The Curse of Prinsloos's Kloof

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drusky

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
I have an interesting piece of Africana in front of me, a collection of ghost stories published/printed by George Allen & Unwin, Ltd. London and Howard.B.Jimmins 58, Long Street Cape Town.

The Foreword is by Eric Rosenthal and dated 1949. I live not far from this area and would get a big kick out of finding the place mentioned in this tale. I have no interest in seeking out the paranormal but anyone familiar with this tale will realise that the anniversary of the event was yesterday... did you notice the nice Thunderstorm early in the morning of the day in question ;)

They Walk in the Night by Eric Rosenthal said:
On the edge of the great Karoo lies a desolate region between the Zwartberg Mountains and the lesser range known as the Zwartruggens.
Prinsloo's Kloof is in the upper reaches of the Gamtoos River. For many years it was shunned by both black and white, despite the fact that it was well watered. As a sample of its evil reputation stand the ruins of a homestead seven miles from the nearest road and completely over-grown with bush....

....To this day, all the farmers of the countryside confirm that on the night of every 15th January when the summer is hottest and the thunder comes on, the ghosts of Jan Prinsloo and his killers sweep through that evil kloof

I have found a web link to the story for those who are curious. It has none of the flavour/charm of the version in my book and has been shortened and censored but gives a reasonable sequence of events.

https://everything2.com/title/The+Gruesome+Legend+of+Jan+Prinsloo%2527s+Kloof

Soooo.... anyone got any info on how one can get to Prinsloo's Kloof. First one to get there should post a photie here :)