Lc 4 640E mods help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phumba

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Finaly got my hands on a 2002 Ktm 640 Enduro (with only 7000k's on the clock) so, armed with reams of downloads from Advrider on the must do mods and some beers we started spannering. Exhaust core removal first ~ removed the endcap and oops "what the f is this blocking plate contraption." No mention of it in the instructions. No problem, just drill it out. Oops. "where the f are the little disks one is supposed to remove?"
This is clearly not the same pipe as is fitted to our USA friend's bikes. By mutual agreement it was decided to rather just drink the beer until local expert advice could be obtained. Question ~ are the suggested carb mods(vacuum pipe, jetting, electronic emission restrictor thingy etc) relevant to SA bikes. What mods are recommended?

As for first impressions~ having downscaled (or upgraded?)from a 950 I thought it a bit underpowered at first untill I went offroad. To be honost I found the 950's weight and size a bit intimidating. The 640 handles like a dream offroad and i feel a hell of lot more confidence gassing it. Front suspension is a bit soft and it definately needs larger footpegs and brake pedal. Even managed to lift it in second despite my "large frame". Vibration was worse than I expected but managable. Can see i am going to enjoy this bike.