Roadtrippin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poenjas

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
My first little RR of a short weekend trip. Hope it's worth the read

Roadtrippin with my two favorite allies

So the day came for the first real trip with my better half, other than the odd breakfast run.  Had a little family reunion in the (infamous?) town of Orania.  The plan was to go straight to Christiana and sleep over at my ouma, then hit the dirt early morning to our destination.  Since I don’t have the luxury of panniers packing was limited to just some fresh undies and the basic necessities, all in the “borrowed” dingy bag from my bosses airplane and strapped on the rear.  :peepwall:

Packed and ready to hit the road!  :ricky:

Took the tar for the first bit but mainly back roads to avoid the cops, as I’m still on the learners.  Then trues nannies got pulled over just outside Orkney, and the cop reminded me that the bike license also expired in August… Some sweet talk, smiles and apologies and we were off again without even a R2 fine!  >:D  Shows you what friendliness can do, also suppose the cop was in a good mood.

Stretching the legs

With no further hassles we drove off into the beautiful North-West sunset  looking forward to ouma’s huge dinner as it always is.

After a big three course breakfast we filled up and about 20km out of Christiana hit the dirt.  Very nice long stretches of mainly dirt highway.  The first part had a few sandy patches but nothing to write home about, and almost NO cages at all except for one or two friendly boere where we exchanged a friendly wave.

Stopped again in Boshoff for a photo at the old railway station

Refreshed and good to go we hit the dirt again.  The road very nice and can easily do 110km/h safely on the gravel.  Came across the beautiful old bridge and had to stop and take in the scenery.

Then again a quick fuel stop in Koffiefontein.  Actually such a pretty little town with so much potential but ja taken over by the indigenous like most of these small little forgotten towns..

Now the roads really started to open up an smooth out.  Without a pillion I’ve done 130km/h + on these roads.  It was raining now to the front so we stopped to stretch every now and then not too eager to catch up on the rain.

And then typical Northern Cape weather it cleared again

Nearly there

Gotta love the flatness of the area, even though not a lot of vegetation truly beautiful in it’s own way

Then finally the mighty Orange river appears, only about 8km’s to go

Definitely not the end of biking for the weekend before we headed back.  The whole family is crazy bout scramblers and motocross so on Saturday we headed of to the track for a show of some superb riding.  :mwink: :drif:

Then of course I had to take the GS round the track, even though it's just to say I've been round on the "defnitief lewensgevaarlik op die baan". Yes yes I know didn't wear any ATGAT but went round like a little granny too scared to get a scratch on her..  :3some:

Then sadly on Sunday morning all good things have to come to an end.  Decided to take the long N12 back (waste of good tires I know) but wanted to be back in Joburg before dark.

Riding through Kimberly we both decided we need some rest, so we headed off to the "gat kant van die dorp"

One of a few stops along the long boring road

Had a small little incident just before Potchefstroom, saw the cars piling up and thought it was an accident, on closer inspection it was a huge road block.  So decided to turn around looking for an alternate route, and the only one was threw Ikageng... Mr Garmin didn't like it very much but got us through in the end.  :'(

Sore ass in the end but a trip well worth while.  :thumleft: