Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Coolest thing in Johanesburg?  (Read 1889 times)

Online Wild Hearted Son

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
Re: Coolest thing in Johanesburg?
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, 04:36:40 pm »
Just recently found out that Gold Reef City has the deepest pub in the world
Apparently the old gold mine there used to use donkeys to haul the ore carts & they've turned the old underground stable into a pub.
cool...
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

Offline witold_dc

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 11:40:04 am »

Gentelmen,

And Dogz,

I'm officially here in Joburg.  I arrived a few days ago.  Of course, I had to come back here and give you guys my first impression.

The city is quite alright.  It is very green and has some excellent neighborhoods.  It is not nearly as ghetto I thought it would be.  (but then again, I haven't really gone out at night.)  The only big negative right now is that is it very sprawling and it is hard - well, expensive - to take taxis everywhere. 

Also, I made my lodging reservations about 30 minutes before leaving for the airport in DC.  I aqm staying in Bramley.  I like the houses here, but there is little else around and I thought it would be within a long walk to Sandton which, as you all know, it is not. 

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 11:52:34 am »

Gentelmen,

And Dogz,

I'm officially here in Joburg.  I arrived a few days ago.  Of course, I had to come back here and give you guys my first impression.

The city is quite alright.  It is very green and has some excellent neighborhoods.  It is not nearly as ghetto I thought it would be.  (but then again, I haven't really gone out at night.)  The only big negative right now is that is it very sprawling and it is hard - well, expensive - to take taxis everywhere. 

Also, I made my lodging reservations about 30 minutes before leaving for the airport in DC.  I aqm staying in Bramley.  I like the houses here, but there is little else around and I thought it would be within a long walk to Sandton which, as you all know, it is not. 

'The City" is where exactly?  O0

Yesterday I was there - In via Mooi street / out via Market street.   :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Provocateur

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2011, 12:07:07 pm »

Gentelmen,

And Dogz,

All Dogz are gentlemen (or ladies), but not all gentlemen are Dogz.
Joburg is (supposedly) the greenest city in the world, not from an energy viewpoint but in the amount of trees.

Rent a bike!!  http://www.motorradrentals.com/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:09:13 pm by Provocateur »

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2011, 12:43:37 pm »

Gentelmen,

And Dogz,

So what's your plan now? Are you here on a bike? 

Offline witold_dc

• Pack Dog
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2011, 01:12:53 pm »
I should have the bike in my hands tonight.

Plan is to go to Pilanesberg for Thursday and Friday (not on the bike) .  Another tour Saturday, go to the Dogz event on Suday, and then head to Vic Falls. 

That's the plan anyway...

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:28 pm »
WHAAAAAAT, are you here already? ??

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline witold_dc

• Pack Dog
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 04:18:00 pm »

yes, yes, YES.   >:D

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2011, 07:56:22 pm »

yes, yes, YES.   >:D
bloody hell, last we spoke you said monday...did not realise it was monday this week...my apologies.....
why not venture to the wilddogs bash? we finish it off with a tractor ride thru the town with sundowners and a barbeque in the kloof.....what say you....?

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R