Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yet another another Canal Road ride - 20091018  (Read 2436 times)

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
Yet another another Canal Road ride - 20091018
« on: October 18, 2009, 04:17:17 pm »
Janneman asked me to get a thread going for the people to post some pics – happy to help, and thanks for starting something that became yet another Canal ride.  

Malgat once said he never gets tired of the Canal roads as they are always different with different people, and different bikes, and today was special to me as there were a few riders who had never been along one of Gauteng Dog’s favorite piece of gravel.

Last nights rains made the road perfect today – Just enough rain to settle the dust, but no mud-monsters. In fact it seemed to me that the guys were aiming at the puddles up front !  

Also what was interesting about today’s ride was that we had ten bikes, and no two were the same – I don’t think this has happened to me before.

To me there were three bikes that really made riding along at the back fun.

The first was MadMike’s R80GS (I think that’s the model, please correct me) This superbly restored bike dates back to the early eighties, but with MadMike on it today it behaved like a hyperactive teenager – powersliding around every corner and blasting through every mud-puddle. That bike had serious fun. Impressive.

The second was the 950 SE that left one long snake-groove all the way from Harties to Beestekraal. If that bike can go straight and slow I never saw it today.  

And last but not least it was nice for me to see a T660Z actually moving – sheet but that is a sexy looking bike – and is certainly no slouch. It was hard for me to see which of the XT660Z or the old R80 was having the most fun.

So for the statisticians:-

Beemer: R80GS, 650CGS, 1150 & 1200, KTM:  950SE, Yammie: XT660Z (yup, I want one of those!)  Honda AT & TA, Kawa: KLR & KLE.

Thanks all – after today I just wanna get out there and ride.

A couple of pics.  <<<<< Gone ? Missing in the Photo Bucket bucket? >>>>

Sorry about the quality of the action shots – had the camera ISO set all wrong. Must RTFM (Read The Flippin Manual)

Dam looked good early in the morning after a wet night.

Some badly blurred puddle-crossings

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:10:10 am by GundaGunda »
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline madmike999

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • www.studio88.co.za info@studio88.co.za
Re: Yet another another Canal Road ride - 20091018
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:18:08 pm »
sorry i left early, was running late 
nice to meet you guys lots of fun
'82 R100 RS,  '98 Africa Twin,  Vespa 180 Rally

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
Yet
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:38:01 pm »
Yet..yet..ja nee..yet anuthes seat and wonderful day out on the canal roads..riding with old buddies as wel newbies..great to see different..caps of to the r100 gs and what a thril to see a tenere in my backyard..the roads were perfect and no dust..i enjoyed leading with the tenere and ktw looking up my xhaurt pipe al the time pulling wheelies and speedway power slides..you guys rode wel today..no mishaps or breakdowns or punctures....lekker dudes and dudette.. Good workout which makes the drinks and bfast at beestekraal so much more appetising..thats with the gg cuppacione stop at bluegum ave ..then anothes sprint to zandberg for miss hotpants whom we misred 2day..after the last river crossing we bob and weave on the bends noticing transalp corner and then past the game farms..then babk down a fast sprint to beestekraal..after al that riding yore skills are better and u become one with yvor bike we get to my latetest piece d resistance..not for the everbody..we then raceback without stops and go flatov while the others take the tar..and yes we ciipped another 10 minutes oe the backsprint doing it in 80 minutes which can be easily broken by the next time..thanks dawgs for making it another great day..yet again
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Yet
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:42:12 pm »
Yet..yet..ja nee..yet anuthes seat and wonderful day out on the canal roads..riding with old buddies as wel newbies..great to see different..caps of to the r100 gs and what a thril to see a tenere in my backyard..the roads were perfect and no dust..i enjoyed leading with the tenere and ktw looking up my xhaurt pipe al the time pulling wheelies and speedway power slides..you guys rode wel today..no mishaps or breakdowns or punctures....lekker dudes and dudette.. Good workout which makes the drinks and bfast at beestekraal so much more appetising..thats with the gg cuppacione stop at bluegum ave ..then anothes sprint to zandberg for miss hotpants whom we misred 2day..after the last river crossing we bob and weave on the bends noticing transalp corner and then past the game farms..then babk down a fast sprint to beestekraal..after al that riding yore skills are better and u become one with yvor bike we get to my latetest piece d resistance..not for the everbody..we then raceback without stops and go flatov while the others take the tar..and yes we ciipped another 10 minutes oe the backsprint doing it in 80 minutes which can be easily broken by the next time..thanks dawgs for making it another great day..yet again

Nah, no issue with times, your next bike just cruises ::)
Behind every great man, is a woman rolling her eyes.

Offline Janneman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Dankbaar
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:02:08 pm »
Will post some more pics later guys!!, Thanks Gunda for starting the ride report will follow it up and complete as soon as I can :thumleft: Thanks for all the fun!!!!!!!!!!  :thumleft:  :ricky:
Lifes a journey, so ry die kak uit hom uit!

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 08:12:15 pm »
Thanks for the ride - it was a blast. Road was in perfect condition, with no mud, no sand and no dust.
Was a really good day out.

Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 08:21:00 pm »
Very nice!!!

Those roads are awesome after some rain, just a blast!!!

:ricky: :ricky:

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 08:31:24 pm »
Just want to add this pic of the Beemer.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline TravelGravel

• The Mud Ninja
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 08:57:07 pm »
+ 1000 for the comments above. It was a beautiful summers day and the riding was GR8!

Thanks to Sean for getting me there and Zerc for getting me back home.  :thumleft:

BTW Gunda... it is a 650 GS, I believe the CS is subtly different.  :imaposer:

Of course I don't look busy .... I did it right the first time.

I would rather grapple with the sands of the Sahara than the sands of contemporary society. (Theresa Wallach - The Rugged Road)

KTM 690 Enduro Yamaha TT-R 230

Offline Janneman

• Dankbaar
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 09:08:20 pm »
First of all I would like to start by thanking all of the guys who made the trip a very nice ride, which started out of a mere question became a ride!  :biggrin:, and I was reminded about it the whole day,  ;D

My day started out early, getting up at 5 to meet up with Catchy and then get to the meeting point, speculating the whole way there if we are stil going to get some rain today :o. Met up at the Total Near Akasie Golf Estate, Hope i still get invited for that Golf Day Catchy  :thumleft: dont forget now, hehehe, Please note the Bioplus bottle on the seat, trying to get sorted after the two semi finals the previous day and the party that followed.

The ride from Montana to the wimpy was also quite pleasant and enjoyable;

And Then the sun came out  :biggrin: :ricky:

Before meeting Gunda at the Wimpy to watch the MotoGP Catchy stopped and showed me where our ride for the day would start, me not having done it before, well i immediatelt knew it was going to be a great ride :ricky: :thumleft:

Then we were of to the wimpy, to wait for the other gents and Girl :thumleft:

After watching the MotoGP and waiting for everyone to get there, we were of on our epic journey, my first time doing the Canal Ride!!!!!!! :ricky:

Here Some randum pics of the first couple of sections, what a nice surface to pull that big heavy 1200 of mine along  :thumleft:

Now this next little sextion along the railway line just before entering Brits was very interesting, nice long straight and then out of nowhere the road ends in a 2m down hill jump almost, thanks for everyone in front warning the guys  :thumleft: hope someone took a pic there, or was everyone jus :thumleft: glad we dont go flying over there at 90  :o  :ricky:

Some nice twisties and great surfaces taken at speed by the one and only lady willing to join us today, thanks, was great having some of the fairer sex joining us :thumleft::

And then a surprised organised stopped from Gunda just after Brits, the only one who new about it was him. We were then surpised with some nice hot Capachino and a discussion while drinking it on how to establish a boiler for trips connected to some exhaust pipes  :imaposer: :imaposer: Let us know if someone firgures that one out  :mwink:

And then we were suprised by the arival of Malgat who obviously was flying to catch us so early  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Just another pic taken in the ride

A second stop for a smoke and a coke for me, cant remember the name of the tavern , the day starting to really heat up now

I think this was our first water crossing at the dam, correct me if im wrong:

The next couple of k's i werent able to take pics, my phones battery was almost gone, we eventually ended up at Beestekraal Stasie after some adventurous riding along the Railway line for about 3km's with some nasty round rocks suprising me from beneath the grass!!!
Some final pics from me

Thanks guys and girl for the fun ride!! hope theres alot more to come, tha canal ride was lekkaaaaaaaaa  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Please post some more pics i know some of the guys took alot more than me! Thanks again 100s

Offline madmike999

• www.studio88.co.za info@studio88.co.za
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 05:43:26 am »
thank you very much too all that were there and taking us (newbies) thru an awesome piece of country side. What a nice bunch of people !!!!!

I had tons of fun on my old donkie, just kind of wished there was a bit more mud, but still lots of fun.

I 'll will go and play down those tracks allot more, and like GG said in the first post, I also want to go ride again.
'82 R100 RS,  '98 Africa Twin,  Vespa 180 Rally

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 06:06:04 am »

BTW Gunda... it is a 650 GS, I believe the CS is subtly different.  :imaposer:

Dem Chermans get me deurmefused - Sorry ma'am - fixed  :thumleft:

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 07:29:37 am »
A little after 8-00 on Sunday saw 9 of us getting under way for a great day of riding the canal roads. Malgat was going to catch up with us a little later, as he had other things to take care of before leaving home.

Not too long after leaving the Wimpy, Gunda surprised us all with a coffee-stop

While we were standing around and waiting for Gunda's capuccino, we heard the familiar rumble of an Africa Twin bearingdown upon us... Malgat had arrived to join the party!

Coffee-break over, we headed out again for the rest of the adventure. After a while the sun was giving us a beating, and some cold refreshments were called for

With a fair distance still to go, we didn't sit around here too long; there were water-crossings waiting, and it seems as though fun was had by all

Janneman

Catchy

MadMike999

and someone whose name I don't remember... my apologies here, but this is one of the effects of old age...   :(

All in all, a good day's riding.

Thanks everybody for the lekker day, and here's looking forward to the next one   :thumleft:
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 08:17:53 am »
Please note the Bioplus bottle on the seat, trying to get sorted after the two semi finals the previous day and the party that followed.
Party? What B&^$%Y Party? 

Offline Catchy

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 09:32:33 am »
Unfortunately no pics’ from my side, I was too busy having fun! :mwink:  A special thanks to Janneman for joining up with me at the Sasol garage, (that must of been a good party you were at?)and the ride out to the dam ;), Gunda Gunda – what can I say , the legend continues. Thank you for the Cappuccino’s :thumleft:. Malgat and Sean the ride back was awesome. :3some:
This was my first opportunity after running the Tenre’ in to open her up a little and enjoy her full potential. The more I ride this bike the more I love it.
Thanks to everyone else that came along for the ride, it was a pleasure meeting you all.
Always keep your "kant" clean !

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 07:15:41 am »
Dunno what is up with Photo-Bucket - but this got published.

TravelGravel said the ride felt a bit faster than the last - yup - even at the back the sweeper speed was a bit faster than I remember.

Speedplot of the back of the pack.  Lots of point and squirt.

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
Yet
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 02:54:08 pm »
Just admit it..u guys are getting faster..or..maybe i stopped less..anyway i'm lis for a west canal run..??
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline Janneman

• Dankbaar
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 03:20:44 pm »
 :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

When were what time, hehehehehehe  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :thumleft:

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
Re: Yet
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 06:00:39 pm »
Just admit it..u guys are getting faster..or..maybe i stopped less..anyway i'm lis for a west canal run..??

Do the West canal on Sun and I'll meet u for lunch at Beestekraal on my way up to Thaba with the bike on the trailer.

Offline Janneman

• Dankbaar
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 07:02:09 pm »
damn im playing gold with the future in-laws this weekend, cant make it  :( >:(