Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Stop me before I do something stupid...  (Read 4912 times)

bobnob

wind protection
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2007, 07:06:59 am »
wind protection is only an issue if you do more than 130-140

i only feel the wind on my tt600 if the wind is blowing  :lol:

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
Stop me before I do something stupid...
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2007, 08:06:41 am »
scrambler reviewed offroad at ADV rider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141616

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2007, 09:13:02 am »
I would not buy it
I have a nagging suspicion that such a bike will cause me more frustration than pleasure

but if you like it, by all means go for it.
nothing will stop me from getting the bike I really want - It's the way it should be

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2007, 09:20:58 am »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
I would not buy it
I have a nagging suspicion that such a bike will cause me more frustration than pleasure

In what way?
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2007, 09:39:36 am »
Quote from: "InsiderDirtRider"
In what way?

Well, I don't have any facts or stats to back me up so please take my opinion as you will.

I have always shied away from fake stuff. Whether it be simulated sandstone or chromed plastic. I'd much rather go without something than get the next best thing.

Form should follow function. When function follows form there is usually a cockup.
Good examples are the Chrysler PT cruiser and the Brabantia Espresso machine. They look good but they suck eggs

this bike reminds me of that

shark_za

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2007, 09:48:13 am »
You get well done reproductions, and then the crap.

VW beetle and the PT cruiser missed the mark.

The Mini was spot on and is an awesome car.
This I think fits in the same class as that, along with the modern Vespas.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2007, 09:58:30 am »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
Well, I don't have any facts or stats to back me up so please take my opinion as you will.

I have always shied away from fake stuff. Whether it be simulated sandstone or chromed plastic. I'd much rather go without something than get the next best thing.

Form should follow function. When function follows form there is usually a cockup.
Good examples are the Chrysler PT cruiser and the Brabantia Espresso machine. They look good but they suck eggs

this bike reminds me of that

I couldn't really comment, because I don't own one, or haven't had one in my possession for anything longer than a week, and I'm actually still not too sure why you think it will frustrate you...  but this bike certainly has a lot going for it, reliability being one of them (I suspect this might be what you're referring to)... it's a 900cc carburettored parallel twin, that's been proven for YEARS to be quite reliable in all the different guises Triumph apply it to (Adventurer, Bonnie, Thruxton, America, etc etc)... the thing to keep in mind that this bike is NOT designed to do what we do with our bikes... it's there for old toppies (unlike me) who want to reminisce about when they were young, stupid and bikers, or for yuppies to park in front of the <insert local yuppy hangout> to pose...  And if that's what you want to do with a bike, then there're few alternatives that'd pull it off as well.  On top of that it's really fun to ride, it's not fast by any means, but it looks good enough for that not to matter... and it's got character, stands out in a crowd of hyped-up superbikes and reams of never-seen-dirt GSs... it's something different.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2007, 10:07:39 am »
and it will tour better than a 650GS 2-up, and, apparently, go anywhere an 1150GS can ;)

also - the v###a's are a good replication, but hopelessly overpriced

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2007, 10:17:14 am »
Quote from: the_wes
and it will tour better than a 650GS 2-up, and, apparently, go anywhere an 1150GS can ;)

also - the v###a's are a good replication, but hopelessly overpriced[/quote]

and this scrambler..

what exactly is the price for tried and tested technology...

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2007, 10:21:06 am »
this scrambler is not really overpriced, IMHO. it comes in at just under R65k. that's slightly more than the Transalp and V-Strom, and R10k less than the ABS Dakar (all bikes I'm considering buying). If you take into consideration the fact that, not only is it a good motorcycle, but you're buying into the "bling" and "heritage" (eg, Harley, Ducati, Vespa, BMW) then it's really well-priced.

shark_za

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2007, 10:25:44 am »
Its well priced, but add the mods and it adds up.

The one I tried had all the right bling, small fly screen, rev counter , racing pipes, bashplate.
All that added another R12k-R16k , cant remember the exact amounts as I was getting confused as to what it would cost me ;)

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2007, 10:29:47 am »
but you could get away with just adding the fly screen, and maybe bash plate, and it's still a sweet ride. pipes would be nice, but i need to be budget minded here ;)

rev counter is cool, but then you can't use the triumph tank bag, bizarre

luggage options i am unsure of. this will be a big decider for me, as i hope to do some light 2 up touring on it (weekends away, a trip to namibia, etc).

like i said, i don't mind the lack of fairing (since i am prepared to brave these trips on a F650GS) but the luggage is a big deal.

i have no doubt - engine and seat-wise - that it will be a comfy ride 2-up

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2007, 11:15:13 am »
Quote from: "the_wes"

i hope to do some light 2 up touring on it (weekends away, a trip to namibia, etc).

?????

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2007, 11:26:37 am »
hahaha, ok good point.

please bear this in mind about me, i have no experience with "proper" bikes. in fact i have pretty much already agreed with myself that whatever i think i am going to do with my new bike, whatever i might buy, will probably change when i actually get it and ride it

but re: my namibia trip -  wife and i have agreed we plan on doing no more than 500km a day. so it is kinda light ;) or not. like i said, i don't know  :roll:

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
Re: if you like
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2007, 12:18:22 pm »
Quote from: "Jaqhama"
Quote from: "bobnob"
if you like classic what about one of these...

There is a world of difference between the new Triumph's and the Enfield Bullets.
For a start the trumpies will actually do a few miles before you have to start rebuilding the engine. :lol:

They also do what is generally considered to be the legal speed limit and above...not something anyone has ever accused an Enfield rider of being able to accomplish. :D

I know the guy who imports and sells them here...he discouraged Shalako from buying one.
Said they are not bikes one should consider suitable for day to day transport, weekends away or long tours on.
I said "That doesn't leave anything to use the bike for?"
He said..."I know!" :D

My son bought one seconhand in Delhi, rode up to the Himalayas & down to Goa & back to Delihi & sold it.  As has been said - dead simple to fix along the road; he had some engine problem & the local rural mechanic stripped the engine down & fixed it up (but they are very familiar with them).  He said the roads are so crowded in India that you crawl along and the bikes last very well under those conditions.  He was not limited by the top speed of the bike much at all.  There is a diesel one available also which is very popular.  The 350 is the common one in India, not the 500.
Anton has wonderful memories of that bike but would not dream of getting one here - he has a Loncin :( !

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2007, 12:28:22 pm »
KLR - R43000

Just sayin'

:twisted:
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2007, 12:30:25 pm »
The engine in the Scrambler is the same as the ones in the Bonnies...and they seem to be very reliable.

I reckon Triumph made a huge mistake in not adding some longer travel suspension to the Scrambler.

Not really long travel, just a few more inches at either end.

But having said that...a bike where you can easily get both feet flat on the floor...is a bike that's going to get you over very tough terrain no trouble at all provided there is enough clearence under the bash plate.

If someone lends me a Scrambler I'll ride the Bavians on it, no worries. :D
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2007, 12:33:40 pm »
Dunno 'bout the Bonnie engine, but Top Bike just did a comparitive test on all sorts of engines and the Triumph tripple comes out tops...

While we're on the subject - why not look for a good 2nd hand Tiger ?

W.
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2007, 12:36:07 pm »
call me full of crap but i have my heart set on buying new. in the 60-75K range. at the moment my options are triumph scrambler, bm f650gs, bm dakar, honda transalp, suzuki wee-strom

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2007, 12:37:32 pm »
Quote from: "the_wes"
but you could get away with just adding the fly screen, and maybe bash plate, and it's still a sweet ride. pipes would be nice, but i need to be budget minded here ;)

rev counter is cool, but then you can't use the triumph tank bag, bizarre

luggage options i am unsure of. this will be a big decider for me, as i hope to do some light 2 up touring on it (weekends away, a trip to namibia, etc).

like i said, i don't mind the lack of fairing (since i am prepared to brave these trips on a F650GS) but the luggage is a big deal.

i have no doubt - engine and seat-wise - that it will be a comfy ride 2-up

No mate..you will deff need the king and queen seat Triumph make for the bike.
Your pillion will thank you for it, trust me.
If you are buying one brand new, insist on the seat as part of the deal.
The off road pipes sound lekker also.
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!