Alfie Cox Racing - Lesotho Winter Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
We do a winter ride in Lesotho every year.  Alfie's planning was bad this year and the date was set during the time I was still getting back from Angola.  OK I said to Alfie: you will have to write the report yourself then.  Hazel bailed him out and did a splendid job as secretary - she has to put Alfie'r thoughts in a straight line every day and this was no exception.  So here is the story....

Riders:  Alfie – 950SE  - Mike Burton (Mr Timefreight) – 950SE; Johan “Kwagga” Bothma – 950SE; Anthony & Monya Broadfield – 990 Adv; Gustav de Wet -950SE; Rod Gray – 990 Adv; Dave Botterill -640 Adv (2001)
-A group of 8 riders all met at Underberg Hotel on Thursday night – Underberg was a-buzz because the Drak 250 Car off Road Race which was taking place from there on Friday. This was a ride Bruce Main had talked me in taking and then at the last minute due to work commitments he was not able to join.  The route was set and the challenge was that we would ride from Underberg to Matat and into Lesotho via Ongeluksnek Border Post and onto Roma from the back of Semonkong crossing the Orange (Senqu) and Senqunyane for the overnight stop at The Trading Post in Roma.  The following day we would return to Underberg via Sani Pass. 
I had been given a track log from a friend, Glen McDonald, who had previously done this route on a 525, so I was a little uncertain of the technical challenge that lay ahead.  I had spoken to two of my customers who had done this route before and both told me that whatever we did we must not cross the rivers through the water but must follow the track via the bridges which are busy being constructed by the Chinese over both the Orange and the Senqunyane.
Just after the sun peeped its head over the majestic Drakensburg mountains (it did nothing to warm up the mercury) and I had scraped the ice off my saddle, we set off in an early morning temperature of 3 degrees  to Matat where Sakkie Martens had organized us to stop in at a lovely B&B in the main street of Matat.  Resthaven served us a hearty breakfast with steaming coffee. 

SSA42783.jpg

Lesotho with all her challenges beckoned us.

Wasteoftaxpayersmoney.jpg

Everyone managed Ongeluksnek Pass, the Summer rain ruts had made it a little tricky.  Dave Botterill, who was on his first adventure ride managed very well although he and his bike parted ways and Dave found himself kissing mother earth.  No damage done we continued past the Letsing dam & onto Mphaki where we refueled.  From Mphaki to Semonkong was a new section for me. 

SSA42786.jpg

Just as we were leaving the tar to go down to the Orange – Anthony who was lifting his wife, Monya, (with pannier boxes and top boxes!) on their 990 Adventure got a flat front tyre.  I stopped to help them change the tube and I thought rather than all of guys waiting the rest of group could continue – Johan Bothma had the track log in his GPS.  I re-iterated that no matter what they did they MUST cross the two rivers on the bridges.  Everyone agreed and off the group went.  I was quite sure that in half an hour or so we would all catch up.  I fixed the puncture and off the Broadfields and I went. 

2-upclasswinners.jpg

Little did I know, Johan changed to the next track log 5km before the river.  So they crossed the first river (Orange) on the bridge, the GPS then took him to the old crossing across the Senquyani.  They proceeded and once over the river they found a newly graded gravel road and proceeded on it – in the wrong direction on the road to nowhere! 

Ass-umenottocrossanyrivers.jpg

GustavonhisSilverSubmarine.jpg

SSA42788.jpg

We proceeded and crossed both rivers and then starting making our way up the mountain – the Chinese have made a “makeshift” mountain road, strewn with loose rocks & boulders in places.  Quite technical and at this point I have to commend Anthony for the way he rode his 990, as I said before he had his wife on board, together with all pannier boxes – no mean feat.

EvenLegendRodgotcaught.jpg

Once we reached the first plateau I realized the rest of the group was not on the same mountain pass we were on. 

Freedom2.jpg

Freedom3.jpg

Surely by now we would have caught them up.  We could not turn around at this point as fuel in Lesotho is more precious than gold, we needed to press on.  The rest of the group were very experienced riders including Rod Gray who has the technical aspect, I knew they would help Dave.  They had strength in their numbers (5). 
From the plateau the going became quite primitive in that the track was not highly visable we had to pick our way through the valleys and over the hills.  Our average speed was around 30km/hr to give you some idea.  The GPS indicated that Semonkong was approximately 50km away.  We arrived at Semonkong around 15h00.  We re-fueled at Semonkong and I asked the locals if any other bikes had been there.  NO was the answer. 

eRrrromaees24awhaWhat.jpg

Whilst riding to Semonkong I thought perhaps the guys had headed back to Matat via Qacha’s Nek when they realized the navigation mistake they had made.  I was concerned about their fuel.  I thought if they had turned back then surely there would be a message on my phone. I got my phone out because there is signal at Semonkong.  No message.  That is a good sign I thought – no message they weren’t answering so maybe they were on their way…..

Freedom.jpg

The Broadfields and I arrived at The Trading Post, Roma at 16h30.  Still no message.  I phoned home and asked Hazel to try to call the various phones.  She too got no answer. I was convinced the guys would be ok, but fuel and curve balls Lesotho can throw at you left me feeling slightly anxious.  By curve balls I mean, the cold, the lurkers out on the track and the unexpected. Monya had gone out to their bike to fetch something and she came back telling me she could hear the bikes in the village.  RELIEF!. 18h30 the boys had arrived!  I went out to meet them and there was Rod with a local kid on the bike, determined not to get lost again when Rod asked where the Trading Post was, the kid told him and Rod said show me, put him on his bike and brought him to the TP.  I realized we were one guy short – Dave had not arrived.  I got back into my jackets – far too cold to brave it without the proper gear!- I headed back towards Ramabanta to find him.  About 20kms out of Roma I found him, cold, tired but still in good spirits we rode back to the TP together.  Dave has a wonderful sense of humour and he told me “if it wasn’t for the steep up hills, the rocky down hills the long tiring gravel roads everything would be ok!!”  A true Adventurer!!
Rose and the ladies from the Trading Post served up a delicious meal coupled with outstanding hospitality.  Laughter and war stories were the order of the evening! After this epic day wherein 450km had been covered – all of us had a great sense of achievement.  Convincing the boys that Saturday would be a walk in the park compared to what we had conquered today! 
After an early breakfast at 08h00 on Saturday morning we headed off back to South Africa via Thaba Seka,(Thaba Seka was a small mission in that their fuel had run out 3 days ago!!  I remember a while ago whilst on another adventure ride,  I had got fuel from a cash & carry I managed to convince the owner to sell us 30L of fuel at a mere R10/L ) once we re-fuelled we headed towards home, crossing the Senqu onto Sani Top, nearing Sani Top all the fuel lights were glowing “warning” , so we reached Underberg on fumes!  Fuel Tanks empty a total adventure of 800Km under our kidney belts – it still beats a day in any office!!

TopofBlackNeck.jpg