Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Not the day for Soopabikes in Jozi!!!  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Not the day for Soopabikes in Jozi!!!
« on: January 21, 2007, 07:43:15 pm »
Today was not the day to be riding a soopabike in Jozi, myself, Peaches and Kaylee went for a ride at around 9-30am, on the R59 towards Vereeniging was a mutha of a roadblock, and guess what bikes it was FULL of? Soopabikes, all sans numberplates, in groot kark! And on the otherside of the highway was a huge convoy of bikes, all flanked in by copcars, on their way to the impound yard!
Now myself and Peaches being the law-abiding citizens that we are, :D  :D  :D we have number plates, I have a BIG collection of fines under a fridge magnet to prove this, :D  :D we are told very politely by Metro's finest, :lol:  :lol: to carry on, thank you very much.....
Kark luck to all those guys that were bust, but it is a gamble they take... :(  :(
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Leo

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 08:20:02 pm »
I see 3 bikers hit one another near Von Buren this morning. Apparently the one women fell, and the other women plus a man rode into her  :?

Definately not a day fro riding  :roll:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline krazy-eyes

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 09:35:02 pm »
today whislt driving my plate-less car i came off witkoppen onto william nicol and smack bang into a mutha of a roadblock  :shock:
they had a little camera on a tripod at numberplate height at the entrance to the roadblock  :?  wonder what it was for?
all i did was stick reeeeeal close to the car infront of me and snuck through quite easily actually, without them even noticing my lack of identification......suckers!  :twisted:

ps. if you stop for a cop you're a chop!

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 07:56:40 am »
Saw roadblocks on Saturday in the wild west as well, was in the cage...

This morning however, saw a soopabike rider, stop behind him at the traffic light, he was wearing shorts, tshirts and he held myself and anouther rider up, cuz he was havin a smoke, while riding... :shock:  also sans numberplate.

these vlamgatte never cease to amaze me.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 07:57:24 am »
Plus I don,t know if you saw in the news, the Honda man,
 I don,t wish an accident on anybody, but when you "borrow" at midnight on a Saturday night the new Honda 600 "Launch Bike" which was assembled on Friday and write it off (plus almost writing off you and your girlfriend) through a palisade fence.
Masbe your boss ain,t gonna be happy?

Welsh  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 08:54:49 am »
Quote from: "African Welsh"
Plus I don,t know if you saw in the news, the Honda man,
 I don,t wish an accident on anybody, but when you "borrow" at midnight on a Saturday night the new Honda 600 "Launch Bike" which was assembled on Friday and write it off (plus almost writing off you and your girlfriend) through a palisade fence.
Masbe your boss ain,t gonna be happy?

Welsh  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

i am surmising its a young bloke , when u young u immortal ....

as for the no. plates ... i aint got sympathy ...u pays your money an takes yr chances ....no good crying when the risk catches up with you...

cheers
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline krazy-eyes

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:27:32 am »
they cannot impound a bike/car that has missing plates.

they can however impound a bike/car that has missing plates & missing license disc, because then it could be a stolen vehicle.

so always keep your disc on the bike  :wink:

Steady

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 10:02:07 am »
today whislt driving my plate-less car i came off witkoppen onto william nicol and smack bang into a mutha of a roadblock  
they had a little camera on a tripod at numberplate height at the entrance to the roadblock  wonder what it was for?

That device allows someone sitting on the side of the road to enter the reg. into a computer and check if it in fact belongs to that vehicle/bike. Trying to catch the good citizens of our land cloning each others no. plates.  :oops:

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 10:11:01 am »
I'm supporting the clamp down on illegal plates.  Rather ride/drive with no plate than steel some one's plate for your vehicle.

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Live and let live (to a point)
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 10:24:11 am »
Sorry for the guys who had thier bikes impounded. We all break the traffic rules on occations. However, no plates means you don't have the guts to accept the responsability for your actions. The clamp down is a pain but if it helps with the road problems we have Great. I just don't believe it will. :oops:  :cry:
1200GS

Offline krazy-eyes

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 11:07:49 am »
Quote from: "Billbob"
However, no plates means you don't have the guts to accept the responsability for your actions.

i must be a sucker if i'm going to put myself in the firing line of a camera doing 180+ with plates on  :lol:
but seriously, when i had my yamaha R1, 180 felt like idling speed, those things only come to life at 240+ on the straits, and 160+ in the twisties  :shock:

and THAT is why i sold it - too fast, but i still want one... :twisted:

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:11:54 am »
Quote from: "Steady"
today whislt driving my plate-less car i came off witkoppen onto william nicol and smack bang into a mutha of a roadblock  
they had a little camera on a tripod at numberplate height at the entrance to the roadblock  wonder what it was for?

That device allows someone sitting on the side of the road to enter the reg. into a computer and check if it in fact belongs to that vehicle/bike. Trying to catch the good citizens of our land cloning each others no. plates.  :oops:

Well - it's a bit more advanced than that, believe it or not.  The camera images are fed into a puter with image-recognition capabilities, which resolves your registration number and runs it against a list of stolen vehicles, outstanding fines, etc etc etc, and pops up a warning to your friendly traffic officer who would then take the appropriate action.  I assume there would also be someone comparing the actual vehicle to what the puter says it should be.  :D
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 11:17:44 am »
Quote from: "krazy-eyes"
Quote from: "Billbob"
However, no plates means you don't have the guts to accept the responsability for your actions.

i must be a sucker if i'm going to put myself in the firing line of a camera doing 180+ with plates on  :lol:
but seriously, when i had my yamaha R1, 180 felt like idling speed, those things only come to life at 240+ on the straits, and 160+ in the twisties  :shock:

and THAT is why i sold it - too fast, but i still want one... :twisted:

Yea, to be honest, you could quite easily be breaking the speed limit without even realising it, and the twice that I got caught without plates quite easily made up for the fines I would have had to pay commuting between Pta and Jhb on my RS.  I did keep my license disc on at all times though, and made sure it was always up to date.  I used to also carry around a broken number plate for an easy excuse  :twisted:

I still enjoy riding soopabikes though, but DS riding has certainly improved my ability on the road.  Ability to control the bike AND ability to ride safely! 8)
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline brettp

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Blue boss.....
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 12:20:59 pm »
I was out Harties way yesterday, and it amazed me that hardly a single super bike had plates..... Lo and behold, returning from there on the PTA highway, there were our friendly "bush pigs" ( a term of endearment, owing to cunning camoflage of choice) pulling over only bikes. I, too got nabbed, for no plate being visable...but lucky for me, the disc was there. Every one was jumping up and down, complaining etc, but its a good thing that the police are trying to do.

We all break the law, by doing stupid things.....nobody is above the law, and thats where I believe the problem stems from..... We all believe that we are.

So, I took my medicine! now I am in debt to the state for a few bucks...... :oops:
He who dies with the most toys, wins !!!!!

D7

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 01:10:21 pm »
I got done a few days ago for no plate on the bike. R200!!!   I told the cop that to make up for it,  I was going to 'buzz' all the cameras on the rest of my way home!!!  
considering all the fines i have escaped,  I smiled when I paid my 200 at the cop shop.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 01:13:34 pm »
Quote from: "D7"
I got done a few days ago for no plate on the bike. R200!!!   I told the cop that to make up for it,  I was going to 'buzz' all the cameras on the rest of my way home!!!  
considering all the fines i have escaped,  I smiled when I paid my 200 at the cop shop.

Where on earth is those cameras....I look and look an dlook but canna find them.  :oops:  8)  :D
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

D7

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 01:18:20 pm »
my favourites are m1 @ empire road, m1 @ 1st avenue houghton. Also the one at cnr Jan Smuts & JHB Zoo.   the 2 highway ones I hit every single day of the week on my way into town.

Offline BlouVark

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 01:32:27 pm »
I lost mine last weekend on the dirt & Sunday on our way back home we were also met by  the "koelte boere" having a roadblock, but I just kept going... :wink:

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but a lot of the speed cameras are no longer up where they used to be, I know of 2 in Centurion.

Is this what the new cameras look like?
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 02:01:47 pm »
Quote from: "BlouVark"
Don't know if anyone has noticed, but a lot of the speed cameras are no longer up where they used to be, I know of 2 in Centurion.

Ja - I noticed - What's up with that?  I go on holiday for 2 months, and they move all the speed traps???  The one by the R21 is quite cool, facing traffic instead of the other way round.  Suits me just fine, no numberplate on the front  :D   But what happened to the one at the John Vorster onramp???

Quote from: "BlouVark"

Is this what the new cameras look like?

Had a look - haven't seen any of these yet?  You can see this photo wasn't taken in SA though - check the black and white chevron in the background - don't get those here either.  8)

Kev

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 02:52:56 pm »
Those pics are of the new cameras here in Switzerland. That particular one is between Geneva and Nyon. They are nasty cause you cant see em, and the resolution is outstanding, even at night.