Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Number plate warning!  (Read 952 times)

Offline Ratel

Number plate warning!
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:03:28 pm »
from the Star today:

Unlicensed motorbikes to be impounded
2007-04-02 06:00:00 Edition 2
"No plates, then lose your wheels." [ Full Story... ]

Wayne Minnaar of Metro fame said today that they are going to hold roadblocks regularly to find and prosecute bike riders that do not put number plates on their bikes.

Your bike will be impounded as well.

You have been warned!

http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=2468[/quote]
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline Leo

Number plate warning!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:27:00 pm »
Smaak my die koeltekonte raak nou ernstig  :roll:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Grootseun

Number plate warning!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 09:57:27 pm »
If my numberplate is on the bike.. but  you cant see the numbers.. will they still impoun it?\
My mate told me, that he got pulled over by the cops along with his other  squid mate, my mate got a fine for illegal size number plate, his mate got a very large fine for not having a number plate at all.

I will turn my plate around again so the numbers dont  show towards the rear wheel.. but rather so the KK can see tha im legal.

Offline Hermanator

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Wine brings out the best in me!
Number plate warning!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 09:59:03 pm »
And this is making SA safe is it? Wit your correct size number plate, you'll feel safer riding in crime-free SA.

I think I'll hold two fingers in the air to them as I ride past with a number plate cloned  off a coppers bike.

The b@stards won't set up a road block outside the bus depot and stop all those buses dropping diesel, will they?

Lawrence

Offline Grootseun

Number plate warning!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:04:40 pm »
'tis the nature of things..
they rely on the "good" citizens to feel guilty, and obey the law, thus when you transgress, you get fined and thus pay.. where if you just stepped out of the jungle, get a fine for driving an overloaded minibus with a bunch of schoolkids in, they know youre not gonna pay.

Like paying taxes in this country, we subsidise all the farkers that dont actually give s shit  and live a great corrupt life.

Offline spyker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
Number plate warning!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 10:09:39 pm »
Methinks it's time to put my 'plate back on...  :roll:
I've been enjoying buzzing all the fixed cameras without my plate. :D
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline Hermanator

• Race Dog
  • Wine brings out the best in me!
Number plate warning!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 11:47:30 am »
Yesterday I saw the ultimate two fingers to the establishment.

A fairly significantly overweight bloke (read, really fat) with an equally overweight daughter/girlfriend riding a labouring old chinese "scrambler", through the Cape Town city centre, no number plate, no visible tax disc and she had no helmet.

Maybe we actually give a sh1t, too much!

Lawrence

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Number plate warning!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 02:28:20 pm »
Just for the record I was at Planet Moto today and there was a chap on a Bennelli 900 who had has bike impounded yesterday for not having a no plate. he was at Planet Moto to fit his plate today :D  So it sounds like them peegs are serious
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Grootseun

Number plate warning!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 02:35:17 pm »
Quote from: "Clockwork Orange"
hem peegs are serious

yeah right...how can you take anyone serious that writes tickets and catch people for speeding for a living..it's like prefects at school, sure they enforce the rules.. but you dont REALLY take them serious..

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
Number plate warning!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 02:43:25 pm »
Quote from: "Grootseun"
Quote from: "Clockwork Orange"
hem peegs are serious

yeah right...how can you take anyone serious that writes tickets and catch people for speeding for a living..it's like prefects at school, sure they enforce the rules.. but you dont REALLY take them serious..

Quite right GS, but I am going to be one pissed off individual if I had to pay a fat fine, find alternative transport home and then have to pay an even fatter release fee to get the bike back only to find that there are now numerous scratches in goeters on the bike as they do not give a damn when loading and unloading your bike. :evil:  I think I will keep my plate on rather.

Offline Grootseun

Number plate warning!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 02:46:59 pm »
im with you CO, i try to be as law-abiding as possible sometimes i am alittle naughty tho!! :lol:  :lol:  8)
PS, i can still laugh at them peegs and thing they are ridiculous while abeying the law..

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
Number plate warning!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 02:48:33 pm »
Trust me GS, I am no angel in this regard :twisted:

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
Number plate warning!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 04:25:58 pm »
We all moan about the KK picking on the bikers, but what makes not having a number plate any different from an unroadworthy taxi? Sure there are safety issue differences, but at the end of the day a bike without a number plate is illegal, just as an unroadworthy taxi. A different law, but still a law. The reason the KK are going mad over bikes is that they are gatvol of all the guys speeding and getting away with it. IMO a taxi with bald tyres is just as dangerous as someone doing 200kph+ on his superbike on public roads.
For those of us that always have our number plates on and legal, It annoys me that I will get stopped in the same roadblock as the rest of the  bikers without plates, I then have to go through all the rigmarole of taking off helmet and gloves, and then produce my licence, wasting my riding time because of those that insist on riding without a plate!
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Number plate warning!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 04:44:13 pm »
sorry Adv, I must admit that I think a taxi - as its carrying passengers - is far more dangerous with bald tyres, than a speeding bike.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
Number plate warning!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 04:54:36 pm »
You're right Lito, but I'm not going to argue the point, a law is still a law, just as it is illegal to litter or pee on the sidewalk in public, if we all (including myself :D ) had a bit more respect for the laws of this country, it would be a better place.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Number plate warning!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 05:21:01 pm »
amen

but law and order in this country is like military intelligence... a contradiction in terms

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • bwk
Number plate warning!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 06:40:46 pm »
On this one I'm with Adventurer.  I speed and pay up when caught (not that it happens that often  :D).  

Lito, I know the cliche "Military Intelligence is contradition in terms" but I have to say, working with civvies - they have a long way to go to get there!   :evil:  :evil:  :D
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
Number plate warning!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 11:36:03 am »
Just another angle on it:

How would you feel if someone in a car without numberplate smashed into your car and rode away, or worse, knocked a family member down? You cannot report the car, as you cannot identify it.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
Number plate warning!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 11:56:10 am »
Is it even legal to impound your bike for not having a number plate on?

A while back the KK even used a bus & arrested people on the spot for outstanding fines and this proved to be illegal, so just wondering.
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
Number plate warning!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 12:31:32 pm »
Quote from: "BlouVark"
Is it even legal to impound your bike for not having a number plate on?

They ride the fact that you can't actually prove that the bike belongs to you and, following, assume that it is stolen, and impound it until you can prove that it belongs to you.  AFAIK.

Quote from: "BlouVark"
A while back the KK even used a bus & arrested people on the spot for outstanding fines and this proved to be illegal, so just wondering.

They can arrest you on the spot if they have a judge/magistrate present to sign a warrant for your arrest.  Otherwise, if they don't have an original warrant for your arrest, it is indeed illegal to arrest you.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.