Ping Triumph Tiger 955i owners ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDR

Grey Hound
Administrator
Reaction score
After much deliberation and drawing up of spreadsheets with weighted ratings and the whole toot, I've come to the (non-negotiable ;D ) conclusion that a 955i Tiger is the second bike for me.  To be frank, the main reason for it is because doing any sort of distance on the KLR fully loaded with a pillion is, literally, a pain in the ass. 

I'm quite sure that the "Girlies" are quite capable of pottering through Baviaans Kloof, or over Naude's Nek, which is really the limit of off-tar capabilites that I require from such a big beast.

In MrBig's Namibia report, he touches on the history of the Tiger.  Obviously, 2006 was the last model year, so these bikes are quite scarce - in fact, between Google and phoning the dealers, I can only find four for sale, country-wide.

Up here in Gauteng, there are two at Traditional Triumph.  One 2003 with 50 000 km with Triumph panniers for R 49,500, and one 2005 with 24000 km for R 69,500.  The 2003, with spoke wheels, is obviously the one out of those two to go for, but at the moment, the one that is most appealing is a 2005 model (read: mags, Triumph panniers, no heated grips) on Junk Mail, in Lucifer Orange, with 60 000 km on the clock @ R 45,000.  The bike looks spotless, so I'm assuming it's been well looked after, mechanically as well, but the owner says it has been in a light, low-side accident.

What I'd like to ask those in the know, is whether you think that 60 000 km is a lot for this motor? 
1) Ie. are things going to start breaking on me?
2) Would you prefer the spokes that much over the mags, considering the low gravel % this bike will be doing (tubed vs tubeless, weight, etc)?
3) Are the Triumph panniers any good, or will I be looking to replace them with aftermarket ones anyway?
4) Would you spend your money on any of these bikes?

Thanks!