Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Where is ATGATT more needed...  (Read 1418 times)

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: Where is ATGATT more needed...
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 10:01:14 am »
Obviously the more gear the less the injury, its all about acceptable risk.Riding a bike isn't the most dangerous
pass time about.
Would those adamant on AGGAT: Drive a cage after a few beers ?
                                                    : Travel in the back of a LDV ?
                                                    : Travel in a car without a safety belt ?
                                                    : Travel in a car not fitted with air bags ?

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Yes, if it has seat belts...
Just been promoted to Oberstabsfeldwebel... >:D

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 11:12:17 am »
I must admit I rode the seveweekspoort pass with my helmet and jacket strapped to the back of my bike , I couldnt resist the feeling of riding slowly through this incredible pass with the wind in my no hair - that experience was priceless . I spent three months on an enfield in India riding around the Himalayas with a fine cotton shirt and jeans - priceless , I am not dead yet and have lived a little .I think you have to choose your moment - I hit a sheep while belting along a dirt road and at that time I was thankful of my ATGATT - but when riding fast on dirt I would recommend gear , that said sometimes I am so happy with the wind and total immersion in the experience . I am not advocating no ATGATT but for me sometimes the experience comes before the cotton wool - this is a personal choice and the memories of when I stepped outside what is responsible will stay with me in a special place . I also enjoy mountain climbing , surfing and crossing roads - all of which are terribly dangerous

Offline Offside

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:33 am »
            :sex  without a condom ?

Offline Trumpet

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2011, 11:29:07 am »
To me it's about minimising the risk of injuries that could keep me out of work. I'm self employed - no work, no pay. Yes, the income protection plan thingie will pay some of the bills, but thereafter it's start to use capital - capital I've worked long & hard for!

My responsibility is to my wife & children. I take that very seriously. Therefore I try & protect myself as much as possible.

Road - Lookwell touring jacket & either leather or textile pants. Helmet, gloves, boots.
Track - 1 piece leathers. Helmet, gloves & boots.
Dirt - Ballistic vest, MX shirt & pants, knee braces, helmet gloves & boots.

I've seen how roasties can incapacitate. I've also seen how a snapped ankle can incapacitate - for a long time, just 'cause it was "down to the shops & I'll sommer wear my tekkies", likewise a shattered knee.

As the saying goes - as jy dom is moet jy voel.
You cannot change what is, But you can change your perception of what is, And if you change your perception of what is, Then you actually change what is.

Offline King Louis

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 11:42:16 am »
The one thing I've accepted over the years is NOT to tell anybody how to dress and how to ride. You do as you please, live with it. Enjoy the ride and enjoy the consequences.

I'm an ATGATT man, my skin is too valuable an my family wants me in one piece.

Tar: Boots, gloves, biker pants, jacket, helmet
Gravel: MX boots (learnt the hard way...), gloves, breast/back armour, leatt brace, helmet

Offline SteveKLE

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 04:16:41 pm »
This was me yesterday at 6:30 am after a car jumped a robot ..... I was on a mountainbike. Life is all about risks and I often do local trips in t/shirt & shorts as it is impractical to dress up for a 5min ride!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:18:44 pm by SteveKLE »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 07:21:59 pm »
One of my son's friends wanted to buy a motorcycle. His dad is very much against bikes, but as the son is 26years old and earns own money, all the dad could say to him was;"as jy dom is moet jy voel".  So you see, for some there is risk in riding without atgatt, for many there is huge risk just being on a bike. Dress so that you feel comfy. If you sweat like a pig under your atgatt, then you can quote this jewel of stupidity; "I'd rather sweat than bleed" :xxbah:

Offline SteveKLE

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »
2sd ... I hear you. But everything we do has an element of risk. As I don't remember when I last used a car, my bike is used as a daily run around, bor business and personal use. There is no way anyone will get dressed in boots, pants, jacket etc to ride to a shop around the corner.

I know the risks involved and I accept them whilst I also try ride within my own comfort zone. No-one says a cyclist is a fool if he does 90km/h down a hill wearing nothing but a polystyrene hat full of holes and brightly coloured lycra ...

Yes I did spend time in intensive care .... after a car crash, that's why I ride a motorcycle - its safer!!

Offline Bossies

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2011, 12:51:49 pm »
My thought on the matter: Live and let live. If your are senseless enough to not use ATGATT then that's fine. You wont affect anyone around you by not wearing ATGATT other than the trauma of the children in the back of the car that hits you seeing a crumpled heap attached to a helmet smeered across the road.

1. UK stats : 80% of accidents happen within 1km of leaving home. So this would certainly include the quick milk run.
2. Most accidents happen at slow speed. Please don't take that as an excuse to therefore go fast... What it means is sharpen up your slow control skills.
3. You that commute know how quickly you get into your kit in the morning 2-3 minutes. So "IT takes too long!" is no reason not to wear ATGATT
4. Most jackets come with a little zipper stitched to the bottom of the back of the jacket. The idea is that the the "loose" end is attached to your trousers you wear when riding. Make sure to attach and use this zipper as it will almost certainly avoid the type of back abrasion injury suffered by that girl on the PE toy run.
5. Do you realise how many nerves run through the palm of your hand. Do you realise that without your hands most of you can't work. So use your gloves.
6. In most types of accidents of any kind what do you see lying around afterwards...shoes. Make sure you wear proper shoes that are properly tied that fully protect your ankles and shins.
7. Thinking that jeans will help is laughable. If you don't want to wear proper bike trousers then at least get the kevlar padded jeans.
8. Bones heal relatively quickly but a skingraft in a superbug infested hospital might take a bit longer. Most jackets are well ventilated and designed specifically for our conditions.
9. Tar vs Gravel - wear the same either way. A graze is a graze.

Side-track point about most accidents happening at slow speed: How on earth do you want to convince me to use a bicycle on a normal road only with a g-string, fingerless groves and a styrefoam helmet - suicide I tell you.

Enough said

Safe riding all!!!
If there's a will there's a way...so I will anyway!!!
http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
BMX, Orange "Help-my-trap", Honda Lead 50, TW125, XJ600s, Funduro, XJ900s, XR250, DL650VStrom, DR650SE, R80GS Now: Bikeless

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2011, 02:49:45 pm »
Ou Bees (my wife Milly) refuses to ride with me if we're not "dressed" the full ATGATT even if we go for a slow ride next to the sea . . .

We often quarrel about this, and at the end we both don't go.

Moral of the story - I know she's right . . . .  :deal:
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 04:53:54 pm »
6. In most types of accidents of any kind what do you see lying around afterwards...shoes. Make sure you wear proper shoes that are properly tied that fully protect your ankles and shins.
Actually any shoe is useless... proper boots are the most important apparel next to a helmet.
This is based on my experience in order of importance;
Helmet = Grey matter is turned into slap jelly in an instant.
Boots = Most injuries actually involve the legs and feet.
Knee Guard/Protection = as above.
Gloves = One always tries to break that fall with outstretched hands.
Jacket = to protect the shoulders and escape the roasties.
Pants = For that day you do a bumslide. (I often pass on this for the milk runs.)
Anything else is you use is a bonus protection wize, the above I believe is the bare minimum ATGATT.

Geotraveller

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2011, 07:05:03 am »
I guess what I'm saying is how come so few road bike riders don't wear full ATGATT when they are the ones likely to need it most?
They have not fallen hard enough or often enough... yet... >:D
Pure luck imho.
I wear all my gear just to go buy milk. :deal:

+1 Been seeing a few blokes between Harties and Jhb in shirts.jeans on most days these last two weeks.

You've bought it wear it

Offline Tweets

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Centurion
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2011, 12:13:12 pm »
All of these guys that ride around with T-shirts, live in KoeKoe land, or are visiting from some perfect planet somewhere. Yes I occasionally take a chance and "putter" on down to the local hardware shop, ATM teller , postoffice etc, with the small 125's, or 400XT bikes, ALLWAYS wearing at least shoes, and so on. My list of priorities (apart from Helmet) is shoes, long jeans, gloves, jacket. This is for just scooting around the "patch".

Going anywhere else. Boots, Riding Long Pants, Gloves, JACKET, JACKET, JACKET.

After my recent  fall with the 1200GS on dirt, on the way to Vanderkloof Dam, I can assure you all. I could'nt care what boney you ride. Buy (invest In) a BMW jacket. Even if you take the badges off and sew others on, thats fine, but BUY THE JACKET, even if its 2nd hand!  I believe I owe my life to the use of the BMW Rally Pro II jacket I was wearing at the time. Just about no marks on it, but I was bashed by the biking flipping over me, bouncing on my chest (breaking 5 ribs back and front) then skidding to a halt. The protection this jacket provides in exceptional. This is NOT just a jacket. It is a SYSTEM, you wear, for torsoe & arm protection. My 5c worth 
Borrow money from pessimists - they dont expect it back
Current bikes : 1200GS, 800GS, 400XT

Offline Coala

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2011, 07:35:15 am »
+1

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2011, 12:34:26 pm »
On second thoughts, this is a no question.  AGATT required all the time on a bike.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2011, 08:13:12 pm »
 :peepwall:
All the atgatt all the time saves you from having to install a sauna at home.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2011, 09:00:31 am »
If I just go to town and back or ride to the shops or around town I often leave my jacket at home/work esp in Summer , although I always wear helmet and gloves, and usually small knee guards and closed shoes.  I think accidents often happen near home because you have not woken up from sleep or put yourself into full concentration mode yet or are day dreaming. I am a firm believer that total concentration , observation, eyes in the back of your head and common sense is just as important , if not more so , than full ATGATT.

On any other rides I wear ATGATT esp MX Boots and knee guards as that is what people hurt most often .

Online Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2011, 09:34:35 am »
I see how people can get confused, it is a difficult term. ATGATT stands for:

ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME!!!!

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2011, 12:28:26 pm »
I have have had some unforgiving tumbles but AGATT sent me smiling home.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Offside

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2011, 12:56:32 pm »
Id be a fool to knock AGGAT, fallen to many times for that.
Any pearson who is not office bound and who uses a bike as a sole mode of transpost will soon find that Agggat is absolutely
imposable.More time would be spent changing gear than getting anything done.