Rider Log - Ficksburg Cherry Festival 2009 Clarens/Golden Gate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dIRE

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
GS1200 Route – JHB – Villiers – Frankfort – Reitz – Bethlehem – Clarens – Bokpoort – Golden Gate – Clarens –Fouriesburg - Ficksburg

I just recently purchased a GS1200 and have been itching to do a long ride, what a better time than now and a couple of us put a weekend trip together to coincide with the Ficksburg Cherry festival in the Eastern Freestate. We decided to stay at Bokpoort some 5km’s outside of Clarens which was also the meeting place for the recent 2009 BMW Eco ride. This venue caters for camping, backpackers dorms or chalets. They provide meals should you choose and have a pub so everything that we needed was there and its very affordable. (www.bokpoort.co.za)

The Friday that we left the weather was flippen hectic, leaving Jo-burg it was raining cats and dogs, the wind was blowing a blizzard, I was actually apprehensive but determined to make the trip happen regardless knowing that the extreme weather will notch me up some extreme riding experience. The wet weather gear was brilliant, 4 hours later when I took the rain system off I was bone dry, let me tell you that it PISSED down with rain en-route to Bokpoort and the wind had me riding on a angle that was scary. Each passing of a truck had me buffeted from left to right it was really a harrowing experience. Regardless I couldn’t recommend the BMW rain system any higher it was just brilliant.

Arriving at Bokpoort we were met by Christo Roos in his traditional ranch style leathers and spurs on his boots, he reminded me of the Ruiter in Swart from some of those early Afrikaans comics. 20 odd years in the area he is hardened and experienced to this rugged terrain. We were quickly shown our sleeping quarters which consisted of a bed with linen and a cupboard, this going for a R100-00 per night turned out to be the best option as the rain only bucketed down that night, I know this because we got way layed in the pub till the early hours of the morning and I had to get up twice to pee and could only make as far as 3 meters from the door. It was raining so hard any person with a sharp eye would not have been able to distinguish between my pee and the rain. I was NOT going to walk the 40 meters to be prim and proper and became one with the water.

Anyway the rain did subside, the morning light gave us a view of the Maluti Mountains hanging thick with clouds and mist, the rocks glistened with wetness when the sun touched them, the ground was really wet, this brought a smile to my face knowing fully well that this could prove to be a interesting day hunting down those illusive dirt roads that take you to those place that make memories.

A hearty Bokpoort Ranch breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast and of course baked beans had us cladded in our biker gear ready for our ride to Golden Gate. The tar road is about 2kms from Bokpoort and I have to admit the gravel road out of Bokpoort is really crap, not one that you can open up but rather one that has lots of rocks and ruts. With all the rain the road was now a mud bath, deactivating ABS we proceeded away finding myself twice at the mercy of mud wash, my front wheel going into a mud slip I could only wobble the steering countering the effect waiting for solid ground. Thankfully every muddy loss of control I encountered I managed to hold my line, it was REALLY muddy and slippery, the GS1200 tyres are not good with this type of environment and I could really see the benefit of the Adventures knobbly tyres here.

Back on the tar we proceeded towards Golden Gate, massive hills, thick with green grass and solid granite wave type formations towered to both our right and left. I slowed as we passed a river, crystal clear water with white foamy tips raced away from me, I was just in AWE it really was beautiful. We passed a camping site which I took note of for future reference and weaved up a side of a mountain, we were now really inside this National Park. A tarred scenic road was our turnoff and we found ourselves climbing up this massive hill the views were great. What a lekker road this was, great road condition took the size of one vehicle and it was tarred. A hairpin sign beckoned us and I found myself down to 1st gear as this was not only a hairpin but it turned into a steep gradient up into the hills. A light drizzle, green flowing hills, with a backdrop of the Maluti mountains I just could,nt stop saying WOW, I was at one of those places where the adventure experiences that we chase was being quenched, it was so satisfying.

We played around in the mountains for a couple of hours and decided to head for Clarens, a nice pot of hot tea was in order. What a lekker little town, you ride into the square the place is teaming with coffee shops, restaurants, its packed with tourists and from the streets restaurant patrons and sidewalk coffee customers watch you as you drive past them, for that moment its like your a celebrity as the people marvel you and your machine. The town buzzes with activity and every now and then a pack of GS1200’s ride in to enjoy their moment of bystander gazing. Of course when the Harley’s come into town, they are well rehearsed at revving their engines which is required to lure spectator value and course all the chuckles they receive for the strange attire that they do don.

Finishing a pot of red bush tea and a slice of lemon meringue we are kitted up for our next leg to Ficksburg, the road was great with long sweeping corners and scenic mountain backdrops, we couldn’t really open up our motors as the roads were wet and twice we road into heavy rain showers, we averaged 120km though and soon found ourselves at Ficksburg. The show grounds were PACKED, cars were parked everywhere, it was wet and muddy, we were very surprised at the turn out of people even when it’s raining. We eventually found a place to park and found ourselves in the show munching sweet juicy cherries, biltong and dry wors. Hundreds of bikers had made the trip and there was that moment where you walk the gauntlet of parked bikes looking at each owners pride and joy. Number plates denoting visitors from the Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Gauteng, Northwest everywhere actually.

Time to leave and the trip back saw our first rays of sunshine, parts of the road were drying and those long sweeping corners that I saw coming in were now dry. I was excited as my bike slowly sloped to the left as I took this massive perfectly cambered 1km curve to the left, pushing the accelerator my speed went up to 130kms angling through the corner bike and body closer to the tar I eventually straightened smile on the face, wow this is what riding is all about.

Back to Clarens for a bite to eat, its then decided that we investigate the town of Clarens, onto the mud roads I deactivate traction control and ABS, feeling more confident after only driving in the wet, I sped down a lonely muddy road on the side of a large hill, opening the accelerator periodically the back wheel spinning out, mud and water flying everywhere, wow this was fun. We eventually spat out at the top of Clarens by the Maluti Lodge to head back to Bokpoort.

Arriving at the Bokpoort dirt road we look at the sun and decide there is enough of it to head back to Golden Gate for more fun, back in the mountains we find small scenic routes and stop periodically to marvel at the beautiful views and just reflect for that moment.

Back at Bokpoort we were fed a hearty meal my eyes heavy and tired from a great day of riding I was sleeping at 9pm.

Following morning early we were kitted and ready for our journey home. We had plotted a different course back deciding to go through the Golden Gate National Park, then veering off on a dirt road to a town called Kestell. The road through Golden Gate and the pass we encountered was awesome, the same rolling green hills with backdrops of mountains, hairpin turns and your mind saying WOW was the order of the morning. We eventually found our dirt road and were met by some 4 x 4’s who had the same plan as us. Leaving them we bulldozed down our trail into nowhere land, muddy roads but in pretty good condition we managed speeds of 80kms. Riding over green hills and leaving the backdrop of the Maluti’s I enjoyed the feeling of being so isolated miles from anywhere, the high of adventure in my mind and bones I just road and enjoyed every moment. All of a sudden we reached a water rift with three large ponds of water, stopping our bikes we investigated silently knowing that going back is not a option and we need to get through. The only words that were said was ‘Well we need to do it’ and one by one we started our bikes and just did it, standing on my foot pegs like I had seen in magazines I held a constant throttle, the bike effortlessly ate through the three puddles that took my tyres more than halfway up and without any hassles we were all through. I stopped and looked back at the puddles, I thought I was high on adventure before but now I was tripping, I was just flippen loving this and did’nt want it to end.

Our dirt road ended and we filled our tanks up at this small town called Kestell, a elderly Afrikaans couple greeted us in their red Mercedes, all dressed up for church, the tops of the steeple I saw when slanting my head back towards the town centre, I smiled, looking at this moment reminded me of the old apartheid days.

The sun was out the skies were blue the roads were dry, opening the throttle for the first time we road through the freestate fields eating up the kilometres, before I knew it the outline of Jo-burg was in site and a sense of disappointment but excitement came over me. I wanted more, I did,nt want to stop I could ride another 300 km’s, wow what a trip I think I have found something that I really enjoy.

Me my GS1200 and the road!

Bokpoort – Golden Gate – Kestell – Reitz – Frankfort –Villiers – JHB