

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
Re: Dakar 'Lite'? Dakar 'Plus'! Any other 'tricks'?
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 10:01:01 pm »
thanks all, lots of stuff to think about.

Am saving for an GS 800, but it is a far-off goal, so my thinking was to see if I could lighten and/or improve performance of the Dakkie.

I see making it lighter will NOT be easy, so may look more to upping the performance (read: throttle-response) for a livelier ride!

Ideas:
cut the air intake 'snorkel' to allow better breathing (seen that somewhere before)?
better air filter, again for better breathing?
a single-sided performance exhaust will shed weight AND improve performance.
ANY OTHER 'TRICKS'???

I have/am working hard on the skills side of things (done Into, 3 day intermediate, Wild Coast Extreme, Sand riding course), but would like to pep up my ride. Oh, and my own weight is not bad...! 89 light kilo's!!! ;)

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 10:15:09 pm »
Zebra, I don't know if this will help, most of it's unrelated, but my ultimate Dakar "bling" list before I sold it (didn't get anywhere close to doing all of this) looked like this:

- aftermarket single-sided pipe
- unifilter
- excel rims (std rims don't handle abuse well)
- pro-taper bars with risers (std bars don't handle abuse well, and you can get some wicked handling with the right bars and raisers. this is something i did get the chance to do, but you need to pick the bend carefully and make sure you get raisers, all to help instrument clearance)
- lose the bar end weights and get better hand guards
- lose the front mudguard and put a generic one on (if that stock mudguard breaks it's big moola)
- chuck the "cup" mudguard at the back. even better, chuck the chain guard in favour of a super light alu one
- progressive fork springs in the front for better handling

it's pretty much a combo of performance, handling, a teeny tiny bit of weight saving, and bling.

either way I'd lose the crashbars. I abused my Dakar and she did fine without crashbars, it's just extra weight. re: the snorkel mod, research it carefully. those sort of mods are not always the best idea, as you could overload your filter with dust and stuff in some instances.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:16:16 pm by the_wes »

Offline Ginger Bread Man

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 07:15:15 am »
zebra,

dont do the snorkel...i researched it and the first badddd idea is the "water factor" it is positioned in such a way that if you cut it down you possibly opening up a world of troubles, do the pipe:) i got a powerflow not sure on extra power.... but grinn factor did improve 

i did some playing around with the snorkel and taking it off only makes a slightly louder sound when accelerating hard and thats it, no power no nothing, not even a grinn

my 2c

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 03:31:19 pm »
Ok, guys, so I will not cut down the snorkel - will fit a new K&N-type filter, which may breathe better.

And will likely lose the crahsbars - upper and lowers.
and will investigate the de-catting option, or, more likely, taking off existing exhaust and replacing with a single sided exhaust.

I need someone to explain progressive fork spring to me? Wes?
Cheers

S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Black Thunder

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 03:41:41 pm »
Some more good info @ http://www.f650.com/

I had a scorch pipe on my bmw 650 and loved it! Also have twin scorch pipes on my ktm 950 great value for money.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 03:52:31 pm »
Ok, guys, so I will not cut down the snorkel - will fit a new K&N-type filter, which may breathe better.

And will likely lose the crahsbars - upper and lowers.
and will investigate the de-catting option, or, more likely, taking off existing exhaust and replacing with a single sided exhaust.

I need someone to explain progressive fork spring to me? Wes?
Cheers

progressive springs (and new fork oil) on the front shocks of the Dakar is going to give you better handling upfront - basically it's going to make your front suspension more hardcore. not that I think the Dakar's front shocks suck - far from it - but it was on my "dream bling" list  :ricky:

rather than K&N, have a look at the Unifilter foam filters... can get them from touratech

Offline Gulp

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 04:10:51 pm »
How much for your Centre stand? :D   :thumleft:
Planning on living forever! So far so good!