Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Micro weekend ride report thread  (Read 2975 times)

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Micro weekend ride report thread
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:35:01 pm »
Seeing as everyone in this section seems basically happy with their bikes and obviously rides more than they spend time here chatting, I thought I would try start a thread were we just give a quick summary of the weekend's ride.

This last weekend I went on quite a nice ride out to Rhino Park on the back roads.  Met another guy who also has a 610, who is a mate of Blazes apparently, at the one stop on the R21 just north of Pamona. 

It was bloody freezing riding out there on the highway  :o  Lost all feeling in my hands! But the bike loved it, it seems to really like cold weather because it was flying - maybe it was just because I wanted to get into the warm Wimpy and get some hot chocolate.

From there we rode on some gravel roads out towards Rietvlei nature reserve and then cut across eastwards, sticking to dirt as far as possible until we got to Rhino park.  Had a quick cup of coffee and a toasted sandwich and then rode the thick sand and messed around in the play section a bit before doing a lap of the enduro track. 

I actually love that enduro track because it suites the 610.  Its flat and quite fast with lots of flowing turns and even a few small (tiny) jumps.  Great practice!  Every time I ride it the bike just flows through it all better.  I managed to get stuck in the swamp just after the start as well as lose it in one of the mud dongas further on - mostly due to changing my mind at the crucial moment instead of committing to a line and just riding through  :biggrin: (although the Heidenau K60's didn't help - useless in mud!)

The 610 feels nice and light until you have to pick it up when its slightly above you, then you realise its not actually an enduro bike  :P

Rode back the way we came and got home satisfied and nicely tired (started at 10am got home about 3pm)  :ricky:

It was nice riding with someone for a change, especially someone with such obvious good taste in bikes  :thumleft:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
Re: Micro weekend ride report thread
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 11:00:19 am »
 :thumleft: Great idea Alan! Nice little report too, BUT:  :useless:
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 12:01:53 pm »
Sorry no photo's we didn't stop a lot!  The object was to ride  :ricky:

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:30:52 pm »
 :peepwall: One tends to forget about pictures when you ride a Husky.... :biggrin:
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 05:20:56 pm »
This report was actually done by Rider392 under Ride Reports. Here's a shortened "Husky version":
4 Guys, rode together for the first time this past Saturday. Distance - 206km. Route : George- Montagu Pass - Paardepoort - Dysselsdorp - De Rust - Oude Muragie - Cango Caves - Oudtshoorn - Research Farm and back through Paardepoort and Montagu Pass again.
It was Rider392's inaugural ride on gravel, and we all enjoyed the calm and non-competitive way to get to know each other and to give Rider392 a chance to gain some confidence on gravel. :thumleft:
The only "bad" part was watching the Springbok vs Aussies game at the Spur in Oudtshoorn - shame.... :imaposer:
We did 80 - 90 % gravel and the rest obviously tar.
4 Totally different brands of bikes: TransAlp 650; F650Funduro; XT660Z Tenere and my TE610 - no problem; it was a joy! All lekkerr bikes!!!
And of course: I love my Husky - great suspension and handling and performance and very economical !  :ricky:
2012 Honda XR650L

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 05:34:40 pm »
 :-[ Sorry, my internet connection is SLOOWWWW!!!!
Some pics:
2012 Honda XR650L

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 05:42:01 pm »
 :bueller: And more....
2012 Honda XR650L

Offline Rider392

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 07:50:48 am »
Hey Buks, dankie vir die mooi fotos! Dit verleen kleur en waarde aan so n "ride report"
Honda xl500s,Blaster,Kawasaki Z1100

Offline TK

• Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 10:12:46 pm »
Glad you enjoyed the ride Alan. Will wait for your call for the weekends ride. :thumleft:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:29:59 am »
Haven't ridden for quite some time due to work pressure and an ongoing bout of severe spring induced hay fever that keeps turning into bad throat infections etc - I hate spring - it gets worse every year! ::)

Anyway...

Finally got on the bike again yesterday  :ricky:  :ricky:  Bliss!

Didn't have a lot of time because of work stuff but had a total blast riding the short loops in the veld near my house and then the local little MX track at Pamona.  Had great fun sliding into berms and hitting the jumps.

I know the bike isn't made for big jumps but it just handles so well I couldn't resist it.  And I needed some proper off-road stuff instead just boring tar or gravel.  The bike absorbs it all without any fuss and is always soooo easy to control. 

I'm not sure why, but the Heidenau K60's which when they were newer were a bit dicey on the track, were quite good yesterday.  Even though the back tyre is starting to reach its sell-by date.  It spins a lot but is quite easy to control when it slides out, and the front just sticks when it used to be a bit nervous.  Either I've just got used to them or they have somehow mellowed in their old age.

The world is a better place now!  Cant wait for next weekend! 

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 06:45:15 pm »
Had a nice mellow solo ride along the railway service roads starting where the train tracks cross  the road to Bapsfontein (from the R21).

I followed the railway tracks for about 70k's until they came out near Rhino Park and then rode home via my usual route about 180k's round trip.

Very pleasant ride :thumleft:

Took a camera but didnt stop for photo's  :biggrin:

But I did have my GPS with me so here is the track.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:59:46 pm by alanB »

Offline Panjo

• In Exile
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Getting ready for the Adventure!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 02:30:48 pm »
Had a nice mellow solo ride along the railway service roads starting where the train tracks cross  the road to Bapsfontein (from the R21).

I followed the railway tracks for about 70k's until they came out near Rhino Park and then rode home via my usual route about 180k's round trip.

Took a camera but didnt stop for photo's  :biggrin:

We did  a bit of this this track as well. Ended up in Cullinan for Brekkies. Here's our pics.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 02:32:24 pm by Panjo »
KTM 990 Adventure ABS
BMW 1150 GSA "DAS PEEG"
Vespa 150 PX -Sold
KTM 950 Adventure S  - Dark Knight -Sold
KTM 640-e -Sold Klr 650 -Sold kle 500 -Sold BMW C1-200 Exec -Sold BMW C1-125 - Sold

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 03:05:27 pm »
 :o :thumleft: Panjo, I'm grazy about that colourscheme on your bike!!!
2012 Honda XR650L

Offline Panjo

• In Exile
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Getting ready for the Adventure!
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 03:23:47 pm »
:o :thumleft: Panjo, I'm grazy about that colourscheme on your bike!!!
Thanks Buks. It's like body tatooing, Always a work in progress.  :biggrin:
KTM 990 Adventure ABS
BMW 1150 GSA "DAS PEEG"
Vespa 150 PX -Sold
KTM 950 Adventure S  - Dark Knight -Sold
KTM 640-e -Sold Klr 650 -Sold kle 500 -Sold BMW C1-200 Exec -Sold BMW C1-125 - Sold

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 07:48:47 pm »
Havent ridden for a few weeks - too much other stuff going on.

Went for a pleasant ride today on my usual route.

Felt very rusty and unfit.  But slowly got back into it.

I was very wobbly around the enduro track out near Cullinan, almost dropped it twice in the thick sand!

Anyway after a pleasant 200 odd k's, I was close to home and decided to take a quick detour through the veld by the Linksfield turnoff from the N3, near my home.  Only to find its been dumped absolutely full of rubble  >:(

I was really pissed off because its a nice spot to go test the bike quickly, and now its a bloody pigsty.

Anyway while I was trying to negotiate a path through all the concrete and bricks and crap.  I was too busy swearing at  the arseholes that somehow cant seem to go to the proper municipal dump a few hundred meters away and wasnt really concentrating on riding.

I rode half heartedly onto a concrete block lying on its side in an effort to get through and ran out of momentum and toppled over (legs too short  ::)).

No problems though, the bike went down very slowly without damage and I stepped off ungraceflly  :P.

Done this all before often enough, but this time as I picked my bike up I badly tore the muscles in right bicep  :dousing:.  Nasty tearing sensation!

I have no idea why it happened, because I've picked up my bike many times, and its not that heavy.

But now it looks like I'll be visiting a doctor in the morning because my arm is pretty much useless!

I managed to ride home but its got no strength and certain movements either cant be done or are too painful to try.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:50:20 pm by alanB »

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 07:18:10 am »
YEP --when you are riding a HUSKY and you get into the ZONE  :mwink: Stopping for pics is just not what is in your mind at all--

Know those tracks like the back mof my hand as well as about another 500km in my backyard --- ;)

Was thinking Alan--Maybe get some peeps together and do a Husky ride  ::)

Took my 450TE out Sunday to just do about 70km of tech stuff --practice wheelies and 360 turns --amazing how much fun it can be  :mwink:
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 07:22:17 am »
Had a nice mellow solo ride along the railway service roads starting where the train tracks cross  the road to Bapsfontein (from the R21).

Took a camera but didnt stop for photo's  :biggrin:

We did  a bit of this this track as well. Ended up in Cullinan for Brekkies. Here's our pics.

Jy het nie dalk n gps track vir hierdie pad langs treinspoor cullinan toe nie
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:23:46 am by subie »
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 10:19:26 am »
as I picked my bike up I badly tore the muscles in right bicep  .  Nasty tearing sensation!

Saw the physio this morning.  Luckily the muscle hasnt separated from the bone completely, but its "hanging on by a thread"  ::)

At least three weeks of recouperation. :P

Disturbing thing is not knowing why it happened in the 1st place, because I don't know how to avoid a repetition in the future.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 10:39:06 pm »
Fuck Alan thats a bummer - sounds like one of those freak accidents. I hope it heals quickly and you are soon back in the saddle. Whats the docs take on the cause?
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 08:22:54 am »
Fuck Alan thats a bummer - sounds like one of those freak accidents. I hope it heals quickly and you are soon back in the saddle. Whats the docs take on the cause?

The physio didnt say.

I think its because I wasnt riding fit (recently had quite nasty flu so its been about a month since I rode) and maybe deep down I'm just a weakling  :biggrin:

Its irritating because I have been trying to get back on the bike for the last few weeks but each weekend something would come up.  I really looked forward to this last Sunday and finally went for a ride and now I've got to sit on my bum for another three weeks  >:(