Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Let the Adventure Begin!  (Read 585 times)

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Making friends in high places - Peruvian Andes
Let the Adventure Begin!
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:02:42 pm »
Triumph over bureaucracy!
I had a Hell of a time getting to the right person to get my SA purchased bike registered in my name. BUT, if you are ever in my situation (foreigner on tourist visit (no long term Visa) and buying a SA motorbike) go straight to Lydia in Room #17 at the Roodepoort Town Hall (police part) and ask her to help you get a SA Identification document and register your bike.

She is competent and fast at getting the job done -- and a friendly pleasant lady too. You will need to find someone with whom you can "officially" take up residence while you are in SA - they can provide proof of their residence (water bill or lease agreement...) and write out a simple affidavit that you have moved in with them - now you have a residence and a mailing address. It involves a bit of paperwork, but Lydia knows how to make it work. It is a bit of bother, but can be done in a day if you don't get stuck somewhere in a government office with a complete petite bureaucrat -- I wasted 3 days running about getting no where.

So, now I can legally ride about in South Africa on my bike and cross borders too. :)

Today we went for a ride toward Sun City, but stopped for breakfast about 2/3s of the way there and then decided to return to the dry comforts of Pom's home as it rained most of the way there and back. We got a taste of things to come as we head around to Capetown and then UP Africa -- a flat tire on Pat's bike on the way home.

Tomorrow Pat and Christianne and I go. Kruger National Park here we come.

The adventure begins.
Tom
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should sing and dance -- and ride motorcycles.

Offline Laban

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"
Re: Let the Adventure Begin!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:10:00 pm »

Enjoy your stay!! :thumleft:
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline Loopy

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:37:02 pm »
Subscribed!

Offline Harry the Buffalo

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • I NEED Freedom!!To survive>>>>
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:40:28 pm »
Welcome in SA Boet :thumleft:
Having "GUTS" means being "SHIT" scared and still winding the throttle!!!

Offline Pom

• Amateur Grease Monkey
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Hypermotard
  • Non bastardus carborundum
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 08:18:38 am »
Great to have hosted you guys in JHB, have a fantastic trip, ride safe and enjoy South Africa :thumleft:
Success is a matter of hanging on, after others have let go.
Proudly Ducatisti

Offline BlackBeast

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:19:13 am »
Hey Guys,
Travel safe and hope to catch up with you after Kruger on the way to Durban.  Sorry we missed saying goodbye to all of you last night - we got back really late and the cheetah's tired us out.
Ride safe
Daryll & Angela
www.oneworld2explore.blogspot.com

Geotraveller

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:32:58 am »
Subscribed