Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Drinking and Riding  (Read 1692 times)

Kev

Drinking and Riding
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:46:51 am »
I have been wanting to start this thread for some time... I think now may be as good as any.

Drinking and riding.

I have a very strict no drinking and riding for myself. Not a drop. I'll have a beer or two or a some afterwards, but never ever during a ride. This includes having a glass of wine during lunch. To me, the risks are just not worth it.

I doubt 1 small glass of wine will make much of a difference to my reaction time, but I will not take that chance. I want to be able to think and react as quick as possible.

And if I ever was in an accident, I do not want to give anyone the chance to say it may have beem my fault because I had been drinking. If it was a 50/50 case of who's fault it was, and you have had a beer or two, it will become your fault. Lawyers are clever buggers. Insurance might use it as an excuse to wangle their way out of not settling your claim. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Imaginge the worst case scenario: That 1 beer you had slows your reaction time by half a second... it might be that half second you need to save your own life from ending. Would you take a chance with that? Don't kid yourself, alcohol does efffect you. Even one or 2 drinks will.

Unfortunately, the drinking culture of where it is "manly" to drink, sometimes as much as possible, does not help either. You hit the party big time in the evening, thinking you will be ok in the morning, but you are not. It will take a while for all that alcohol to work its way out of your system.

What do you think of drinking and riding? Do you do it? Is the risk worth that drink or two?

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:59:58 am »
Kev, you have put down all the salient points:

1. Reaction times will slow down no matter who you think you are. Its been proven time and again.

2. Guilty party - if involved in an accident, and God forbid theres a casualty or you maim yourself, you will have a guilty conscience or a "what might have happened if I didnt take a drink, could I have avoided this" sort of question floating around till the day you die.

3. Insurance - why give them any more ammo? ITs not worth the risk.

In ZA theres a huge culture of drinking, bikes and manliness. One or two arent going to hurt right? However, for me, personally - I dont like it, nor will I practice it.

You can do it, but dont expect me to tag along. Personal, and wont win me any points with a lotta bikers. :roll:

shark_za

Drinking and Riding
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 11:31:45 am »
I try avoid it, but sometimes end up riding back from the local with a few in me.
2 or so is the limit I set, switch to cooldrinks then.

Lito your popularity has nothing to do with how much you drink or dont drink.

Nobody I know pressures other riders to drink or not, on a bike its acceptable to not drink, even with the SA national pastime of drinking and drivng. At least around my friends.

This last weekend for example. A bike broke down in the river at De Wildt, we got a few quarts while we were waiting. Some drank, others declined. Different consequences, on the road its other people, offroad its your own ass.

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 12:09:06 pm »

Offline Katoom

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Drinking
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 12:17:45 pm »
The more you drink the higher you go...  :!:  :!:
Ask N-Gin :D  :D
Life's too short.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 12:41:32 pm »
I have the odd beer now and again but will try and not get pissed on the bike. It is wrong and not clever but as long as we accept the risks before starting the motor up that we will be pulling on the shortest end if things go wrong. Normally on our rideouts we will stop during the day have a pint of beer and then carry on. Haven't seen anybody binge drink and getting drunk on the bike around me.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 12:46:36 pm »
I dont like it either.
After a ride I will maybe drink one or two Light beers at a pub, but that's the limit for me.
I dont like drinking and driving a cage either.
The risk is just too great.

I'm a pansy, I know. Flame me.
 :roll:  :D
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 12:56:18 pm »
Most of you may know by now, but I'm also a avid trails quad rider. We are very serious about our riding and our bikes have all the mods and extra's - including aftermarket suspension systems etc...
Our group also has a strict no alchohol policy during rides until one day we broke the rule.......
Well after that our normally well behaved group got reckless, including riding 3 or 4 abreast down a tar road, and generally misbehaving.
The ride ended about 3km's from home with one of the quads having rolled a few times and the young lady rider unconcious on the ground. Luckily she came too a while later and apart from a very broken quad and some big blue bruises she was OK.
I can ascribe that accident DIRECTLY to our alcohol consumption

Now the no alcohol rule is never broken in that group again
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 01:03:29 pm »
When i was younger , aye used to ride pished a lot ...

now that i am older i hardly ever drink during riding or breaks in between. i seen the damage done mixing bottle an throttle.

i will have a lite beer at lunch or something like that , but as a rule dont have more than one.

Riding offroad (and onroad) i find is very dehydrating , to rehydrate alcohol is the worst so generally i avoid it on the road.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 01:13:37 pm »
Guilty of having a cold one or two on trips.

A quart at the Klip does wonders for the riverbed that lies ahead! Same goes for mud. :oops:  :D

On the DR (more a DS rally than an Adventure trip), we do have a beer at almost every pit stop. The distances between pit stops and the heat means that it have no effect on you. The first beer is lekker. Then you are just thirsty so water most of the way with the odd beer inbetween and lekker kuier at the overnight stop.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 01:35:58 pm »
Guilty as charged :oops:  :oops:

Don't know if others suffer from this...

2 x Beers = Rossi (or so I think) :oops:

3 x Beers = Driving miss daisy ( I tend to take it very easy now)

New new years resalution.......
NO drinking and riding

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 01:42:07 pm »
Quote from: "Mark Hardy"

NO drinking and riding

Then I guess you'll gonna have to cut back on the riding, eh?..

:D  :D  :D
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Clockwork Orange

Drinking and Riding
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 01:43:40 pm »
Despite my vehement argument against it. (although I do not have a problem with a beer or 2) I have on a number of occasions been guilty of exceeding this :oops:  :oops:  Pretty stupid really!
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 01:46:44 pm »
Quote from: "Kaboef"

NO drinking and riding

Never just going to have to learn to walk home :twisted:  :D  :D

Kev

Drinking and Riding
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 01:50:23 pm »
Legal limit

In France & Switzerland, the limit is 0.05mg/l... that is ONE small glass of wine - 100ml. A dumpy will be pushing the limit. It is strict... and if they catch you, you are in a heap of doo-doo. I have been asked to blow in a breathaliser on a Saterday morning at 08:00. The reason? I may have had a few too many the night before, and the alcohol may not have worked its way out of my system.

Binge drinking:

This is becoming a BIG problem in the UK. Is it getting to be like this in SA too? The French do not have this binge drinking culture yet. They will enjoy their wine or beer, but you very seldom see public drunkeness like you do in the UK. The UK has the worst stats in Europe apparantly, and a program I saw on TV a few nights ago said that UK drinkers drink more than 5 units of alcohol to that of 1 in France, or 2 in Italy. Thats a lot of alcohol abuse.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 01:56:35 pm »
Quote from: "Kaboef"

NO drinking and riding

Never just going to have to learn to walk home :twisted:  :D  :D

My dad had this rule back when I was a laatie and got my bike. He knew the chances that us matrics having a beer at a party was inevitable.

Rule: Back by 23H30 or let know if you sleep over by 23H00. If at any stage you feel you can't ride, phone me and I'll come pick you up and get the bike the following morning. No questions asked. No punishment. (I thought this a bit strange but did not complain. Only when my children were born I realised what love for your children meant. Their safety comes first)

Somehow I never made use of the offer. The macho attitude of being young and foolish mostly. Also helped that I slept over most of the times. Nelspruit was an awesome town to grow up in back in the 80's. At 23H00 you were the only person on the road going from one end of the town to the other. :shock:
He who angers you, controls you.

masehare

Drinking and Riding
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 03:58:06 pm »
I don't mind having a beer at lunch and driving back, but point taken, don't give the insurance an excuse not to pay out.

On one of my first trips with the bike around the mountain to Hermanus, we stopped at Rooiels on the way back. I was shocked at the amount of alcohol the road bikers were consuming at the local bar. Seems like they meet there regularly for a piss-up and a ride.  :roll:

Offline koplamp

Drinking and Riding
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 04:12:14 pm »
Kev, I share your sentiment exactly. Good thread!

Also, many studies done in some Western countries (where they have money for studies) show that a lekker piss-up does affect your reaction time and coordination the next day.

Think of the comm. pilot's rule of thumb - 24 hours between the bottle and the throttle.

I avoid drink and bikes as a rule. But, I am sometimes too much of a pissy to stop my beloved mates from having another even responsible drink.

Offline Leo

Drinking and Riding
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 04:25:51 pm »
I'm guilty as charged.  :shock:

On rallies I generally park my bike and ride it only when I'm ready to leave the Sunday morning.

.......... but at the last 2 rallies I have even broke that rule  :roll:

Time to give this matter some serious thought. Won't be a new year's resolution, but definately something I need to adress.

For some or other reason my bike can't go over 2500 rpm when I've had more than enough, which I guess is a good thing!
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline brettp

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Blue boss.....
Drinking and Riding
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 06:14:23 am »
I also confess to enjoying a cold-one every now an then! nothing settles your thirst like a beer!

i have never really thought of it,but after reading this thread, it seem the attitude on my behalf need to be adjusted somewhat ! I  appreciate the thought provoking nature of this forum, and agree..... bottle & throttle should never mix!
thanks chaps.
He who dies with the most toys, wins !!!!!