Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: It's time to put the pig down  (Read 1184 times)

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
It's time to put the pig down
« on: May 23, 2007, 11:02:20 pm »
So the BlouVark has just past the 52k mark & I've settled in nicely in my new job so I thought it's time to treat the old pig.

Quick visit to the local BMW stealership & had a nice chat to Hannes. Basically I want them to give her a full service & replace all fluids, replace final drive bearing & seal(got some play on the hub), sync the throttle bodies & finally replace the clutch.

Quote - R10640,00.

So after picking myself up, I said OK, go ahead. Sorry no stock, will have to order, that was Monday & no clutch as yet.

I'm going to miss her, but I doubt a caset type clutch, chain & sprocket & wheel bearings will amount to 10k.

Time for a change me thinks
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 12:08:01 am »
Good chain R600, sprocket set R500, wheel bearings at any bearing place around R70 each. Clutch plate set around R500. All for less than R2000 and the best of all it's an easy diy job, going to the dark side ?
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 06:32:34 am »
BV great to hear from you again.  Have you seen the cost breakdown?  I know that with my clutch problem, the parts (clutch, slave cylinder and pressure plate) was about 3,5 k plus a whole whack of labour as they basically take everything apart.
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline tsiklonaut

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1100GS
    • Ühel Teljel Ümber Planeedi
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 08:54:16 am »
Hmm... Looks like a normal ripoff service cost to me. Well qualified Jap companies quote about the same here. Only small workshops do considerably cheaper.

But why not learn and to do it your own?

Buying Haynes or Clymer manual is your best investment to start servicing and constantly monitoring your bike's health on your own and believe me the bike's reliability improves by massive amount too because you're careful and critical on things which average mechanic isn't, since it's your bike, not his.

Something wrong with the FD bearing then? Why you need to replace it? If it's about to give up you can replace it your own, even aside the road it's possible. I always carry main FD bearing and main seal with me on my travels, costs a lot less than a D.I.D. o- or -x ring chain set, mine have lasted over 50+Ks now on the current GS and no signs of giving up yet, I reckon it'd be at least 3-5 sets of chains with my riding style. FD bearing and seal set costed me around 80USD (dunno huw much Rs it is), while I bought quality chain+sprocket sets for around 250-300USD and they lasted some 10K on me sportbike - calculate the cost-of-running difference.  8)

For engine I use semi-synth oils for cars. Cheap as chips and lubricates as good as a vaseline :D. For gearbox and FD I use high quality fully synthetic transmission oils coz I think these parts are the most critical on GS. 1L bottle of 80W-90 GL5 spec oil does all for you and it's relatively cheap too.

I buy MANN oil/air/fuel filters that are basically 100% OEM, just not "BMW" written on them, but they're cheaper than the ones having "BMW" written on them.

Couple of other dead-easy-on-the-boxer checks & adjustments (idle, TBS sync, valves), some WD-40 (cables) and some pivot painting (footpegs, stands), and you're basically done.

Haven't replaced the clutch yet meself because of no need, but the kits are going around cheap - replacing clutch I can give you BMW PDF manual making it much easier compared to most guys who do it a bit wrong-way-round and think it's very complicated. 50K mark is very short for your clutch tho, have you ridden it very technica-offroad or do you change gears like you have an semi-autmatic transmission? :D Usually around 80-100K mark is an average for GS. Some last post-150K too.

Full service you can do around 1-2 hours for your GS and running GS on the road costs considerably less than an average (6000km intervalled) jap from my experiences IMHO. No specialized motorcycle oils/filters etc expensive bits needed and most of all it's much easier to do it on a highly accessible boxer than a overengineered jap-crap having everything hidden under plastic and other layer of the stuff made out of soft cheese from my experiences.

Oh, what the ferk is "amp" btw?  :shock:
Horsepower
is an illusory
Mathematical equation
Torque
is the source of all Good things in the world

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 08:57:04 am »
Yeah - the clutch is probably the single most expensive thing there.

Side rotating boxer does make for interesting clutch replacement.
The subframe, shaft and gearbox is all kind of in the way...

:(

Edit - this got posted as tsiklonaut posted his comprehensive reply - I'll go and check again about the clutch...
I was also wondering about the &Amp thing ...
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 09:27:41 am »
Quote from: "Eisbein"
Yeah - the clutch is probably the single most expensive thing there.

Side rotating boxer does make for interesting clutch replacement.
The subframe, shaft and gearbox is all kind of in the way...

:(

Edit - this got posted as tsiklonaut posted his comprehensive reply - I'll go and check again about the clutch...

I agree with Tsiklo, I posted a detailed report on changing that final drive bearing it was about R500 total. Dead easy, and I did not change the seal, no problems.

As to the clutch, it got a bit cooked in some mud one day I believe.

Welsh  8)  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Ballies

• Cut me loose
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • KTM 950 Adventure Rules!!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 12:44:03 pm »

+1
 :)

Please enlighten us.
I want a shark with a frikken laser beam

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 02:18:07 pm »
Gearbox is a piece of piss to do  but will take you the best of six hours hence the reason for BMW's labour price. I have done it four times and trust me it is a big job but certainly not hard.

Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 03:02:31 pm »
No man, that pic will frighten him, he is working in a spanner environment, so its probably frowned upon, to wield them yourself, sets a bad example?

Welsh  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

"Put the spanner down son and step away from the technology...thats it nice and easy..."
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 11:53:56 pm »
Sorry about the &amp thing. I posted it from my phone (P910) and for some reason it adds amp with every & sign.

Mystery solved.

That pic with the GS in pieces.....goedere bliksem.....I'll just make things worse.

Thanks for all the advice but the point is something like this should not cost 10K.

Hand me a chain & sprocket....

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 06:40:29 am »
Quote from: "BlouVark"

Hand me a chain & sprocket....

Capitulated quite quickly I see. Katoom on the way, I say. :twisted:  :D  :wink:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 11:49:03 am »
Question; do you have to replace the clutch or do you want to?
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 04:20:12 pm »
Quote from: "Welsh"
I posted a detailed report on changing that final drive bearing it was about R500 total. Dead easy,

Please sir, may I have a link?

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 04:28:17 pm »
Quote from: "Metaljockey"
Quote from: "Welsh"
I posted a detailed report on changing that final drive bearing it was about R500 total. Dead easy,

Please sir, may I have a link?

I will look as long as it was not deleted by BBBS / Ou Ryperd in a moment of madness.

Got it http://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1011&highlight=tlc

If it does not work go search for "TLC DAY FOR A PIG" use the all terms box.

If I did it again I would not remover the whole bevel box just the black cover is enough.

Welsh  8)  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 11:33:53 am »
Quote from: "Stephan"
Question; do you have to replace the clutch or do you want to?

Have to, I would never want to blow 10K.

Seriously though, it's got progressively worse & although it's currently just slipping badly whenever a lot of torgue is put down, I rather replace it before it leaves me stranded. If that should happen I'll burn the varking thing.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 12:04:59 pm »
A freind of mine had his clutch plate relined for under R100-00, on an 1150 RT, it had been contaminated with oil from a leaking crank seal. This could be another option for you.
You can also get a new clutch plate cheaper from Cytech, I will get you a price early next week.
You still interested in that SW Motech topbox?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline pgpatrick

• Pack Dog
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 10:34:47 am »
Quote from: ballies

&Amp; is the html escape code for the & symbol. Pretty much like   is the code for a space...

It's only really useful where you're not sure if you're getting plain text onto a page, but obviously everything we say here is plane text, so the forum just ignores escapes...