a road trip on the coldest weekend of this year!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurika

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
My dearest  decided that he would surprise me with a road trip this past weekend, he had new bling on his hp2 in the form of a very impressive set of wheels and I had new gaffer tape holding my Helga together after my fall two weeks ago(again when my beloved wanted some adventure)..and both of us had enough of the city for a bit.

We went south, we knew it would get colder as the weekend went on, and we were not disappointed.
We left joburg on Friday before the main traffic started, and headed on the highway towards Heidelberg...took a road to Val (the destination of Misty’s’ girls trip in august) the roads were in good condition, and we did no dirt, as we wanted to get to Val before sunset and the worst cold.

Val basically belongs to a family from Witbank, they own the hotel, the backpackers, the pub and the antique store...we booked into a lovely cottage and spend the night by a warm fire. The two bikes slept outside in the cold.

We woke up the Saturday with ice on the seats of the bikes, and after a hearty breakfast decided to leave.
The HP had a flat battery, and my Helga was too cold to start. after leaving it a bit, we managed to start her, and jump starts the  beast.

The HP was in the mood for serious dirt, and we decided to do a wonderful route of railway roads from Val to Wakkerstroom. About 2 km later we hit the first water, it was covered in ice. Still trying to get blood to my extremities, Johan took Helga through the ice…large shards flew up and landed on the banks of the little dip. A bit later we hit some serious gravel downhill, and again I baulked….
Used every excuse to avoid going down that hill, again Johan took Helga through…and we decided to take alternative routes as I was too chicken …..so strange how much of your riding depends on your headspace…..

We took some tar to Standerton, and then found some gravel to Amersfoort, and again after that another stretch of dirt for approx 50 km. We were in time to watch the Rugby between Italy and the BOks…. The old Station Pub in Wakkerstroom was a disappointment though…we booked in at the main hotel on the square and had cuppa chinos while putting the bikes to bed.
That night it was too cold to get on a bike and ride to the nearest restaurant, so we stayed in. he temperature had dipped to below 0 again.

Sunday, breakfast, packed the bikes, jump started the Beast off Helga, and took the road back to Joburg, this time finding more dirt roads and little paths.  The temperatures had already warmed up slightly…that area is so beautiful, even in winter.

We had no further problems, a mellow weekend of riding, with a very patient boyfriend, and again I am amazed how beautiful this country is, how wonderful it is to ride with your partner, and to learn new things with every trip. Again I am amazed at my Bike, who never falters; she is such a trooper…
Thank you for my weekend treat HSK. Much love to you. xxx