Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 990Adv vs BMW F800GS vs whatever  (Read 947 times)

Offline Willehond

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Go ahead, make my day!
Re: KTM 990Adv vs BMW F800GS vs whatever
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 11:33:33 am »
I still want to know what is so bad about the 800 front suspension, or is everyone trying to do enduro's with the bike?

I assume you will be working "away". You will be servicing the KTM every 2 months and the BMW's every 3 months. Do you have a dealer close to where you will be working?

The route will be from work in Steelpoort / Burgersfort in ET to home in Carletonville. No dealer close to either location.
Just here for the ride
'10 BMW F800GS
'09 Honda CRF230

Offline Willehond

• Go ahead, make my day!
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 11:46:23 am »
You "could" do that commute on a B200 pharmacy bike with "some" modification to the suspension etc.. What's the point in that??
Buy the right tool for the job, with the least modification needed. To me that tool would be one of the GS12 options, no 2 ways about it.
I did 40 000km on my GS before owning my 990 on which I've done about 14 000km. Sure, the 990 is more fun, especially when it gets rough.

But for long distance commuting, different seasons and conditions you can't fault the GS. When you have to do a trip that will become mundane, and it sounds like it will, you want something that will make it as effortless as possible. With heated grips, height adjustable seat, shaft drive, good wind protection and long service intervals the GS is your answer. Add to that the light handling and tubeless tyres and the decision becomes an easy one...

PS: I fully agree with the statement that you need to go ride all the options properly though.

I also prefer, would go for the least mods required advice. I rode an '06 1200GS for a while. Insurance costs were very high.
Just here for the ride
'10 BMW F800GS
'09 Honda CRF230

Offline JacoM

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 12:41:31 pm »
Willehond, you say you rode a 1200GS for a while and found it too heavy for the offroad stuff. Did you know that the 990 is actually slightly heavier on the scale, and to top this, it feels a hell of a lot heavier due to the extra height? (Bulk of GS weight around your ankles, while the bulk of the weight on the 990 is closer to your knees!)

In my view, for the GS - much lower fuel consumtion, non-tiring ride, longer service intervals, low revving engine, which should see more kilo's + shaft drive, etc? (More reliable????

For the 990 - the emotional choice. (Punt) If you forfeit the above for pure riding pleasure - go for it!

Best still, go test ride. This is exactly what I am busy doing!
All the best

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 12:45:54 pm »
Willehond, you say you rode a 1200GS for a while and found it too heavy for the offroad stuff. Did you know that the 990 is actually slightly heavier on the scale, and to top this, it feels a hell of a lot heavier due to the extra height? (Bulk of GS weight around your ankles, while the bulk of the weight on the 990 is closer to your knees!)In my view, for the GS - much lower fuel consumtion, non-tiring ride, longer service intervals, low revving engine, which should see more kilo's + shaft drive, etc? (More reliable????

For the 990 - the emotional choice. (Punt) If you forfeit the above for pure riding pleasure - go for it!

All the best

You have evidently not ridden a 990 offroad and in difficult places???
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline JacoM

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2010, 01:16:20 pm »
Willehond, you say you rode a 1200GS for a while and found it too heavy for the offroad stuff. Did you know that the 990 is actually slightly heavier on the scale, and to top this, it feels a hell of a lot heavier due to the extra height? (Bulk of GS weight around your ankles, while the bulk of the weight on the 990 is closer to your knees!)In my view, for the GS - much lower fuel consumtion, non-tiring ride, longer service intervals, low revving engine, which should see more kilo's + shaft drive, etc? (More reliable????

All the best

You have evidently not ridden a 990 offroad and in difficult places???

ETS, I rode the 990R in deep sand and a rocky dry river crossing. Not sure if this fits any description of "difficult places" and did a back to back test vs. the 1200GS. The 990R felt heavier. Obviously, if you increase the speed then the weight dissapears  - this applies to both bikes though.
No doubt that the 990R was easier to handle in the "rough stuff"  - but,
it still felt heavier and Willehond made a comment re weight.
If commuting for years to come is the name of the game, I would go for the 1200GS. If offroad performance is preferred above "effortless" commuting, I would go for the 990R

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2010, 01:59:10 pm »
990....no question, more expensive to run but more fun...

Which KTM dealers would you guys recommend in Gauteng?

Factory Racing in Mulbarton....

On the other hand, have you considered/ridden the Yammie ST?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2010, 02:22:52 pm »
here are some thoughts on the KTM (950). I have just short of 100 000Kms on the clock, I ride her everyday. At present I commute 200kms per day (1000Km/week) and then still ride weekends. Longest 1 day in the saddle blast was 1200kms, kept the speed at 160 and the motor just purred, and I could walk after the ride  ;D. Had the usual problems...fuel pump (replaced with facet), clutch slave cylinder (replaced with 990's cylinder)  mmmm that it. Oh I had the pistons and rings inspected about 2000kms ago... :thumleft: every good.

Is the 950/990 better than the 1200....all depends on what you want from a bike and your riding style. I do believe if I had bought a 1200 when I tested the bikes I would have sold it quickly and bought the 950. Just fits my riding style and what I want from a bike.

I do think the 1200, Yammie or BMW, are better tar and gravel touring machines, but when things get interesting or when you want to go play. Then the KTM offers more. Better suspension, ground clearance, balance, fun factor.

Just my un-bi-assed opinion  :biggrin:

Buks

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2010, 03:44:26 pm »
 :pot: if you want low cost reliable service for your situation, year after year, go for a TransAlp 700 !

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • This site contains cookies.....
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2010, 04:21:51 pm »
 :P
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline Brakenjan

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2010, 04:25:04 pm »
Wanted to post this:

Wow Willehond, you have achieved the unthinkable - three pages of unbiased, great advice from KTM and BMW riders alike.  :thumleft:

And then Chicco came along.....   >:(   ;)    :biggrin:

Offline Willehond

• Go ahead, make my day!
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2010, 05:26:06 pm »
Wanted to post this:

Wow Willehond, you have achieved the unthinkable - three pages of unbiased, great advice from KTM and BMW riders alike.  :thumleft:

I'm actually very impressed with the unbiased opinions & great advice from all.
Just here for the ride
'10 BMW F800GS
'09 Honda CRF230

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2010, 05:29:56 pm »
Wanted to post this:

I'm actually very impressed with the unbiased opinions & great advice from all.

Read the first page. That is where the sensible advice stopped!!
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline Willehond

• Go ahead, make my day!
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2010, 06:23:40 pm »
ETS, I rode the 990R in deep sand and a rocky dry river crossing. Not sure if this fits any description of "difficult places" and did a back to back test vs. the 1200GS. The 990R felt heavier. Obviously, if you increase the speed then the weight dissapears  - this applies to both bikes though.
No doubt that the 990R was easier to handle in the "rough stuff"  - but,
it still felt heavier and Willehond made a comment re weight.
If commuting for years to come is the name of the game, I would go for the 1200GS. If offroad performance is preferred above "effortless" commuting, I would go for the 990R

JacoM, because I am short I would have to go for the normal 990, not the R. There is a 55mm difference in height. I don't know if this would have made a difference in the riding which you describe here. Would it still feel heavier, with the centre of balance more than 2 inches lower?

Similarly, I would go for the 1200GS with the low seat, if I bought one.
Just here for the ride
'10 BMW F800GS
'09 Honda CRF230