Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Replacing my Klr with a Dakar. Should I ?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Re: Replacing my Klr with a Dakar. Should I ?
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 10:38:42 pm »
[quote author=michnus link=topic=54333.msg1092934#msg1092934
Forget about wasting money on suspension on a KLR, you cant make it kick ass, as your straring point is rubbish. Rather upgrade your brakes, and get a bolt kit and fix the Doo, and fit a Corbin seat.  ;)
Corbins are for softties... >:D

[/quote]

Ye you bloody cheap skate KLR riders would rather skin a sheep alive to use, than taking money out for a Corbin or Airhawk.  ;)

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 10:40:15 pm »
Quote from: buzzlightyear
"Does your ass not get jealous of all the crap that comes out of your mouth?" 

Put brain into gear before opening mouth !   Believe it, cos its true !     Yamaha IT 200; Kawasaki KLE 500 The Ox Wagon  

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 10:42:42 pm »
The thing is that I feel that I have out grown the Klr. I took the 660 Tenere for test a few weeks ago and was impressed. So much so that I came close to buying one but, cant justify the price. So I started looking at the Dakar again.          However I have never ridden a Dakar offroad and dont want to do my self in if I could just spend a few rand on a suspension upgrade on the Klr. But I would still not have the the comfort the Dakar seems to have.
n Skaap is nie n scrambler

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 10:45:29 pm »
Compare some spare parts between the KLR and the Dakar... I did. >:D

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 12:39:06 am »
You never replace spares on a dakar. On a klr something falls off every 5mins, believe me, Ive seen it happen

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 01:04:09 am »
[Not KLR related]
what a bunch of horse manure.  :eek7:
Which part exactly??

Have you ever ride a 640 on a rocky road? You're bouncing on a pogo stick, the suspension is made for smaller enduro bikes.
Suspension needs to be setup according to rider and application. That WP set of forks can be tweaked in ways the Dakar can only dream.

The facts:
1) I've owned a Dakak for 9 months and 13000KM.
2) Dakak weighs almost 20KG's more than the 640 (you do realize how much this is yes?)
3) Ergonomics of the Dakak has you sitting way too far back from the front wheel and much too deep in the saddle
4) Dakak forks: 41mm conventional no-name brand
5) 640 forks: 48mm USD WP (the brand which ALL real Dakar racers actually use)
6) Front suspension travel Dakak = 210mm, 640 = 300mm
7) Rear suspension travel Dakak = 220mm, 640 = 335mm (that's a 3rd more travel)

From the facts stated, the Dakak not only weighs crap loads more, it's got an uber weak suspension compared to KTM.

Like my opening statement read; it depends on the type of person.
Dakar is ample for the refined red wine connoisseur (aka the guy that's been there, done that, and moved on in life) who is not interested in fast paced twisties.. where the 640 by the way shines.

My intentions were not to rip anyone or anything off. As we humans all differ in age, requirements etc. , the bikes do too.
Both bikes are excellent for the right purpose, that's all.
No need to get your BMW panties in a bunch.

As a final note: I don't own any of said bikes/brands and my opinion is thus not biased.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:33:26 am by dirtWarp »

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 01:52:05 am »
[Not KLR related]
what a bunch of horse manure.  :eek7:
Which part exactly??

Have you ever ride a 640 on a rocky road? You're bouncing on a pogo stick, the suspension is made for smaller enduro bikes.
Suspension needs to be setup according to rider and application. That WP set of forks can be tweaked in ways the Dakar can only dream.

The facts:
1) I've owned a Dakak for 9 months and 13000KM.
2) Dakak weighs almost 20KG's more than the 640 (you do realize how much this is yes?)
3) Ergonomics of the Dakak has you sitting way too far back from the front wheel and much too deep in the saddle
4) Dakak forks: 41mm conventional no-name brand
5) 640 forks: 48mm USD WP (the brand which ALL real Dakar racers actually use)
6) Front suspension travel Dakak = 210mm, 640 = 300mm
7) Rear suspension travel Dakak = 220mm, 640 = 335mm (that's a 3rd more travel)

From the facts stated, the Dakak not only weighs crap loads more, it's got an uber weak suspension compared to KTM.

Like my opening statement read; it depends on the type of person.
Dakar is ample for the refined red wine connoisseur (aka the guy that's been there, done that, and moved on in life) who is not interested in fast paced twisties.. where the 640 by the way shines.

My intentions were not to rip anyone or anything off. As we humans all differ in age, requirements etc. , the bikes do too.
Both bikes are excellent for the right purpose, that's all.
No need to get your BMW panties in a bunch.

As a final note: I don't own any of said bikes/brands and my opinion is thus not biased.

man whatever your smoking must be illegal  :-\

is the name of the thread "should i sell my klr and get a 640" ???

its a pure and simple straight forward question - if you cant comment on the question then dont

now take a grandpa tablet and step away from the keyboard  :peepwall:

Offline Kaptein Bos

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 07:16:20 am »
Ja and now go read the Angola ride report as M said...  More adventure than that is too much any way...

Offline lecap

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 07:44:51 am »
I would not replace a KLR with a Dakar unless you're after a tiny tad of extra speed in supecruise mode.
If that's your aim you should actually look at something completely different, maybe a F650GS Twin, DL650, or Transalp 700.
And yes the Dakar has a comfortable seat although I never had issues with my KLR's with regards to the seats (KL650A and C)

You never replace spares on a dakar. On a klr something falls off every 5mins, believe me, Ive seen it happen

Are you queueing for the :pot: again or are you just talking rubbish? I'd stay away from people to whom I recommended to buy a Dakar because nothing ever breaks. At least after dark and in lonely alleys ::)

Can't be bothererd to look up the threads about the Dakar's water pumps, steering head bearings, fork oil seals and if you want to see things falling off Dakars take a look at tail lights and chain rollers (if they are still there) no need to look any further.

BTW: I never used thread locking compounds on my 8 KLR's unless in places where it's prescribed by the SM. The only thing I ever had (almost) falling off a KLR was a luggage rack which was rattled loose by a topbox. Stupid idea.

Tell the people you see happening to service their bikes.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 08:19:56 am »
At last we have a bike fight again  :thumleft: :biggrin:

Ye you won't find many Lecap, except for steering head bearings, there's not many GS's that gives  trouble, why do most people prefer them for RTW trips? Not Dakar racing machines and desert racing DNA from grandfather bikes, just simple bikes that's used for extended trips.  :biggrin:

The KLR is also the only bike on our forum with it's own sticky stukkend thread on the forum, o yes and come standard without brakes.  :biggrin:  :deal:

Can't be bothererd to look up the threads about the Dakar's water pumps, steering head bearings, fork oil seals and if you want to see things falling off Dakars take a look at tail lights and chain rollers (if they are still there) no need to look any further.
Same here can't be bothered to look it up, there's some KLR's here that sucked oil from new and had their engines overhauled, a friend had his engine overhauled at 15000km on his new KLR.
PS Dirtwarp you can have the best superdooper suspension ReadytoRace bike, but if it's unreliable you are stuck doing 50km away from home trips, it's not a question, if you will have engine trouble, it's when. I know of 2 640's that blew motors within 8000km from new, and it cost plenty.  :deal:   :biggrin:

The Dakar is a different bike to the KLR, but restricted in application as the KLR and 640, go ride one and make up your own mind.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:26:18 am by michnus »

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 08:27:47 am »
+1

i have been very happy with my dakar

only real problem i have had was the steering head bearings - they just dont last

i'm on my 3rd set - but the next set i'll fit myself so should be cheap (first 2 sets replaced under warranty)

60k and touch wood no water pump troubles - no chain rollers falling off - still the original fork seals but i'm anal about the forks i sand them down as soon as i find a pit mark and i keep them oiled and lubed

did a 700km trip earlier this year (450km dirt + 250km tar) and i stopped more for photos etc and it took me just as long as the other road back that was 680km tar

but i must admin - fit some progressive fork springs and it will turn your bike into something completely different  :thumleft:

yes the vstroms etc are better speed cruise bikes - but if you still want the off-roadability that the klr has but want to be able to cruise 130/140 all day long then you cant go wrong with the dakar  :thumleft:

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 08:40:19 am »
man whatever your smoking must be illegal  :-\

is the name of the thread "should i sell my klr and get a 640" ???

its a pure and simple straight forward question - if you cant comment on the question then dont

now take a grandpa tablet and step away from the keyboard  :peepwall:
ditto.

The OP also mentioned this:
I passed over a perfect KTM 640 recently.                                   

which, based on what he wants to use the bike for, could have been a mistake.

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 01:17:12 pm »
Without being loyal to the brand, if you feel you are happy with the KLR but feel you need a bit of an up grade, More ability + style, then you should seriously consider the Dakar.

Please do not get intimidated by guys telling you about oil seals and water pumps etc, some guys ride the shit out of their bikes with the minimum maintenance, and when something goes it's a super shit bike.
 Between Sweetness and I we've had the Funduro and two GS's and we have done in exes of
220 000 km's.
At 157 000k's I replaced the Funduro's intake manifold.
At +- 25 000 replaced the normal GS's fork seals and again at about 40 000. On both occasions I stuffed it up by doing more than what the bike was built for.
On the Dakar I have replaced the tail light , the red plastic bit, twice. That is the Dakar's weak spot in my opinion. I was told to place a piece of foam rubber behind the cover when I install the cover to minimise vibration.

You more than likely will find better bikes than the Dakar but at a prices.

Now, what do you expect of a bike?  :thumleft:

Now that you know the answer buy the DAKAR you will not be sorry. :pot:

Offline mannemerak

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 01:25:35 pm »
Go ride the dakar, you will buy it...
Sjoe ek is dors...

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 01:27:22 pm »
At 157 000k's I replaced the Funduro's intake manifold.
Man, I take my hat off to that!  :thumleft:

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 08:55:42 pm »
Thanks for all the input. It seems as if most of the so called issues on the Dak comes down to simple maintenance.                         Dont have a problem with that. The Dak Im looking at is a 07 model with Km 11 000 on. So it should be fine for many miles.
n Skaap is nie n scrambler

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 09:08:15 pm »
Thanks for all the input. It seems as if most of the so called issues on the Dak comes down to simple maintenance.                         Dont have a problem with that. The Dak Im looking at is a 07 model with Km 11 000 on. So it should be fine for many miles.

11k on the clock and the motor is not even loosen up  :thumleft:

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 09:10:19 pm »
I think Lecap said it very well, you are going to spend a lot of money to get very little extra. But if you want one, and your heart wants one, then you aint going to be happy until you get one. And if you get one and aint happy with it, then just try something else, maybe a DR next?

But FFS, 5th post and it turns to BMW vs KTM again. WTF?
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 11:07:15 pm »
But FFS, 5th post and it turns to BMW vs KTM again. WTF?

Stir some more why don't you?

Het jy nie 'n CAD drawing of twee om te gaan doen nie Mnr. De Kock??
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:15:41 pm by dirtWarp »

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 11:29:43 pm »

If I had to choose between a KLR and a Dakar I would buy the Dakar but there is no way that I would sell a KLR to buy a Dakar. I think the difference is not great enough. You'd be selling something to get something else of very much the same. Getting "tired" of a bike I believe is very normal but I don't think the Dakar would keep you happy for very long if you've outgrown the KLR.
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure