Canal ride through different eyes......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blauth

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
This was going to be an all day ride. We had all received pass from the ministers of home affairs.

The ride include:
98' XR600R (47000 km)
2010 KTM690 (Barely run in)
2006 KTM640 (9000 km)

The route: Kyalami > Midrand > Railway via springs (sort of) > Bronkhorstspruit > Pretoria > Northern most point of canal ride past Britz/Jericho and then home via canals and Harties. Like I said, we had a long day planned.

The ride through the eyes of the riders......doesn't always look the same..... >:D (Email accounts of the day's ride)

Account 1 from KTM690 pilot, aka 'Race Face'
======================================================

That Honda caused lots of drama...

So shortly before the documented breakdown (see below evidence) the KTM 690r surged to the sharp end of the trio, firmly closing the door on the XR for what would ultimately be the XR's last time. The XR in one final gasp for glory (or life - you decide) let out a puff of smoke and came to a defeated, grinding halt alongside the canal (see evidence below). It appears that KTM race pace was just too much pace!!??!!

Unaware of the demise of the Honda (see evidence below) behind me, the KTM sped on, leading the charge, wheeling at will, towards the closest, coldest beer (as KTM's and their skilled pilots are known to do).

Too eager for that beer, the KTM rider took a wrong turn (which can so easily happen at KTM race pace), only to discover this navigation error some kilometres later (it takes time to slow down when you going that fast). Now believing that the aging Honda and the 640 had "overtaken" the 690 (hard to believe I know) due to the navigation error, I had no choice but to drop it down a few gears and twist the throttle wide open (again), wheeling at will...certain I would catch up in a matter of bends.

But the Honda and 640 never appeared. And then misfortune stuck...my reserve fuel light lit up the cockpit like the artic sun.  This was all the more visible as the sun was fading fast, my gps was flat and the XR and 640 were nowhere to be found. It was obvious there was not enough fuel to go on a recce looking for the ailing XR, or even just wheeling at will.  Decision time...use the last drops of fuel to wheelie at will or make a bonfire for the night or gap it for the nearest petrol station...which was approximately...who the fuck knows where....

The choice was obvious...(you thinking wheelie at will I know) but actually to gap it (too many cats around to sleep outdoors even with a big bonfire).

35km later (on a reserve tank range of 30km) the KTM (unusually) limped into Brits, alone and out of fuel. Fate had intervened...the normal wide open throttle of the 'wheeling at will KTM pilot' had been reduced XR pace. But survival instinct had kicked in. Its comforting to know that when the chips are down the inner navy seal is there lurking not far below the surface.

And the rest as they say in the classic is history...wide open again. Wheeling at will. and home in 30mins :)

Seriously boys thanks for an excellent ride- only marginally impacted by the XR. And on the bright side there is now a brand new 650L which will no doubt need KTM tools soon...

Account 2 from XR600R pilot, aka 'The old lady'

Great fictional reading............Now here is what really happened;

The old girl and I were getting bored being in front ALL the time, mostly by such a large margin that headlights couldn't even be seen in the distance......(should have brought my binoculars).....When the KTM duo finally caught up, there was much complaining about the smeared lipstick and suffering from all sorts of menstrual pains and of course that it was very dusty outdoors (and all this time I though KTM's were made for the great outdoors).

Feeling a little guilty about hogging number one spot ALL of the time, I kindly offered to sweep, besides, you never know when these KTM aunties need a little assistance over obstacles and such. It was a struggle!!! I am no longer accustomed to riding at walking pace............. Anyway, at some stage the one KTM  "had no choice but to drop it down a few gears and twist the throttle wide open (again)"  and all of a sudden it was in reverse. Shit, these KTM's are nifty, they come with a reverse gear. (mental notebook to see if Honda offers that feature in the unlikely event that I will ever need it). You will notice from the photographic evidence that even when parked, the Honda is in the front.

One of the said KTM's came with a navigation device. It's called a GPS. Apparently the GPS didn't like the KTM because it would eat it's food. (It kept dropping it's power feed). The pilot had also clearly not had sufficient training on the said navigation equipment but it was not all bad, we happened upon a shebeen with ice cold Black Label, the kind of beer real bike riders drink.

The long day of roosting fun was unfortunately nearing it's end. We were in the canals. As I led the trio through the labyrinth, I yet again had to stop and wait. First the twin lights appeared on the orange monster followed by the 690. This time at the little dam wall, you know these KTM riders get a little sulky if you don't include any romance in the ride.

Here we adopted the LIFO policy (Last in First out) so the 690 was the first to continue through the labyrinth. It is with a sad heart that this is where the old girl refused to talk to me. She knows!!!! She saw the new 650 and she knows. No amount of coercing would console her broken heart. Here I concede that we (the old girl and I) accepted a tow from the KTM. Light was getting low and there was not time to waste so like a lurching worm, the KTM with the old girl and I in tow made our way to our rendezvous point where help was waiting (Engine at Fourway stop in Harties).  We sped along, passing trucks in our wake with a pretty well coordinated attempt at the tow operation.

This is one of those rare moments where one has to be brave and acknowledge respect for the enemy. The KTM treated the prisoner (The old girl and I) OF THIS BATTLE with respect and dignity for which I say thanks.

Remember, the battle may be won, but not the WAR.

Now, that's the truth?.

Account 3 from KTM640Adventure, aka 'Monster 640'

Gents you both rather entertaining... But there a few little facts that were left out..... So....

Start time of the ride was at 07:00 sharp... Lone and behold Barry in good old traditional fashion claimed that the time was set incorrectly on his alarm clock... Well maybe there was some other reason and other riding taking place as Barry had a huge grin on his face... Good for you bud.. Only 15 minutes delayed.

Greg was still fighting with himself as to which kit he wanted to wear for the day... Greg its not a fashion show its a damn adventure ride... Mud doesn't care what colour kit you wearing its going to change it and make it brown... Only 45 minutes delayed.

.....Let's just set the record straight. Photographs don't lie.. I sent some photographs out late this evening to show exactly what happened.... And boy do they do they tell a story....

First set of photographs show Barry chowing on a lunch bar .....building up energy to start with the first service and maintenance of the day on the old lady XR ... Poor thing..

So there he goes pulling out tools and starting to fix a Honda XR with a KTM toolkit...yet again a KTM tool kit saves the day.... Take note of the orange toolkit on the floor... Barry trying to hide it...Not again hey Chris??? Service and maintenance behind the back. Chain and sprockets underway we ready to continue our adventure

Yes we eventually found a Dros for a bite to eat... Greg moaning from the time we left his house how hungry he is and could eat a horse..

Twee del dum and twee del dee playing with their navigation devices trying to establish where we are and where we going .... Boy what fun... Where was Mathew with his internal GPS and compass to lead the team to yet another awesome Dutchman jol and pool and some serious eye candy.. Yummy.. Anyway back to the ride getting somewhat distracted..

As usual Barry wanted to be captain of the ride and we all know from previous rides no one is allowed to pass the captain... Hence XR leading the pack.

So Barry being the captain took us on an awesome ride... Nice sweeps and twists so much infact that I nearly went swimming in the canal...

The 690 beast was no match for the old XR and gave way to the old lady... Then next was the 640 knocking at the door and went wizzing past.... Leaving the 690 eating some dust... Both the bikes closed the door on the 690,....

Then the inevertable happened and the old XR died.. Couldn't keep up with the pace of the ferocious race pace of the KTM duo... Barry even took the old duck for a bath in the river to no avail..

The rope that was destant for the KTMs was pulled out for the XR and trying to give the old lady some life we pulled her along aimlessly ...

Second round...The Orange KTM tool kit was brought out again... No luck the old duck was dead.... RIP ...

Greg was wringing the shit out of the poor 690 to out run the 600 + 640. On request of my bud I towed the 600 to a nearby fuel depot.

On departure I was towing at a nice respectable pace and got barked at by the grumpy rider behind me to pick up the pace... So I obliged and picked up the pace... Yes the trucks and cars were going way too slow.. Bikes should be overtaking cars and not cars overtaking bikes so we wizzed past and got to our destination in no time.

Roxy was waiting patiently for the limp 600 to arrive...

Load up. Grab a Chow and head home.. What a ride...

Thanks chaps awesome ride ...

RideReport1.jpg

RideReport2.jpg

RideReport3.jpg

RideReport4.jpg

RideReport5.jpg