Help me choose a adv!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandaattack1

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Hi All!

I finally made the call to sell my offroad race bike. Having dust in my veins, I can't NOT be on the dirt or in the mud somewhere over a weekend.

I am too precious over my Ducati Multi to constantly pull her through the dust, mud and rocks. Therefor I am looking at buying an additional bike more aimed at the dirty 'offroading' trips.

There's too many options! If you had to spend 100k on an adv bike today, what would you buy?

My main concern are highways. I need to be able to do highway kms at 140-150km/h comfortably. I live in Gauteng and want to be able to go on the lesotho/swazi/cape trips without holding up my palooka friends. My old man also recently bought a Desert X, so I see quite a few dirt trips in our future.

I should not do any more dangerous riding, so I won't be tackling anything too extreme on the bike.

There are loads of 990 KTMs in my price bracket, but maintenance and parts availablitlity is a bit worrying to me. Maybe I am being over sensitive. Other KTM options seem too expensive at the moment. I love KTM and would prefer to always have a KTM in my stable.

I can't overlook the effectiveness of the BMW offerings though. The F800 is on my radar. A ton of support and local parts and the bike is more than capable for my needs. If I go GS 800, I might as well consider the 1200 as well right? Loads of used options on the market, and a ton of aftermarket support. Is this the way I should go? I've seen okes do some insane stuff on the 1200 bikes. I see the 800 and 1200 weight nearly the same, why would I go 800? Hmmm.