BMW 1200 GS FrontCover Corrosion/Rust Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwarf

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi Dogs,

Recently I decided to do something about the corrosion problem on the front engine cover of my 1200GS. This problem seems to be quite common with the 1200GS. Not sure what causes it, but I think the foam underneath the alternator belt cover is the culprit! So I am chucking it away! I think it only serves as a dampener for engine noise, so in my view it is useless!

Please see procedure for the fix below:

Step 1: Remove the alternator cover. Do this carefully, as the bolts may be corroded and weak and may break off in the engine cover. This will expose the foam on the Engine Cover.

DSC_0701.jpg

Step 2: Remove the foam. It is glued to the cover, so you will need to carefully pull it off if you want to reuse it.

DSC_0702.jpg

Step 3: Now you will be able to see the extent of the problem. In my case the rust has already moved up on the cover quite high, and the paint was flaking quite badly. Also, see the broken off bolt in bottom photo.

DSC_0695.jpg

DSC_0696.jpg

Step 4: I used paint stripper to try and clean off all the old flaking paint. It did not work as well as I had hoped, but I think it helped a little bit in the cleaning and smoothing process.

DSC_0705.jpg

DSC_0704.jpg

Step 5: Next I used steel brushes and sanding paper to remove the paint and smooth out the cover. I tried to remove as much paint as possible.

DSC_0707.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg

Step 6: Next I started to tape and cover all parts I didn't want to spray. I used plastic bags and masking tape. I must say this part took me the longest to do. I took of my crash bars, and I disconnected the exhaust pipes to give myself some more room to work in. I decided not to take off the front end, which made accessibility a little more difficult, but I still managed to get everything taped up.

DSC_0712.jpg

Step 7: I cleaned the cover with thinners, and then proceeded to spray it. I used engine enamel which I got from Midas. Decided I wanted to go for a darker colour: cast iron. I sprayed on 3 coats, giving enough time between coats for the paint to dry.

DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0706.jpg

Step 8: I drilled out the broken off bolt using steel drill bits, starting with a 1mm, and slowly and CAREFULLY working it up to a 4,8mm. Then I used a thread tap to make a new 5mm thread in the hole. (It goes without saying that this should be done with the utmost care!!!) :eek:

Step 9: I took off all the taping, and put back the alternator cover, leaving out the foam! And viola...there you have it, a newly sprayed front cover!

DSC_0725.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

Now just need to refit my crash bars, and I am good to go again. I must say, I like the new colour a lot, and would have loved to respray the whole engine...but that would have to wait for another day when I have more time on my hands!

Also thanks to Michnus and tbk for pointing me in the right direction with what to do... :thumleft:

If you need any help or advise with regard to above, drop me line, and I would try and help as best I can!

Till then, Tjorts! O0