Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tunisia - Algeria - Morocco  (Read 1012 times)

Offline chalsam

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Tunisia - Algeria - Morocco
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:02:09 pm »
Mid-life crisis, selfish, irresponsible, dementia...these are just a few of the reactions I received from family and others when I tried to discuss my future plan regarding a bike trip.  For over 30 years my involvement with motorcycling has incorporated the national MX circuit, production bike racing, speedway, enduros and trials.  However, touring/adventure riding was never part of my agenda until a year ago after watching those two movie stars doing their thing ... round & down.  It was at this time that I got the GS and have done a few trips around SA (tar and dirt). 

Having spent many hours perusing the various ride reports on the forum, the fire within is being fueled, and the time has come to put ideas and thoughts into action.  I have the utmost respect for the many who have ventured across our Northern borders into Central Africa and beyond, but the "woesie" in me draws me away from wanting to tackle the hardships and dangers that have been experienced by others on these routes.  So ...

My idea is to fly (self & bike) to one of the above (see subject), and spend a few weeks riding through these three countries, and then flying home.   I've read quite a few reports on other forums pertaining to travelling through Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, and from what I've read, it sounds pretty awesome.

What I certainly don't want to do is plan to death.  Obviously it's important to have travel documents etc in order, but apart from these essentials, I would prefer to head out from the airport of entry (which ever country it is), and ride with no particular pre-planned destination.  I would rely on advice from locals, travel bureaux, other travellers etc.

Today I enquired about flights and am awaiting response from various agencies.  What I do know at this stage is that there are no direct flights from SA to North Africa, so connecting flights may prove to be a slight logistical barnicle.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think ... please don't agree with my family  ;D   Have any WD's been through these countries, or does anyone have advice re my plan?

Ad augusta per angusta

Offline croatia

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
Re: Tunisia - Algeria - Morocco
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 11:09:00 am »
hi from croatia we are planning a ride from croatia to tunisa in early january why dont join us i realise notice short have a spare bike you just pay reg and you can use it dates arent fixed give us shot tell me what you think merry christmas regards ivan

Offline chalsam

• Pack Dog
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:45:24 am »
Wow Ivan, what a generous offer ... thank you.  Unfortunately the first three months of the year are out for me at such short notice.

Wishing you and yours a joyous and safe festive season ... thanks again.

PS. Please keep us updated on your trip ... looking forward to a trip report.

Kenny.
Ad augusta per angusta

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 11:58:04 am »
Chalsam, I would love to travel those countries, esp. after old Dakar footage. If you can manage to do such a trip,absolutely go
for it!
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline fat b

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • BMW R 1150 GS ADVENTURE
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 04:26:19 pm »
Chalsam, I would love to travel those countries, esp. after old Dakar footage. If you can manage to do such a trip,absolutely go
for it!
I hear what you are saying , bu surely you could do a sililar trip through Botswana and Namibia and also experience harships and difficulty , and have the added incentive of maybe being eaten by a wild animal ! LOL just joking , but seriously those countries have nothing on Nam and Bots and the southern countries , nam especially in my opinion has everything that any bkier could ever need . I together with a few mates are doing a trip in september through Botswana , Zambia , and Namibia for 3-4 weeks and given the choice between the contries up North or down South , I would deffinatly want to stay down South .Just my 2c.

THE CHALLENGE MAY NOT BE EASY , BUT IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME !

MOSSEL BAY

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 04:51:14 pm »
Why not fly to Spain and cross to Morocco from there?

Offline chalsam

• Pack Dog
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:32:33 pm »
Why not fly to Spain and cross to Morocco from there?

After some more research this seems like the better option.
Ad augusta per angusta

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:55:54 pm »
There is a direct flight (via Dubai) with Emirates to Morocco

We are going end of March / Early April
I'm VERY keen to ship the 690 up and do a weeks riding there

What are your plans regarding dates ?
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline chalsam

• Pack Dog
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 09:10:08 pm »
I don't have any yet. 
Ad augusta per angusta

Offline Footloose

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 01:54:19 pm »
Just check I am not to sure whether Algeria is open for travelling. We could not cross from Morocco to Algeria into Tunisia.

Had to take ferry from Genoa, Italy to Tunis, Tunisia then into Libiya, Egypt and all the way down. I think it is possible to fly from Cairo to SA.

As to your family's concerns, the chances of you being killed by voilent crime in SA is far higher than any of these countries.

Next .... it is not the same as Bots, Nam, etc. If I have to make a choice give me the Arabian countries anytime.

The picture of the Land Rover was taken in the white desert Egypt. I have converted from 4x4 to 2x1, for 2x1 is the ultimate way to travel.

If you need more info let me know
Life is not a problem to be solved, but an adventure to be lived

Offline chalsam

• Pack Dog
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 02:26:05 pm »
Thanks for the info.
Ad augusta per angusta

Offline croatia

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 06:46:37 pm »
hi i am just back from tunisa spent 14 days there had a great time will put pictures on soon next stop morroco libya global reports croatia tunisa

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 04:50:57 pm »
One of my customers has just left for this area, he will be back in 4 months time,coming back down the West Coast. he has a blog somewhere, I'll try and find it and post here for you to see.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!